Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

System Restore Not working on Ultimate Edition

Old November 30th 07, 03:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
GTS

Default System Restore Not working on Ultimate Edition

I suggest as the first step to analyze this that you turn off system
restore to clear existing SRP data and then reeenable it. Corruption in the
SR repository is on possible explanation.
It would help of your information was more specific. Why were your trying
to restore? Are there other problems or were you just testing? And what
on earth do you mean by "Previous file versions tab is also working like it
was
coded by my sister...?"
--
"fornetti4" wrote in message

I have very upsetting experience with System Protection.
Only after several enable-disable and reboots create restore point
started working... dont't know what helped. But restore behaves on my
system like it was early dev version. First it was logging me out and
then hanging indefinitely (i left it overnight), then after reboot it
said it did not succeed ("unspecified error", no log data in asr.log),
then after dont-know-what-actually-helped it started to get to the
point where it rebooted my system, and after that it displayed the same
error message. But that only in normal mode, in safe mode it is still
hanging up... Previous file versions tab is also working like it was
coded by my sister...
May I add that I have my Vista running on SATA disk (or a mirrored set,
no difference) connected thru a SiL 3512 PCI controller. I boot from
SATA or other ATA disk, no difference.
And now for the most funny/scary part: after first reboot i see that
something was restored to the restore point, something not. Like new
dirs get deleted as expected, but some old are not restored, and the
registry is not restored. This builds up my confidence about Vista. And
then during next reboot disk checking initiates and finds some scary
errors. This basicly restores the system to the state before trying the
"system restore to point".

This makes me sad, because I bought Vista Business not Home, because of
"previous file versions" and enhanced firewall (which is also not up to
what i expected).

--
fornetti4
fornetti4's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=36219

http://forums.techarena.in

Old December 3rd 07, 09:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
fuentesse99

Hi, thats me fornetti4 using other account.
Of course I did turn system restore on and off, that's the first rule
dealing with computers, get out and in again :-). I even deleted the
SVI dir once.
Why trying? To test. Actually the checkpoint was fresh, with only
minimal amount of deliberate changes to files, dirs and registry to
evaluate outcome.
I'm sure this is a bug, it might be that this is a bug within the sil
3512 driver (i use ver 1.0.60.0, it is WHCL).
For now I gave up, even though it would help to do a clean install on
my hardware to recheck. I'll resort to breaking my mirrored set before
operations that i fear migh bring up need to use system restore.
I just hope you guys in MS will fix it in SP1. I think that the system
restore should not depend on BIOS or SATA driver in the case where the
disk IO works fine (barring lame BIOS boot settings :-). Please also
test the previous file versions tabs, that it does not hang. Request
more testers, because programmers do net test their code well.

--
fuentesse99
fuentesse99's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=36050

Old January 7th 08, 08:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Snapafun[_2_]

I too am suffering from this problem ( ASR writer Error 0x80073bc3 ) and
cannot determine my next step from here. I have tripped over the event
viewer so see exactly the same as is reported here. When first installed
( clean on a Asus A6KM ) SR worked fine and to some extent I was
greatful for it as it allowed me to clean up things from a bad firewall
app install.

Now, however, cannot get any of the backup options to work so seek
further guidance where I can.

Anyone with any further suggestions ?

Am able to access the event logs if required.

--
Snapafun
Old October 6th 08, 06:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
wipcguy

This is an older thread but I read through the whole thing and didn't
see any similar info so I thought I'd add to the fray:

When trying to create a system restore point, I bombed with the same
error message. Following what Ms. Zoeller was indicating, I checked my
disk mgmt and found my externally attached USB disk was there, but not
recognized with a drive letter assigned. I unplugged the drive, and
tried to create a restore point again, and it worked.

My only concern here is does this mean I'm always going to have to
unplug my USB external drive(s) when I want to run system restore?
(-too there's the automatic restore points).

Jay

--
wipcguy
wipcguy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/wipcguy.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old March 5th 10, 11:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
pgn674[_4_]

I too was getting error 0x80073bc3 from ASR Writer in SPP and VSS's logs
in Event Viewer when I was trying to do a backup, for me on Windows 7. I
ended up having to change my BIOS's HDD boot order, so that my Windows
disk is first, and the disk I'm backing up to is second. It used to be
that a third disk, with an EXT3 volume on it, was first in the BIOS's
boot order. I also had to fix GRUB afterwards. I have the most recent
BIOS for my motherboard. I've also uninstalled an installable EXT3 file
system driver I had, but I don't know if that did anything.

--
pgn674
pgn674's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/73954.htm