Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

System Restore Not working on Ultimate Edition

Old February 26th 07, 06:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Maf-Kees

Default System Restore Not working on Ultimate Edition

Found my problem he
A device called:
Direct Access Device USB Device USB
disabled a working (a)sr.

Digitus DA-70148 USB2.0 to IDE and SATA. Support 1,8"/2,5"/3,5" IDE and
Serial ATA Harddisks

Still interrested in asr.log?

Tnx!

MK

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" schreef in bericht
Though the error message is the same, we think you're seeing a different
issue. Can you do the following steps and email me the log file?

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Asr,
create a new key called LogFileSetting

Under LogFileSetting, create a new DWORD value called EnableLogging.
Right-click that value, click Modify, and then enter 00000001
(hexadecimal) or 1 (decimal)

Under LogFileSetting, create a new String value called LogPathName.
Right-click that value, click Modify, and then enter C:\asr.log

Now, reproduce the problem and send me the resulting asr.log file. When
you are done, delete the registry entry you created.

Also, can you send me a screenshot of your Disk Management screen? Please
use my email address minus "online."

Thank you!

rights.

"Maf-Kees" wrote in message
Bios is up2date:
Version ASUS A8N-SLI Premium ACPI BIOS Revision 1303

Volume Shadow Copy-service: ASR writer Error 0x80070015. hr =
0x00000000.
Context:
Uitvoeringscontext: ASR Writer
Klasse-id van schrijver: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
Naam van schrijver: ASR Writer
Instantie-id van schrijver: {1e1c0541-715d-4271-baed-24c3cac50b5d}

Yesterday, my user profile was damaged, but it has restored itself with
reboting, thank God!
Scary moment :-/ ASR would give some more comfort?

Tnx,

Mk
I'll try boot with dvd's inside the drives, but...

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" schreef in bericht
We know what the issue is now. There are a couple of buggy BIOSes which
change the disk enumeration order based on the presence of a bootable
DVD.
As one customer reported, when he boots with DVD in drive it works, but
when the DVD is not in the drive, System Restore doesn't work.

Is your BIOS up-to-date?

"paunchy1975" wrote in message
I am having the same exact problem with Ultimate as well.

Quote: "I am having the same exact problem with Ultimate as well"

(proces = C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe; beschrijving = Vista
Manager v1.0.7 System-Restore Point(First Start); Hr = 0x81000109).

Old March 13th 07, 02:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Just to close out this thread, a customer contacted me about 0x81000109
errors when trying to use the Backup program. Turns out he had a
disconnected SCSI drive that was showing up as "Offline" in Disk Management.
Disabling the driver for this drive fixed the problem.

Old April 11th 07, 04:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
jackiewu85

Hi there, I have the same problem here. vista ultimate, cant backup
drive.

But when i was trying to follow the steps, i couldnt find 'Asr' under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\

any1 knows why?

Thx

--
jackiewu85
jackiewu85's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=24531

http://forums.techarena.in

Old April 11th 07, 05:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Can you confirm what you mean by "can't backup drive"? What is the specific
error you're seeing? What tool are you using?

Old April 12th 07, 05:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
jackiewu85

i got exactly the same problem and error msg as the other guys.
My Vista ultimate system restore is not working properly. the error msg
i got was
"Windows cannot create a shadow copy due to internal error in other
system
components. for more information view the event log. (0x81000109)"

" Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: ASR writer Error 0x80073bc3. hr
=
0x00000000.
Old April 13th 07, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

I went through the past customers I've helped with this particular error
message and code. One customer in particular stands out--he had a buggy BIOS
version, Phoenix AwardBios v6.00PG. Can you check whether your BIOS is an
Award BIOS? For this customer, System Restore worked only when he booted
with a Vista DVD inserted.

The workaround in this case was to explicitly set the BIOS boot disk
priority. In this customer's case, the second harddisk needed to become the
first in the list. This will cause the disks to get enumerated in the same
order, regardless of whether there is a DVD present.

Another customer had a 0x81000109 error but I'm not sure if the error text
was the same message (he had to translate the error from Polish). He had an
external SCSI driver installed but the drive wasn't present. Removing the
driver fixed the problem.

Let me know if either of these applies to your situation.

"jackiewu85" wrote in message

i got exactly the same problem and error msg as the other guys.
My Vista ultimate system restore is not working properly. the error msg
i got was
"Windows cannot create a shadow copy due to internal error in other
system
components. for more information view the event log. (0x81000109)"

" Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: ASR writer Error 0x80073bc3. hr
=
0x00000000.
Operation:
OnIdentify event
Gathering Writer Data

Context:
Execution Context: ASR Writer
Writer Class ID: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
Writer Name: ASR Writer
Writer Instance ID: ID: {2bc7a8cd-90af-4faa-910e-f2b41542fabf}"

Thanks man

'Jill Zoeller [MSFT Wrote:
;2742764']Can you confirm what you mean by "can't backup drive"? What is
the specific
error you're seeing? What tool are you using?

rights.

Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit
our

Old April 14th 07, 05:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
jackiewu85

Im using a ASUS A8N SLi Premium mobo with the lastest BIOS. i dnt think
this bios is pheonix awarded.
and i dnt have any external SCSI device. but I do have a RAID 0 setup
with the on board silicone raid chip.

Old April 14th 07, 07:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
jackiewu85

haha
problem just got solved.
i just updated my silicon 3114 driver, and install the utility, changed
some settings. I made a RAID 0 set of entire 2 hard drives, but seems
that the remaining bits (just several kb) formed another RAID 0 set. i
dunno was it me or the software itself ( dnt think it was me ). after
deleting the redundant RAID 0 set, everything works fine now. Thanks for
the help guys

Old November 29th 07, 09:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
fornetti4

I have very upsetting experience with System Protection.
Only after several enable-disable and reboots create restore point
started working... dont't know what helped. But restore behaves on my
system like it was early dev version. First it was logging me out and
then hanging indefinitely (i left it overnight), then after reboot it
said it did not succeed ("unspecified error", no log data in asr.log),
then after dont-know-what-actually-helped it started to get to the
point where it rebooted my system, and after that it displayed the same
error message. But that only in normal mode, in safe mode it is still
hanging up... Previous file versions tab is also working like it was
coded by my sister...
May I add that I have my Vista running on SATA disk (or a mirrored set,
no difference) connected thru a SiL 3512 PCI controller. I boot from
SATA or other ATA disk, no difference.
And now for the most funny/scary part: after first reboot i see that
something was restored to the restore point, something not. Like new
dirs get deleted as expected, but some old are not restored, and the
registry is not restored. This builds up my confidence about Vista. And
then during next reboot disk checking initiates and finds some scary
errors. This basicly restores the system to the state before trying the
"system restore to point".

This makes me sad, because I bought Vista Business not Home, because of
"previous file versions" and enhanced firewall (which is also not up to
what i expected).

--
fornetti4
fornetti4's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=36219