errors on disk

Old March 29th 10, 10:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
JS[_2_]

Default errors on disk

I am still trying to figure out how. I looked on the cd,and it wanted to
reinstall, does the cd have a repair feature on it so I don't have to
reinstall?

Jim

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 08:46:04 -0500, JS wrote:

Nil,
I will try to get a complete path of that file. In the meantime, I did F8
again and ran the "repair the computer" and again everything came out
successful. Is this the same as chkdsk? Could it be missing this spot?

Repair and chkdsk are completely different. Repair replaces files and
registry stuff. Chkdsk works on the underlying file system and hardware.

You need to run chkdsk.

JS

"Nil" wrote in message
On 26 Mar 2010, "JS" wrote in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

I thought what I wrote is the path. What else do I need to
include? If the file is a font,and I don't use it, could I just
delete it? Or would this problem show up on another file in the
same location?

The path you mentioned is incomplete. Here's the path to my copy of
the file - it may be the same as yours:

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-font-truetype-kartika_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_07f55 da51be87b32\kartika.ttf

You can probably get away without that font, but it may be used by
the system, so you might need to replace it later. I don't know for
sure. You also might find that Windows replaces it with a backup
copy. That would be OK if it did.

You also might find that once you eliminate that file, that your
scan hangs on a different file that is also stored in that bad area.
You need to do a successful CHKDSK as soon as possible so that bad
physical spots on the disk will be flagged as such and won't be used
by the system any more.

I'll start trying your other ideas.

Good luck.

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

Old March 29th 10, 10:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:03:53 -0500, JS wrote:

I am still trying to figure out how. I looked on the cd,and it wanted to
reinstall, does the cd have a repair feature on it so I don't have to
reinstall?

They used to. I have no idea about current DVDs.

You have to watch all the options as they go by and pick the correct one.
It's documented somewhere, but I don't have a link. Google for "Windows
Repair Installation". Note that you have to type an R to get there, but, in
order to create confusion, there are two unrelated places where R is a
choice, and they are *not* the same. I know because I've chosen the wrong
one :-)