HELP! No internet when copying files from ethernet drive

Old October 9th 09, 04:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
ABH83[_5_]

Default HELP! No internet when copying files from ethernet drive

Tae Song;4645478 Wrote:
That's very strange. Traffic between LaCie and your computer shouldn't
be
reaching the cable-modem at all.

Can you list which IP addresses are being assigned to which device?

Linksys
Computer
LaCie
Ariss

You should be able to get all the info from the Linksys.

Login to the Linksys and click on the Status tab. This will give IP
configuration coming from the Ariss to Linksys.

Under Status, you should see Router | Local Network | Wireless

Click on Local Network and click on the DHCP Clients Table button for
the
other devices... assuming the menu is similar to the Linksys WRT54G I
am
using.

smlunatick;4645479 Wrote:

Please check the router's settings. Normally, it is possible to set
the wireless "connections" to be "separate" from the other
connections. On standard firmwares, this cam be known as "Wlan
Protection."

Hi!

Sorry but there's something that just occured to me which I forgot to
mention before. I doubt it matters though?

I have a Desktop PC (Dell Dim 4400) attached via Ethernet to the
router.

It Uses an old 3com EtherLink card.

My router is set to clone the MAC addrees of that PC. (Due to an old
regulation of my ISP: allowing only one computer to be attached to the
modem).

The 2 other Laptops connect wirelessly.

Linksys: 192.168.1.1 static
Dell Desktop PC: 192.168.1.2 static
MY Laptop: 192.168.1.6 static
MetworkSpace: 192.168.1.13 static

WAN IP (Arris?): 80.108.170.23

Some additional info:

Under Status | Wireless:

TX Power is 50mW

and under Wireless Packet Info:

Transmitted (TX): a big number around 56..... OK, 334 errors.

Is that normal?

THX

--
ABH83
ABH83's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/142317.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old October 9th 09, 09:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Bill Kearney

Sorry but there's something that just occured to me which I forgot to
mention before. I doubt it matters though?

My router is set to clone the MAC addrees of that PC. (Due to an old
regulation of my ISP: allowing only one computer to be attached to the
modem).

If the router configuration is done properly it should not matter.

You *may* want to considering totally resetting the configuration on the
router. It's possible you've got something setup incorrectly. It might be
best to reset the router to factory defaults and then start over from there.

Also, be *certain* that you've got everything wired into the correct ports.
And only once per device into the same network.

From each machine do an "arp -a" in the cmd prompt.

You should see that the IP to MAC addresses are consistent across each of
them. The arp tables won't be the same on all of the computer. Each
machine will only know about others that it connects with. You can cause a
machine to load an arp entry by using the ping command. So to get the
laptop on .6 to load an arp entry you'd just ping one of the other IP
addresses.

Post the 'arp -a' results here.

-Bill Kearney

Old October 10th 09, 06:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Tae Song

smlunatick;4645479 Wrote:

Please check the router's settings. Normally, it is possible to set
the wireless "connections" to be "separate" from the other
connections. On standard firmwares, this cam be known as "Wlan
Protection."

Hi!

Sorry but there's something that just occured to me which I forgot to
mention before. I doubt it matters though?

I have a Desktop PC (Dell Dim 4400) attached via Ethernet to the
router.

It Uses an old 3com EtherLink card.

My router is set to clone the MAC addrees of that PC. (Due to an old
regulation of my ISP: allowing only one computer to be attached to the
modem).

You shouldn't be using cloned MAC address if you don't have to.

Take it off, in fact you might want to try resetting the router to factory
defaults.

Some setting on the router is causing traffic to reach the cable-modem.

Did you setup the router manually?

With the WRT54G I have, the local area network would be on 192.168.1.x
subnet and if I had a cable-modem it might be on a separate subnet like
192.168.0.x. The traffic on subnet 192.168.1.x shouldn't show up on
192.168.0.x which is subnet the cable-modem would be on, since the laptop is
on 192.168.1.6 going to 192.168.1.13 the traffic should only exist on the
192.168.1.x subnet.

There might be two IP addresses assigned to the cable-modem and Linksys.

Cable - modem Linksys
ISP --- 80.108.170.23 | 192.168.0.1 --- 192.168.0.2 | 192.168.1.1 --- Home
LAN

The 2 other Laptops connect wirelessly.

Linksys: 192.168.1.1 static
Dell Desktop PC: 192.168.1.2 static
MY Laptop: 192.168.1.6 static
MetworkSpace: 192.168.1.13 static

WAN IP (Arris?): 80.108.170.23

Some additional info:

Under Status | Wireless:

TX Power is 50mW

and under Wireless Packet Info:

Transmitted (TX): a big number around 56..... OK, 334 errors.

Is that normal?

THX

Doesn't sound normal, unless you are using one of the wireless on the fringe
of the router's signal range.

Are you using any wireless security, WEP or WAP?

Maybe someone or something is connecting from the edge of the Linksys'
range.

Old October 11th 09, 10:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
ABH83[_6_]

I'd like to thank you all for your time! I appreciate all the help!

I had a friend come over today with his laptop running windows xp pro
sp2. I gave him access to my network and he was able to copy files from
the Ethernet drive to his laptop over wifi without affecting the modem
and the interent!

So, it Seems like vista is the issue here!

My friend was able to ping www.google.com without any packets being
lost while I had timeouts on all 3 attempts.

Last night I even restored the router to factory defaults and
reconfigured it manually. Yet still, every time I try to copy files with
my two vista laptops the internet drops. My friend had no issue with his
xp machine though.

The funny thing is, it's also happening with Ubuntu (dual booting with
vista on my laptop)!

Old October 12th 09, 10:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Tae Song

"ABH83" wrote in message

[...]

One of my post seems to have disappeared...

What are the manual changes are you doing to the router?

You shouldn't be using cloned MAC address if you don't need to.

Old October 12th 09, 06:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
ABH83[_7_]

Solved (in vista): ' Repair and Reset Windows Vista TCP/IP Winsock
Catalog Corruption'
(http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...og-corruption/)

Old October 19th 09, 08:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
ABH83[_8_]

Sorry for not reply much sooner but I've been very busy.

Unfortunately, the "solution" I posted earlier did not last too long.
I'm back with the very same problem.

I think my only option is to ditch vista and downgrade back to XP. My
only concern is how much longer will xp be supported now that Win 7 is
out?

(For what its worth, I'm no longer using a cloned MAC address).

thx