Vista Movie Maker and my Digital Video Camera

Old June 7th 07, 10:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
richard

Default Vista Movie Maker and my Digital Video Camera

This seems to be a common problem in here and so far I have not seen any
response. I wonder if any Microsfot people look in here if so do you have an
answer.

"RatDoc" wrote in message
I have the same problem using a JVC GR-D30U mini-dv camera. I can control
the camera within Moviemaker and the program will go through the motions
of
captruing the video but at the end of the capture the captured file is
empty.
I am running Vista Ultimate. Haven't found a solution yet and I had no
such
problem when I was using XP professional.

"Chris M" wrote:

I also have the same issue only with an IEEE connection. I've gone so far
as
to try 3 different video capture programs (including Adobe Premier) and
none
of them will capture from my Sony DV. What is interesting is that I can
control the device (play/FF/rewind) but cannot import the video. In Movie
Maker I can semi-capture in the spacehog AVI format, but it then is an
unreadable file in any software (I learned this after a 1 hour capture).
The
other offered formats rewind the tape and then I get an error called
"N/A"
which I had not seen before. The device shows in control panel under
system
devices, but not in Explorer. I've replaced the 4-pin to 4-pin cable
thinking
that was the issue. I am now at wit's end.... I hope a solution comes out
which is why I am adding to this thread. Wish I could have offered the
answer.

"Dana Cline - MVP" wrote:

As far as I know, MovieMaker doesn't work with USB cameras, only IEEE
1394
(FireWire) or composite video.

Dana Cline - MCE MVP

"Howard" wrote in message
I plugged in my Sony Digital Video Camera through the USB port and
Movie
Maker refuses to acknokledge the hook up is there.

I followed the suggestions listed in the Help section, turning my
camera
on
and making sure it is in play mode etc.

Can anyone help?

Old July 7th 07, 07:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zeroneff

Im sorry but it seems that windows Movie maker or Midea player wont work with
any Mpeg video Format...
and im not using USB ports... I use fire wire to upload from my HVR-A1U(and
yes it's in dv mode).. Same thing happens with Uploading it shuts down... I
have all the right drivers and everything

"

Old July 16th 07, 01:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zeroneff

Make sure that you're drivers are install... If not go to the sony soppert
site to get one. If that dose not work then go and buy you're self some new
software. Vista is a good one with high quality

Old July 20th 07, 05:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
technochrista

Howard,

I don't have a solution to your problem. I too have a sony camera that hooks
to a USB port. Although the Windows XP version of Movie Maker used to detect
the camera, the newer Vista version does not. Sadly, my web camera which I
also used frequently to capture video using Movie Maker also does not work. I
am hopeful that Microsoft will realize this problem and will release a patch.
I have my fingers crossed.

Old July 22nd 07, 08:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Andrew

hi,
i also have a sony DCR-P6E camrecorder and like you i also cannot get
my laptop to register that a dv cam is connected either by USB or S-video
although this did work on XP. i have checked the sony web site for vista
compatable drivers but none are avaible have sent them an e-mail with this
problem but have not heard back from them yet.

any ideas are welcome

Old July 23rd 07, 05:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Graham Hughes

Movie Maker in XP and Vista is not really designed to work with USB or
analogue sources, so you were lucky to have it working in XP and it's not
really going to happen in Vista. Can't you use the app which came with you
cam to capture?

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

Old July 31st 07, 03:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
solartaco

Have JVC GR-D93, PCI Firewire card. Worked fine with XP. Blank preview
windows in Vista. Can control camera, just not capture. Nice job Microsoft.

Old July 31st 07, 01:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Dave

It's up to JVC to make their products work with Vista. Have you checked to
see if they have Vista compatible drivers and software?

Old August 8th 07, 04:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Jeffray L[_2_]

Dear friend!

I understand your problem and I think I can help.

Well sometimes it can be really hard even impossible to collect videos
straight from your camera. I mean especially when you don't have one of the
latest computer with a C.P.U over 3 Ghz or when you do not have enough ram
but don't worry I got a solution for you.

FIRST : Collect your video camera using your USB wire ( you should be able
to see an icon on your control panel. )

SECOND : Go to the Video folder and now created a new file wich you can give
the tittle of your choice "Exp My 2 Weeks Vacation in Europe
!!! 2007"
When it's done just minimize your page.

THIRD : Go back to the control panel and click on the icon of you camera.
"You should see all the available videos.
Just copy than go back to the file you just created and past.
I sure hope you got a big hard disk. . .maybe more than one or at least more
than one partition.
So I suggest you "if that is possible to you" not to put this file on the
partition C. This operation may takes a few minutes to complete but you will
find this much more easier to do whatever you want with your videos using
Windows Movie Maker.

I sure hope you got enough ram on your computer because both Windows Vista
and Movie Maker needs a lot of ram. . .I mean sometimes 1 GB is not enough. .
..hard to believe but I've made a test and now I got 2 GB and I never had so
much fun working with Movie Maker. I mean I can make a video in half the time
even with a lot of special effects and stuff.

I hope this can be helpful to you.

Friendly Jeffray L

P.S: Sorry for my english!!!