Is Windows Vista index-based full-text search powerful enough?

Old March 8th 07, 11:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Guest

Default Is Windows Vista index-based full-text search powerful enough?

While you are on a roll would you like to find a correct query language
reference and post that.

If we are to believe the desktop search syntax (my point being is that it
lies) it is not possible to search for contents (2.6 or 3). Yet Index Server
does have a Content= field (which if I recall correctly has servere
limitations), Yet Indexing Server docs have disappeared from the Vista PSDK.

"Dave Wood [MS]" wrote in message
Oh, and while I'm on a roll:

The latest query syntax doc is he

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/des...advanced3.mspx

The one someone else posted was for Windwso Search 2.6, which will be very
similar but not absolutely identical.

Also you discussed index size relative to documents size. There's no way
to estimate this exactly, because different files contribute different
amounts to the index size {e.g. pictures less, text docs more}. But we
typically see a range from less than 5% up to maybe 15%.

Dave

"Dave Wood [MS]" wrote in message
- We put a lot of effort into 'backing-off' the indexing so it doesn't
interfere with the user's normal use of the machine. So in general this
shouldn't be an issue.

- You can move the location of the index files to a different location
using the Indexing Options Control Panel.

Dave

"Peter Frank" wrote in message
"Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:

To answer you questions briefly:

- The Windows Search indexer should be able to handle these kinds of
scenarios. If you decide you don't want it to run you need to disable
the
Windows Search service.

- You can control what locations are indexed through the Indexing
Control Panel, or programatically. We don't currently support multiple

OK, that's at least something because there are many locations on my
harddisk which I wouldn't want to be indexed. If it actually indexed
everything from the first to the last partition, it would be very
inefficient.

I think there's some control of when indexing happens
programatically, it depends exactly what scenario you are trying to
achieve.

My concern is that re-indexing would slow down my computer
considerably, so I would want Windows to perform indexing only when
the computer is idle. I understand that this could mean that I may
have an obsolete index for some time.

- Yes we support a pretty rich query syntax, an overview of which is
he
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...02ec61033.mspx

Very good.

I hope this helps,

Yes, it does. Thanks.

Regarding the question about whether I can set where to place the
index files: I conclude that it cannot be done, i.e. the index files
are mandatorily placed on partition C: where Windows Vista is
installed. Is that correct?

Actually, I would prefer to have the index files placed on a different
partition but I suppose this can't be done.

Are there any estimates on how much harddisk space I should reserve
for x GB of documents to be indexed (like 10 % for example, which
would mean I need 1 GB of extra space for every 10 GB of document
data)?
I understand that this depends on the type of data but as I mentioned
before the data locations that I would like to be indexed consist
almost exclusively of PDF documents, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
files.

Peter

"Peter Frank" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about the new index-based full-text
search of Windows Vista.

1) Is it powerful enough to handle huge amounts of data consisting of
PDF documents, Word, Excel and Powerpoint files (around 20 GB)? Or
would a third-party solution like dtSearch be the better choice? If
this is the better choice, can the indexing by Windows Vista be
disabled?

2) Is there any way I can manage or control the indexing process?
a) Can I set the location of the index files?
b) Can I create multiple indexes?
c) Can I control in any way when the indexing takes place?

3) Can I perform advanced searches using Boolean operators?

Peter

Old March 9th 07, 06:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave Wood [MS]

Well just typing text into the seach field searches the contents of items in
indexed locations. But if you specifically want to search the contents but
not filename, subject etc. you can use contents:search_term.

"Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:

[...]

om...

Old March 10th 07, 12:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Flash Gortdon

Hmmmmmm The syntax "contents:search_term" is not even listed in the syntax
page you specified below.

So having said that...is that listing you link to an abridged version?

If yes - then where is the full listing please?

Otherwise its like trying to repair a car using pliers and a couple of
spanners......

Can do some things but not enough to complete the job!

Cheers

FG

news:artou2hcshf1cdqi4as50apfjr80400qus@4ax. com...

Old March 10th 07, 02:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Guest

I tried @content as well as content:

If I bother constructing a search it's because I need to be precise to avoid
massive number of false hits. Not specifing any field wll find contents but
using either Indexing Server syntax or AQS and specifing the contents it is
not found.

In XP one entered advanced searching syntax in the containing text field.
But it would only parse it if indexing was on else it searched for the
characters. How do the Search Options affect searching.

Old March 10th 07, 05:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Guest

Also there is no mention of wildcards in documentation. For instance NT
wildcards are different to dos, and modified so dos ones will work on NT.
Yet how does search parse wildcards, NT (a reg exp with dos compat), NT pure
(Reg Exp), or simple Dos (first * is assumed to be the end of the search
expression). Or perhaps it uses the programming languages RegExps. What
about word stemming.

What about a complete reference to search. I won't use it unless I know what
it is going to do. I need to have confidence in the results of a search.

I have RegExp scripts I use to search (for contents) and use For in cmd to
traverse the tree. I find things incl unicode in non unicode files. I know
when my search is complete that if nothing is found then their is nothing to
be found. Unfortunately it takes a long time to parse a disk or part of one.

Old March 12th 07, 05:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave Wood [MS]

Yes, "content:" is missing from that doc unfortunately. I believe there's a
more complete MSDN doc in the works but it is not available yet.

The behavior is that by default a search term on its own searches all
properties, including file contents. If you specifically want to search only
file names you can use the "filename:" keyword. If you specifically want to
search only contents you can use the "content:" keyword.

If you change the search options to say "Always search filenames only" then
a search term on its own only searches filenames. If you need to search
contents also, you can use the "content:" keyword {indexed locations only}.

Is this the behavior you are seeing? If not let us know.

Dave

Old March 13th 07, 12:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Guest

I'm busy at the moment. I will give a reply in a day (with some length).
Please keep monitoring.

PS Sorry it big. I spent decades searching and transforming data with search
and replace (and when there was reuse writing programs to do same).

What about wildcards?

does *.t*x finds txt files and not ttf files (as it would in dos but not
cmd)

does * mean the same as *.* (as it does in Dos and Cmd as Cmd maintains
compat with command.com)

Do wildcards work in non filename fields, like DocAuthor. If so which and
what rules.

I only have Office 95 installed at the moment (for the Dictionary from
Bookshelf Basics, next thing to install when I get around to it, is Works
Suite 6 for Encarta. Later versions of Office are a long way away). In OLEDB
in Control Panel I don't seem to have access to the database driver for
Indexing. Is this because I have 95 and it can't use it or is it not
included in Vista. If not what is it included with.

One thing I want to do is compare Explorer's object properties with the
Search's docs. EG these are the 267 properties Explorer can show [So I need
a few hours to compare - also what dll are the words in for AQS so it can
parse it - is it a MUI thingy].

Name, Size, Type, Date modified, Date created, Date accessed, Attributes,
Offline status, Offline availability, Perceived type, Owner, Kinds, Date
taken, Artists, Album, Year, Genre, Conductors, Tags, Rating, Authors,
Title, Subject, Categories, Comments, Copyright, #, Length, Bit rate,
Protected, Camera model, Dimensions, Camera maker, Company, File
description, Program name, Duration, Is online, Is recurring, Location,
Optional attendee addresses, Optional attendees, Organizer address,
Organizer name, Reminder time, Required attendee addresses, Required
attendees, Resources, Free/busy status, Total size, Account name, Computer,
Anniversary, Assistant's name, Assistant's phone, Birthday, Business
address, Business city, Business country/region, Business P.O. box, Business
postal code, Business state or province, Business street, Business fax,
Business home page, Business phone, Callback number, Car phone, Children,
Company main phone, Department, E-mail Address, E-mail2, E-mail3, E-mail
list, E-mail display name, File as, First name, Full name, Gender, Given
name, Hobbies, Home address, Home city, Home country/region, Home P.O. box,
Home postal code, Home state or province, Home street, Home fax, Home phone,
IM addresses, Initials, Job title, Label, Last name, Mailing address, Middle
name, Cell phone, Nickname, Office location, Other address, Other city,
Other country/region, Other P.O. box, Other postal code, Other state or
province, Other street, Pager, Personal title, City, Country/region, P.O.
box, Postal code, State or province, Street, Primary e-mail, Primary phone,
Profession, Spouse, Suffix, TTY/TTD phone, Telex, Webpage, Status, Content
type, Date acquired, Date archived, Date completed, Date imported, Client
ID, Contributors, Content created, Last printed, Date last saved, Division,
Document ID, Pages, Slides, Total editing time, Word count, Due date, End
date, File count, Filename, File version, Flag color, Flag status, Space
free, Bit depth, Horizontal resolution, Width, Vertical resolution, Height,
Importance, Is attachment, Is deleted, Has flag, Is completed, Incomplete,
Read status, Shared, Creator, Date, Folder name, Folder path, Folder,
Participants, Path, Contact names, Entry type, Language, Date visited,
Description, Link status, Link target, URL, Media created, Date released,
Encoded by, Producers, Publisher, Subtitle, User web URL, Writers,
Attachments, Bcc addresses, Bcc names, Cc addresses, Cc names, Conversation
ID, Date received, Date sent, From addresses, From names, Has attachments,
Sender address, Sender name, Store, To addresses, To do title, To names,
Mileage, Album artist, Beats-per-minute, Composers, Initial key, Mood, Part
of set, Period, Color, Parental rating, Parental rating reason, Space used,
EXIF version, Event, Exposure bias, Exposure program, Exposure time, F-stop,
Flash mode, Focal length, 35mm focal length, ISO speed, Lens maker, Lens
model, Light source, Max aperture, Metering mode, Orientation, Program mode,
Saturation, Subject distance, White balance, Priority, Project, Channel
number, Episode name, Closed captioning, Rerun, SAP, Broadcast date, Program
description, Recording time, Station call sign, Station name, Auto summary,
Summary, Search ranking, Sensitivity, Shared with, Product name, Product
version, Source, Start date, Billing information, Complete, Task owner,
Total file size, Legal trademarks, Video compression, Directors, Data rate,
Frame height, Frame rate, Frame width, Total bitrate,

Old March 13th 07, 11:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Guest

To give you an idea I'm searching Drive C with non indexed, hidden etc
looking for a dll with Name = AQS (via field in advanced search) in the
name - name:*aqs* - the search is still going minutes later. Cmd searched
the disk in 1 or 2 seconds, using

dir c:\*aqs*.* /a /s

[and did I say, after making a cup of coffee that search is still
searching - it's when the progress bar starts overwriting the stop button
that is slow.]

There must be some problem - this looking for AQS in a file name is now over
15 minutes of disk churning. Am I in fact searching for AQS anywhere in a
filename (not ext or path) where AQS may start, be in the middle, or at the
end of the name (or the only string in the name). I have (I haven't counted
for years) over 50,000 documents.

I must have been using contents keyword -content did find both names and
strings of digits (which humans call numbers).

Another 6 minutes go by since my last writing about speed while prograss bar
crawls across the stop button. It only took a minute or so to reach the stop
button (it's 1/2 way across the stop button).

Also there is no go button on Search Field. How does a mouse user initiate a
search?
Why does it delete my search terms when I hit the stop? Where is
autocomplete? Where is a Search History.

Have you noticed since IE4 was released MS has insisted we type rather than
use mouses. I will cut and paste.

Another 5 minutes go by, search seems no closer to finishing. Can't wait for
this to finish.

Old March 13th 07, 12:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Guest

Interesting, as soon as I sent last news post Search Finished as soon as
message was sent. The post being open was interfering in search (as an
hypothsis).

Old March 13th 07, 01:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Guest

I turned off search. It doesn't work. It can't stop, it can't find anything,
it defaults to not finding files, you can't tell it to start, it keeps
clearng Search All Files, and on and on. It's a UI nightmare.