How can I speed up my computer

Old January 13th 12, 08:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Chris S.[_4_]

Default How can I speed up my computer

"Zaphod Beeblebrox" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

With close to 20 years on Usenet,

Noob! ;-)

ARPANET here.... 1976.

Chris

Old January 13th 12, 08:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

From: "Chris S."

| "Zaphod Beeblebrox" wrote in
message
In article ,
says...

With close to 20 years on Usenet,

Noob! ;-)

| ARPANET here.... 1976.
|
| Chris

:-)

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old January 14th 12, 04:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
rb[_4_]

The_KiKi posted:
Uhm, No. I posted directly after you said you did not qualify to

answer
this question, but that does not mean I was asking you. When

replying
to a thread without quoting someone it is implied that the question

is
directed at the Opening Poster, not the person who posted

immediately
beforehand.

Gene posted:
| That's a pretty silly rule, IMO, and one that I have never heard of
| (and would never try to follow). In effect, you are saying that a
| direct reply to one post is actually a reply to another post if
there's
| no indication of which post the reply belongs to other than the
| *obvious* one of its position in the thread.
|
| Some remarks about quoting that I've seen on a couple of newsgroups
| recently have said that it's courteous to quote enough of the
preceding
| post to make it clear to any person reading the response what it
refers
| to, and to trim not everything, but only stuff that's *irrelevant* to
| the reply.
|
| If you post without quoting, there's *always* a chance of
| misinterpretation of what you are referring to, and when the OP is 78
| days old, it might not even be available to everyone...
|
| Just sayin'.

Dave posted:
With close to 20 years on Usenet, I have never heard of that either

and
one is expected to at least quote relevant sections

===============

Good grief...yes quotes are helpful, but that thread was about as simple
as they get. A little common sense please....

Scenario:
The OP is asking for help. I and a few others, post replies with helpful
info. Another post is made immediately after mine, in which the poster
is requesting info about DSL and Vista. I do not have DSL or Vista nor
did I ask for help, but I'll ignore the fact that the OP mentioned
having DSL and Vista, and assume the poster is asking me for the info
because the post follows mine and does not quote text. I'll also add a
bit of attitude to my post because I am concerned about being courteous
to other users of the newsgroup. Then even after the poster tells me his
post was for the OP, I'll insist his post was for me, rather than saying
'oops my mistake', and then simply moving on to another thread where I
could help someone.

Old January 15th 12, 12:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch[_5_]

On 1/13/2012, rb posted:
[...]

It's pretty easy to ignore information that was not quoted, and came
from a post that was about 2-1/2 months old, which, if you can believe
it, is long enough for me to forget what was in it. Also, there was
(obviously) nothing in the reply to indicate which of the other posts
in the thread it referred to. Or even if it happened to be in the right
thread, come to think of it.

If the reply poster can't be more helpful (and, for that matter, just
plain *courteous*) than that, I'm not going to do his work for him by
looking in the thread for what he might be talking about.

I have to say that I'm disappointed in you, rb. ISTM that the least you
could do, if you're going to be indulging in ad hominem attacks, is to
be cogent and interesting :-)

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

Old January 16th 12, 02:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
rb[_5_]

Gene E. Bloch said:
It's pretty easy to ignore information that was not quoted, and came
from a post that was about 2-1/2 months old, which, if you can believe
it, is long enough for me to forget what was in it. Also, there was
(obviously) nothing in the reply to indicate which of the other posts
in the thread it referred to. Or even if it happened to be in the right

thread, come to think of it.

If the reply poster can't be more helpful (and, for that matter, just
plain *courteous*) than that, I'm not going to do his work for him by
looking in the thread for what he might be talking about.

I have to say that I'm disappointed in you, rb. ISTM that the least you

could do, if you're going to be indulging in ad hominem attacks, is to
be cogent and interesting :-)
==================

Gene,
My comments were a stupid attempt at sarcasm...nothing more...sorry, I
just think your reply to that poster makes no sense. It makes even less
sense now, knowing you forgot what the original post was about, were not
sure if the reply post was in the right thread, and did not want to
bother to read 8 posts in that thread to refresh your memory.

Old January 16th 12, 06:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch[_5_]

On 1/15/2012, rb posted:
Gene E. Bloch said:
[...]

confused:

OK, sarcasm I can accept :-)

But why my reply confuses you is beyond my ken.

1. I read enough Usenet so that there's *no way* that, in January, I
can remember every thread back to October. This strikes me as more than
obvious...

2. It would hardly be the first time a reply appeared in a thread
unrelated to the reply. For instance, just a couple of days ago I
helped someone (I *think* I helped him!) who thought he lost a post; he
had accidentally replied to an unrelated thread, but in that case the
time span was short enough for me to remember it.

BTW, there are people who answer posts older than my server's retention
time - the OP is not here. This wasn't one of those, but still.

3. And all in all, what I meant was more like this:
If the poster doesn't care enough to quote the matter he is referring
to, and to reply under the post he is referring to, I don't care enough
to search through the thread even if the thread is only eight posts
long. This is only partly because there's no guarantee that the post in
question is there...

Yes, it's hard-hearted, but I read enough posts[1] not to want to deal
with such a posting "style".

Although it looks to me like we will continue to disagree, I
respectfully request that you think about these issues with this
concept in mind: why not devote a moment's thought & effort to make it
easy for my readers to read my reply?

[1] There are those who would translate that as "I waste enough time
already" :-)

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

Old January 17th 12, 05:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
rb[_6_]

Gene wrote:
But why my reply confuses you is beyond my ken.

3. And all in all, what I meant was more like this:
If the poster doesn't care enough to quote the matter he is referring
to, and to reply under the post he is referring to, I don't care enough

to search through the thread even if the thread is only eight posts
long. This is only partly because there's no guarantee that the post in

question is there...

Yes, it's hard-hearted, but I read enough posts[1] not to want to deal
with such a posting "style".

[1] There are those who would translate that as "I waste enough time

already" :-)

Although it looks to me like we will continue to disagree, I
respectfully request that you think about these issues with this
concept in mind: why not devote a moment's thought & effort to make it

easy for my readers to read my reply?

=================

Gene,
I realize this discussion is getting long in the tooth, but I do
understand
and agree with your points, and agree that thought and effort should go

into every post to make reading, and assisting in threads as easy as
possible for all posters. That is what I strive to do, but we all need
use a bit of common sense too.
Where we disagree(or maybe you missed what my point was), is about the
'attitude' you displayed(which I took for machismo) in your reply.
It's one thing for you to think the reply might have been for you at
first (because of
lack of quoted text), but to insist you know what the posters intentions
are
even after the poster said he did not ask you for info is, in my
opinion, ridiculous.
It was at that point, and for that reason, why I posted a comment.
I readily admit I made a mistake starting this discussion.

The_KiKi said:
If I had asked YOU, I didn't, I asked the person with
the problem who already listed some of their processes, has DSL and
Vista.

Gene said:
Actually, you *did* ask me.

rb said:
"That poster was clearly NOT asking you for info. You even said it

"makes
no sense". Rather than making yourself look even more foolish and

cluttering
up the newsgroup with 'jugar al quien es mas macho' posts, how about

just
admitting you made a mistake. Good grief"

Old January 18th 12, 10:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch[_5_]

On 1/17/2012, rb posted:
but to insist you know what the posters intentions
are
even after the poster said he did not ask you for info is, in my
opinion, ridiculous.

Actually, I didn't refer to the other posters intentions, I just said
that he answered my post. But how I said it was

"Actually, you *did* ask me".

which is ambiguous wording, I have to say :-)

Anyway, at least we agree on some part of this, and I am willing to
stop defending myself any further...

....even though I *am* right (OK, now I'm joking).

BTW, I'm not what I'd call macho, but as for sarcasm, well, that's
another issue...

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

Old March 4th 12, 05:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Bob F[_3_]

Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 14:27:14 -0700, "Me" meatacmewidgetsdotcom
wrote:

How much RAM ?

I don't know. I know that's random access memory but I don't know
where do I find it.

There are many ways to find out. Here's an easy one: hold down the
Windows key and press Pause|Break.

Wow! That's a nice tip.