DVD/CD Drive Not Working

Old February 22nd 07, 12:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mufaddal Adamjee

Default DVD/CD Drive Not Working

The same thing happend to me todays as well... This morning my D: drive
disappeared. Went to Device Manager and there was a
yellow exclamation mark. The message was "Windows cannot initialize the
device driver [code 37]." Followed troubleshooting advice:
uninstalled/reinstalled. The problem still exists. Went to MS for a KB and
was told that MS was aware of the problem but there was no KB at present. Any
suggestions? Thanks.

Mr M Adamjee

Old February 22nd 07, 08:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AussieHolden

I have the same issue they were working for a few days after installing Vista
but now they don't work I am confronted with the little yellow signs in
device manager and the reason given is

(Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be
corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and
to see if there is a solution available.)

I have tried everything and nothing has fixed the issue I beleave it has
something to do with an update from microsft in the past few days that have
interferied with my DVD & CD rom burners. These drives are less then a year
old and still being sold.

I have called IT Support at Microsoft Vista only to be put on hold twice and
hung up on after an hour each time.
Old February 22nd 07, 12:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Lee Beck

Same problem here. DVD Burner No Longer Works

I installed a LG GSA-4163 DVD burner while in XP and it worked fine also
after migrating to Vista a couple of weeks ago. I also installed MS OneCare
and did a backup last night (to an external drive – not to CD/DVD.) After
the backup and removal of the external drive I noticed that the DVD player
wasn’t showing in Windows Explorer. The backup and external drive
information may be coincidental – I only mention them since that’s when I
first noticed the problem, which may have occurred prior to the backup.

I went to Device Manager and there is the big yellow exclamation point by
the burner. I clicked on the driver and asked to search for a new driver and
Vista returns a message that the most up-to-date driver is already installed.
Trying to troubleshoot further I click on “search the web for answers” while
still in the Device Manager/Properties tab and nothing happens when I click
(I’m not redirected to a website - even though I’m online).

All the stuff above may be extraneous to the problem, but now I’d like some
advice on how to proceed. I’m inclined to remove the device using Device
Manager and then try reinstalling it. This is venturing outside my comfort
zone but I’m willing to do it if advised. I just don’t want to make the
problem worse. If needed, I’ll also crack open the box and physically
disconnect the wires from the hardware.

Is there a good website that provides details on troubleshooting a
non-functioning DVD burner? It could be a hardware problem but the device on
light does light up when a disk is inserted.

Thanks for the help.

Old February 22nd 07, 12:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mufaddal Adamjee

Hi,
My Name is Adam, I had the same problem but I finally resoloved it. contact
me on msn and i will email you some stemps to follow hope it should resolve
your problem as well. my msn id is:
Kind Regards
Adam

Old February 22nd 07, 12:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AussieHolden

Adam don't keep it to yourself explain how you fixed this issue to all users
here in this forum.

It would seem it's happening to alot of Vista users now there CD & DVD
drives have stopped working on them and it's to do with Microsoft and they
need to fix this bug in a update asap and not ignore the issue.

Old February 22nd 07, 05:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Lee Beck

I agree - I sent the requested email but haven't received a reply. Best way
to respond is here for everyone to see.

Thanks

Old February 22nd 07, 07:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Leo

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553
This solution fixed the same problem for me you are having.
--
Leo

When I was young and adventurous, I wanted to join a violent,
armed group with no regard for the law, but the IRS wasn't hiring.

"Mufaddal Adamjee" Mufaddal wrote in
message ...