Visat 256Mb Video Card Recommendation

Old May 25th 07, 11:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Default Visat 256Mb Video Card Recommendation

David,

OK, I've had another brain storm. Check for unsigned drivers. These
drivers have been known to cause mysterious crashes and other problems.
Microsoft insists that vendors submit their drivers to Microsoft for testing
to ensure they run properly. When Microsoft verifies the reliability of
drivers, it refers to this process as "signed drivers." You likely are aware
of this process. Anyway, to check, open the Run app under Start (icon in
Vista). In the area provided, enter this command: sigverif.exe and press
OK. Vista will provide a list of unsigned drivers. Shut down, one at a
time, each program running with unsigned drivers. If crashes stop, you've
found it. Not all unsigned drivers cause problems.
--
freddy

"David" wrote:

David wrote:
David wrote:
freddy wrote:
David,

Here is a post that could apply to you. Take a look at your BIOS,
quote:

I am an amateur but I found this solution to the hang problem that
was plagueing my system.
In the Award BIOS advance CPU setting I disabled the Intel timing
control and the CIE. I found this suggestion on an overclocking site.
This seems to have cured the hang problem completely and has allowed
the system to sync at a higher speed. Vista would not run well even
under the stock and recommended settings in the BIOS. I had not
attended closely to these settings previously. The same system, the
same settings, worked flawlessly in XP 32 and XP 64. Not in Vista.
Your Display module seems very sensitive to this issue and would
freeze when the system lagged, worse at higher bus settings. Memory
diagnostics did not detect the problem.

Just thought I would past that on. The world is good now. No more
screen freeze.
Unquote

You never know where the problem could be, so check it out.

I will put that one in the things to try notes. BTW the MB is
ELITEGROUP P4M800PRO-M with a 2.66MHz P4 and 1GB

Thanks.. Dave

I mean it is an Abit IP-95 with a P4!!

My BIOS doesn't have these options.

Old May 26th 07, 02:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David

freddy wrote:
David,

OK, I've had another brain storm. Check for unsigned drivers. These
drivers have been known to cause mysterious crashes and other problems.
Microsoft insists that vendors submit their drivers to Microsoft for testing
to ensure they run properly. When Microsoft verifies the reliability of
drivers, it refers to this process as "signed drivers." You likely are aware
of this process. Anyway, to check, open the Run app under Start (icon in
Vista). In the area provided, enter this command: sigverif.exe and press
OK. Vista will provide a list of unsigned drivers. Shut down, one at a
time, each program running with unsigned drivers. If crashes stop, you've
found it. Not all unsigned drivers cause problems.

Well I have made some progress. Windows reported that there was a
problem with the video card/driver but that there was no solution. This
was with the latest nvidia driver.

There was also an error for a PVR/video card as well as the Belkin WiFi
card. I removed the PVR card but can;t say things improved. I removed
the Belkin WiFi card and so far the system has been stable although I
have not used it for very long.

I can get along without the WiFi for now.

Another error from Microsoft Windows Defender has a solution but so far
I have not implemented it. I need to rename a file bit it keeps saying I
need permission. I am set up as the administrator so I am not sure what
that is all about.

So far the Vista experience has been a bust. I had better luck with
Linux Ubuntu.
Old May 26th 07, 12:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

David,

Glad to hear that you're making progress. If your system remains stable
after removing the WiFi card, then that was the problem. Check Belkin for
updated Vista drivers. It sounds to me that you're going to get to the
bottom of this. I think you're close.

You should be able to change the permissions, even when you're running as
administrator. I don't recall the procedure for doing it off hand, but you
can do a google search, or see whether you can find it in Windows Help and
Support, under the Start icon. I think you right click the file and select
one of the tabs you get after you right click.

Sure, installing a new operating system can be somewhat of a bust, but we
can't expect a system to operate with incompatible hardware and drivers.
Even nVidea is having problems in getting their drivers to play nice with
Vista. I've seen plenty of comments about this on the Internet. These
problems take time to iron out. It's getting there.
--
freddy

Old May 27th 07, 06:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave

"David" wrote:

freddy wrote:
[...]

No loock ups since I removed the wireless PCI card. I am getting another
GByte of memory. I will install that aned then put the WiFi card back in ( I
will change PCI slots) and see how it goes. For whatever reason the WiFi
card seems to have been the issue.