Visat 256Mb Video Card Recommendation

Old May 23rd 07, 09:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Default Visat 256Mb Video Card Recommendation

David,

I found something right away. This will get you started:

http://www.foxpop.com/imre/2005/vpur...purecover.html

This site addresses ATI cards because that technology first came out on
their cards, since they developed it. Now that Microsoft is using the same
technology, the issues and troubleshooting steps should be similar. Take a
look and get started. This the best I can do.

I had this problem once, and the cause turned out to be an incompatibility
between my processor and the motherboard chipset. I installed an earlier
processor, and the problem was solved. This problem showed up no where and
only manifested itself by producing a VPU Recovery error. Tough.
--
freddy

"David" wrote:

freddy wrote:
Dave,

Ha, your comments indicate that you have the old VPU Recovery problem. VPU
recovery is a technology included in Vista, but was developed by ATI. The
technology is intended to recover from a graphics issue without crashing the
computer.

So, instead of crashing the system, and thus having to reboot, the
technology just crashes the graphics function and then recovers. It doesn't
always work that way, but that's the idea. Sometimes you still crash the
system. It depends on how serious the problem is.

VPU recovery issues oftentimes are caused by some hardware conflict, but it
can be difficult in finding the problem and eliminating it. Some of the
things that can cause the problem is outdated or buggy chipset drivers,
improper RAM or processor, timings (overclocking), or some other incompatible
hardware lurking in the background.

To learn more use google to get information and to find steps to take to
resolve the issue. Post back so that we can learn, tool.

Well no overclocking here. Control panel shows everything is OK but then
it may not catch everything.

Lockups sometimes happen when I use Thunderbird and scroll up and down
in a newsgroup. But then it happens elsewhere too.

Old May 24th 07, 02:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

David,

Here is a post that could apply to you. Take a look at your BIOS, quote:

I am an amateur but I found this solution to the hang problem that was
plagueing my system.

In the Award BIOS advance CPU setting I disabled the Intel timing control
and the CIE. I found this suggestion on an overclocking site.

This seems to have cured the hang problem completely and has allowed the
system to sync at a higher speed. Vista would not run well even under the
stock and recommended settings in the BIOS. I had not attended closely to
these settings previously. The same system, the same settings, worked
flawlessly in XP 32 and XP 64. Not in Vista. Your Display module seems very
sensitive to this issue and would freeze when the system lagged, worse at
higher bus settings. Memory diagnostics did not detect the problem.

Just thought I would past that on. The world is good now. No more screen
freeze.

Unquote

You never know where the problem could be, so check it out.
--
freddy

Old May 24th 07, 04:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David

freddy wrote:
[...]

I will put that one in the things to try notes. BTW the MB is
ELITEGROUP P4M800PRO-M with a 2.66MHz P4 and 1GB

Thanks.. Dave
Old May 24th 07, 04:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David

David wrote:
freddy wrote:
[...]

I mean it is an Abit IP-95 with a P4!!
Old May 24th 07, 12:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

David,

I hear ya. I'm checking in from time-to-time.
--
freddy

Old May 24th 07, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David

freddy wrote:
David,

I hear ya. I'm checking in from time-to-time.

I tried a ATI card x1550 pci-e and it also freezes. Something on the MB
or BIOS may be the issue.

Old May 24th 07, 08:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

David,

Correcto mundo.
--
freddy

Old May 24th 07, 08:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David

David wrote:
David wrote:
freddy wrote:
[...]

My BIOS doesn't have these options.
Old May 24th 07, 09:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

David,

Too bad. I mean, you could have fixed the issue right then. Keep looking.
It's there somewhere.
--
freddy

"David" wrote:

Old May 24th 07, 10:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

David,

I neglected to also say that you should check a Vista report for possible
specific
errors and corrective measures to take: Click on Start (icon) and select All
Programs. Then, select Maintenance Problem Reports and Solutions. When
that report opens, select from among the Tasks on the left margin. Here you
may (hopefully) see specific information about what caused your problem.
Take a look to see what information might be there. You might get lucky.
--
freddy

"David" wrote: