Windows Vista and Games Relating to running games and relateds issues under Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.games)

WoW and the network crash/reboot

Old November 8th 06, 05:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
carpat

Default WoW and the network crash/reboot

I am truly not sure what to classify this under so I am putting it under
games as it only seems to happen while playing World of Warcraft. (I WIll
also leave something under their Vista Beta frorum.)

I am currently using Vista releasee 5744 on an AMD 3000+; Asus A7N8X
(Nvidia2) MB (with onboard E-Net port); 2gigs RAM; Gforce 6600; SB Audigy 2ZS
PC with all the latest Beta drivers.

For the most part the PC works great. I turned off Glass cause I was having
some memory issues with DVD burning and otehr stuff and wanted to eliminate
the display as the cause..

WHAT IS THE ISSUE: So the problem I am having is that when I play WoW and
upon completing a quest (can take up to 5 seconds to actually occur, but the
common factor is clicking quest complete and hearing the reward sound) one of
two things happens:

The first is that my internet connection goes down. For all intent and
purposes my network is fully functional which I can test by going to any of
the 6 other PCs connected and surf the web. On the game PC I canot browse
the web or the internal network. I cannot Release/Renew and IP or even pink
the loop back. Its just dead.

The second thing that can happen is that the monitor goes black, the PC
makes a weird humming sound and then reboots itself.

The only consistant thing is that it ALWAYS occurs just after I have
completed quest. Now it is not every quest cause I can go for hours
sometimes and not have a problem, then once it happens it won't stop. The
only think I can think of is that it is when the server is full (which I can
tell cause of the queue that happens when I have to log in each time), but
that is not even that consistent because after a whil with the issue the
queue goes away buthe problem doesn't.

Not sure if anyone else has had a similar problem, but I wanted to get this
out there in case someone might have a similar situation.
Old November 8th 06, 05:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
carpat

Quick note that I went out to the WoW site (should have done that first) and
found this:
Are you getting disconnected or is the game crashing when you turn in a quest?
http://www.blizzard.com/support/wow/?id=aww01679p

Old November 24th 06, 07:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Mike C.

I actually had filed this as a bug during beta testing of Vista.

It was a result of Nvidia's driver. I have yet to experience this issue in
Vista x64 build 6000 (RTM).