formating video files

Old June 24th 07, 08:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
rueanna

Default formating video files

how do i change video formats from say avi to mpg,or mpg to mp3

Old June 24th 07, 02:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Buellpilot

What you want to do is called transcoding.
Basically a video encoded in one format is re-encoded in a different format.
This will always result in a reduction in quality, how much of a reduction
depends on what you started with and what format you intend to go to.

How this is done depends on exactly what you have and the reason
you wish to change the format, as there are many different tools out
there.

Old June 24th 07, 03:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Adam Albright

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 15:46:44 +0100, "Buellpilot"
wrote:

What you want to do is called transcoding.
Basically a video encoded in one format is re-encoded in a different format.
This will always result in a reduction in quality, how much of a reduction
depends on what you started with and what format you intend to go to.

Actually not always true. You can transcode transparently with no
visible loss in quality with the RIGHT encoder. You only risk
suffering noticeable loss if you start with a highly compressed source
file such as some MPEG files, not nearly as much with WMV or some DivX
and certainly not a serious problem with flavors of DV either in AVI
or DV formats.

The general rule is avoid editing a source file that's already highly
compressed such a typical file downloaded from the web which often is
in MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 format.