Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Vista slow deleting, moving and copying files?

Old May 8th 07, 07:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
NewsReader2K

Default Vista slow deleting, moving and copying files?

System Specs:

Vista Ultimate
P4 3.2 Ghz
2 gig DDR dual-channel memory

I did a Google search and got bombarded with conflicting info, and was I
wondering if there were an official work-around for this issue?

Thx

Old May 12th 07, 07:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
brink

Hi NewsReader2k,

Could be many things causing this. Try these most common remedies:

1. defrag hard drive
2. run a registry cleaner
3. run a registry defragger
4. run disk cleanup
5. make sure you have the most current drivers (BIOS, video, sound,
etc.)

Also try these 3 tips to improve hard drive performance at this link:

'_http://www.vista64.net/forums/tricks-n-tips/59886-how-boost-hard-drive-speed.html_'
(http://tinyurl.com/372cnd)

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

"Practice makes perfect, then you reinstall"
Vista 64 Home Premium
1.5 Gig DDR2 533 Mhz (PC4200) RAM
Old June 13th 07, 03:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Zygote

brink, I think you're missing the point.

Vista is *Extremely* slow at copying files between drives. As an example, I
just copied the install file for Filezilla from a network location to my hard
disk, a whopping 3.72Mb. It took vista about 1 and a half minutes to copy!!
Most of the time it was "calculating time remaining". The same copy process
to an XP machine is almost instant.

Microsoft really need to fix this.

Old June 13th 07, 04:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
brink

Ok Zygote,

Sorry, that is extemely slow. I'm not for sure if this will help, but
I read that uninstall McAfee completely (if you have it) will help.
Read it to at this link and see what you think??

'How to Fix Windows Vista Slow Network Transfer » ADS-Links.com
Internet Marketing - Ian Lee' (http://tinyurl.com/yq32c8)

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.
Old June 13th 07, 05:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Pete138

Until MS fixes the problem, try Terracopy from:
http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.asp
It works very good.

--
Pete138
Pete138's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21959

http://forums.techarena.in

Old June 13th 07, 09:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Zygote

This problem has already been fixed with a hotfix package. Go to the
following website and the KB article. If this is the behavior that you are
seeing, go to the second link to request the hotfix. Fill in the form and
make sure that you enter "931770" in the KB section. You should receive a
reply with a link to download/install the hotfix within 24 hours.

The copy process may stop responding when you try to copy files from a
server on a network to a Windows Vista-based computer:

Contact Us: Hotfix Request Web Submission Form:
https://support.microsoft.com/common...ge=1&WS=hotfix

You may also want to take a look at this article.

When you copy large files to or from earlier operating systems, the copy
operation may be slower than expected on some Windows Vista-based computers:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932170

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Old June 14th 07, 08:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Zygote

Thanks to everyone who replied, there is so much conflicting information out
there regarding this issue but the one that fixed it for me was to disable
the "IP Helper", "Windows Search" and "Computer Browser" services. If I get
time I might enable them again one by one to see if it's just a single
service that's causing this issue. The post I read originally said to
disable "IP Helper" and "Computer Browser".

I'll check the link regarding McAfee as I do have VS8.5i installed and the
protection pilot agent V3.6.6
Old June 14th 07, 09:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
brink

Zygote,

Glad to hear it.
I just read one that said to disable TCP Auto Tuning to fix it. (hehe)
Who knows for sure.

Regards,
Shawn

Old June 15th 07, 12:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
NewsReader2k

Ronnie Vernon MVP;2928238 Wrote:
[...]

Sorry but the problem has not been addressed!!

MS was very specific:

"Hotfix information

A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft. However, it is
intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article.
Apply it only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.
This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not
severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the
next service pack that contains this hotfix."

The problem exists even if you "copy/move/delete" files from folder to
folder on the same drive, having nothing to do with networking.

I have tried many of the workarounds found on the net, and none of them
works for me.

NewsReader2k

--
NewsReader2k
NewsReader2k's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=26776

Old June 15th 07, 12:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
brink

Zygote;345194 Wrote:
Thanks to everyone who replied, there is so much conflicting information
out
there regarding this issue but the one that fixed it for me was to
disable
the "IP Helper", "Windows Search" and "Computer Browser" services. If I
get
time I might enable them again one by one to see if it's just a single
service that's causing this issue. The post I read originally said to
disable "IP Helper" and "Computer Browser".

I'll check the link regarding McAfee as I do have VS8.5i installed and
the
protection pilot agent V3.6.6

Zygote,

Try disabling the TCP Auto Tune. Go to this link and start ay step 1.
The links for Live Messenger, but it shows you how to disable the Auto
tune. If it doesn't work for you, then just undo it to enable it again.

http://tinyurl.com/2ggylq

Hope this helps,
Shawn