File Permissions-Yo Jimmy

Old October 19th 06, 11:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jeff

Default File Permissions-Yo Jimmy

Next one

Jeff

"Jimmy Brush" wrote in message
Jeff ... as far as I am aware, you should be able to take ownership of any
file on your hard drive when using administrator permission. Once you have
ownership, you should be able to change permission settings on the file
without prejudice (regardless of the permissions on the file).

I am curious as to what security is being applied to that file.

Please do the following:

- Click Start
- Type: cmd
- Right-click command prompt
- Click run as administrator
- Type: icacls PATH /save c:\permissions.txt

Where path is the file/folder you are having trouble with. For example:

icacls c:\windows\system32\explorer.exe /save c:\permisions.txt

- Browse to c:\
- Double-click permissions.txt
- Paste the contents of that file to the newsgroup

--
- JB

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Old October 19th 06, 11:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jeff

I see; from those shots;that Jeff/RC2 administrators does not have full
control.
D'Oh
So O.K. how?

Jeff
Help save a noob-lol :-)!

Old October 20th 06, 12:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Rick Rogers

Hi Jeff,

Select the security tab, click on the advanced button near the bottom. Click
on the Owner tab of the next dialog, then click edit. If UAC is on, you will
need to click continue, then click on your username in the "change owner to"
list and place a check in the box for "replace owner on subcontainers and
objects". Ok your way out.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jeff" wrote in message
Rick,
OK,
How? at edit I choose my name under administrators;then check the full
control box. It checks them;when I hit apply;I get a deny.
Going that advanced route I find my name in the admin group; give it full
control;hit appy-still deny.
Need help here;for a file noob-lol
Thanks,
Jeff

"Rick Rogers" wrote in message
Hi Jeff,

Take ownership of it first (include subcontainers), then change
permissions.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jeff" wrote in message
Jimmy,
How do i set file permissions? When i go to propertiessecurityedit;
and try to change it; I get access denied.
Basically I want my admin priveledges back;in FULL; like trusted
installer.
Any help?

Anyone's more than welcome to answer.

Jeff

Old October 20th 06, 01:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jeff

Rick,
YEAY-Ya saved a noob!!! I give ya an atta-boy; for your MVP !!!! :-)!!!
even copied it to a text file and saved it on a flash; for future
reference!!
YEAY-Will the 'REAL' admin please stand up?!!!
YEAY Yeay YEAY- Ha-I'll even keep uac on from now on.
My admin is back!!!!! ME-LOL
I know' I shouldn't be messing with files;but hey; if I want to mess up my
o.s. ;it's up to me!!! At least now it is!!!
Thanks so much,
oh; and Jimmy; also;you guys are great- might even put up with SPP
now-(OOPS-that's a different thread-LOL)

Jeff

Old October 20th 06, 05:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Nick Payne

Take ownership and then change the permissions. That's what I had to do with
winhlp32.exe to replace the dummy winhlp32.exe included in Vista with the
winhlp32.exe from WinXP - some of the apps I use have .HLP help files.

Nick