HP LightScribe writer not working in Vista Home Premium

Old February 10th 07, 10:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kevin Potts

Default HP LightScribe writer not working in Vista Home Premium

I have an HP a1440n Media Center PC, just upgraded to Vista Home Premium,
the LightScribe writer that came with the computer can no longer burn disks,
on cd's or dvd's. In device manager it's listed as HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H21L
ATA Device. I have been checking the HP software website for updated
drivers but nothing so far. Is this my only option, wait for an updated
driver, or is there anything I can do to get this working? Thanks in
advance for any help.

Old February 11th 07, 12:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
skasap

I had the same problem. MS was no help. Doing a Google search I found out in
vista for optical drives you need to change the jumpers to either Master or
Slave. Cable select does not work. I found this out after making 10 coasters.

Old February 11th 07, 02:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Robin Olitsky

I had the same issue, I just recently purchased a new DVD writer and it
came with Nero 6.6 you need to upgrade to version 7.0 , I was able to
upgrade for $55 I had to upgrade thru my laptop then burn a copy and install
it on my Vista desktop.

Old February 11th 07, 03:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kevin Potts

Did you set it to master or slave? I tried switching it to master, and now
it won't even recognize that a blank disk is in the drive, it says the drive
is empty. Should it be set to slave?
Thanks

Old March 1st 07, 05:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

Hello I just purchased a HP PAVILLION a1723w and it has VISTA and lightscribe
cd/dvdrrw installed already and I installed my lite-on cd/dvdrrw drive and it
was working fine and then all of a sudden I turned computer on and was going
to burn a disc and now neither drive is working and in device manager it says
"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be
corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" and I have done all I know to do to fix the
problem. I have one set as master and other as slave already. So if anyone
can help me with this I appreciate it. I will have this computer for one week
March 01,2007. And it is already giving me problems!!!!!!!!!
THANKS, SHANNON

Old March 1st 07, 10:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

If your computer is that new and malfunctioning TAKE IT BACK.

Would you keep a week-old car that is not running right? No, you would not;
so why do the same with the computer?

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old March 1st 07, 10:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Try the procedures on this website..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553

Procedure one worked for me..

http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Old March 3rd 07, 05:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gene Hora

I had the same problem (error 39) - DVD writer working fine yesterday at
shutdown, this morning error and driver not loading. Used HP's chat line and
the procedure the tech gave me was essentially the same you reference in the
kb/320553 article. After restart, the DVD writer was working again.

Old April 7th 07, 11:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kishor M Jadhav

"Kishor M Jadhav" wrote:

I have an HP m7660in Media Center PC Vista Home Premium,
the LightScribe writer that came with the computer can no longer burn disks,
on cd's or dvd's. In device manager it's listed as HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H30L