Setting all directory view settings the same.

Old June 6th 07, 08:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
zzz

Default Setting all directory view settings the same.

I tried to set-up all my subfolder directories all with the same layout in
Vista Ultimate, by selecting: Tools, Folder Options, and View. Or: Organize,
Folder & Search, and View. However selecting “Apply to Folders” will not set
the width and location of the directory’s fields nor set the size of the
window. Perhaps there's another way, or this feature doesn't work, although
it worked in XP and ME. Continually resizing windows and fields makes Vista
slower to use. If templates control this process, how do I find out what
template is being used by a folder? How can all folder templates be made the
same and edited? I am willing to buy a folder template editor from another
vendor if available. Does the world have 500 billion hours to research and
configure Vista? Thanks for any thoughts, any on-line references or book
titles..
Old June 7th 07, 04:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Rock

"zzz" wrote
I tried to set-up all my subfolder directories all with the same layout in
Vista Ultimate, by selecting: Tools, Folder Options, and View. Or:
Organize,
Folder & Search, and View. However selecting “Apply to Folders” will not
set
the width and location of the directory’s fields nor set the size of the
window. Perhaps there's another way, or this feature doesn't work,
although
it worked in XP and ME. Continually resizing windows and fields makes
Vista
slower to use. If templates control this process, how do I find out what
template is being used by a folder?

Right click on the folder | Properties | Customize. Under the "What kind of
folder do you want" section, whatever is listed is the template for that
folder. There are five types.

How can all folder templates be made the
same and edited?

Open a folder for each of the five types and change the settings, then for
each one go to View | Apply to Folders.

For more info on this go to Start | Help and Support and search on "change
folder views and behavior"

I am willing to buy a folder template editor from another
vendor if available.

Sorry I don't know about what is available in this area.

Does the world have 500 billion hours to research and
configure Vista? Thanks for any thoughts, any on-line references or book
titles..

Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to get all folders to display
in one way with specific column widths. It appears to be that Vista is
inconsistent in this area and randomly changes the settings. I see it as
one of the (many) UI bugs.

Also since this issue is really more of one about the UI (user interface),
you might also want to post it to vista.general.

Good luck.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]