Xbox 360 Wireless Controller will not connect to PC

Old April 22nd 07, 07:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Autobot5150

Default Xbox 360 Wireless Controller will not connect to PC

I am unable to get my Xbox 360 wireless controller to connect to the wireless
receiver under Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit. The wireless controller is
using a standard battery pack. My PC is running a eVga's Nvidia 680i
motherboard, which is controlling the USB ports. The wireless receiver plugs
directly into one of the motherboard's rear USB ports.

If I power the controller on before I turn on (or reboot) the computer, the
controller will connect when Vista boots, but I am unable to play game with
the controller. Launching Solitaire, for example, causes the joystick to
connect and the green light highlights the top left quadrant of the menu
button (1). This sounds good, but I can not control the game...

If I boot up Vista then turn on the controller, all four lights on the menu
button lights blink and never stop. At this point the controller is not
listed in the "Game Controllers" control panel. I can re-sync the controller
to the wireless receiver, but the menu button lights still blink and the
controller will still not show up in the "Game Controllers" control panel.

The very first time I installed this controller, I was able to play
solitaire with it. After a reboot, nothing. I may have used a different USB
port when I moved the receiver to the other side of my desk. Returning the
receiver on the original USB port doesn't help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old April 23rd 07, 12:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi,

If you run msconfig from the search box, is the xbox receiver program
enabled on the startup tab?
Is the receiver's light lit when the system finishes loading?
Dumb question perhaps, but have you tried changing batteries?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Old April 25th 07, 04:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Autobot5150

The xbox receiver is enabled in msconfig. The light on the receiver is green
and I did try different batteries.

I returned the controller to the store and purchased a new one. The new
controller seemed fine at first, but the same problem is back.

Old April 25th 07, 11:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi,

Then I would next reinstall the receiver software, but not from the supplied
disk. Get the latest version from this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/ga...indows%20Vista

Old April 26th 07, 01:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Autobot5150

Hello,

I have already installed this software, Xbox 360 Accessories Software 1.1
32-bit for Windows Vista. In fact, this is the only driver software that I
have installed & un-installed & re-installed. I never installed the software
that came on the CD.

As a side note. I can occasionally get the controller to work, but when I
play Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six VEGAS the controller will not work, even though
it will work with Solitaire and it does work with the wired 360 controller.
The menu button highlights the #1 position (green light at the top left of
the menu button), but no game control...

Thank you for your assistance.

Old April 26th 07, 10:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi,

That game is listed as "Supported OS:Windows XP (only)" he
http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=68321&category=PC

So it doesn't surprise me that the controller won't work for it.

As to the general problem, if you've already uninstalled/reinstalled the
software, then I would next remove and reinstall all USB devices via device
mangler, er manager.

Old June 20th 07, 11:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DanielC

I am also have trouble connecting, I am running 64 bit Vista Ultimate and I
loaded xbox360_64eng rev 1.1 before I nstalled the usb receiver. Checking
the driver in the system devices shows the driver is working properly for the
receiver. When relinking the contoller the quadrant lights spin around but
then all 4 flash never locking on a channel. Any thoughts
--
Daniel C

Old June 29th 07, 04:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
kabo0se

Hi,

I'm brand new to this forum and joined specifically for the sake of
solving this problem. I am having the EXACT same problem as the
original poster (controller works at first then stops working, and no
amount of install and reinstall fixes it). I have Vista 32-bit and
have the most up to date version of the controller and receiver
software.

Any help would be appreciated (I have tried the suggested things
already).
Thanks

--
kabo0se
kabo0se's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=27294

http://forums.techarena.in

Old January 17th 08, 06:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
deanbayley

Hi Guys,

I have just solved this, I have a EVGA 680i Board with a 6600 @ 3ghz
with 4gb of elixir ram...

My controller worked fine for a few months then one day wouldn't
work...

I reinstalled the OS which made no difference, upgraded to Vista which
again made no difference, the receiver would always work on my laptop
so I knew it wasn't the controller or receiver...

The next culprit was the usb controller, not wanting to replace the
whole board I ordered a PCI usb card 'NEW NEC 5-PORTS USB 2.0 HIGH
SPEED 480MB/S PCI CARD HUB on eBay, also USB Cards, Interface Cards,
Desktop PC Components, Computing (end time 09-Jan-08 19:35:00 GMT)'
(http://search.ebay.co.uk/150202912699)...

As soon as I plugged it in and rebooted the machine the controller
re-synced itself and it works perfectly..

I have seen an article saying that others have found that the wireless
receiver "sucks power" from the usb ports, but i can't find it..

Hope that helps someone!

D.

--
deanbayley
Old February 11th 08, 12:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mithrandir

This solution doesn't seem satisfactory to me. I am experiencing the
same problems, but I don't have the same USB controller the previous
poster, so it would seem logical that the problem isn't the USB
controller. My wireless xbox controller worked fine when I first
tried the receiver, but now that it has been a few days and I've
rebooted a time or two, the light just blinks at me.

Any other ideas? Anyone else still have this problem and don't want
to go buy new hardware?