Firewire (IEEE 1394) not working

Old July 19th 08, 12:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SCSIraidGURU

Default Firewire (IEEE 1394) not working

I use a Firewire Direct NitroAV Firewire 800 controller in Vista x64
Ultimate. Do you have the drivers installed in the device manager?

--
SCSIraidGURU

Michael A. McKenney
'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)

Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
16GB DDR667
SAS RAID
eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
Old August 17th 08, 02:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
sjc

Here's my story.... any more input on resolutions! Pleae reply.

I bought Vista (Home Edition 32-bit) in December '07 from Dell. For 5
months, my Sony Hi8 DV Camcorder worked great. I could download movies
without a problem using a 4 to 6 pin firewire cable (IEEE 1394) right into
Adobe Premier Elements 4.0 for editing.

Until May... at some point, the same camera via the same firewire cable is
now no longer recognized by the computer, or by the software, and doesn't
even appear in my device manager list. The only change I made was the
purchase of a Dell 22" LCD monitor with an intregal webcam.

I talked with Dell online, and they want me to revert to factory settings. I
didn't do this. I talked with Adobe online and they suggested deleting the
firewire port registry key. I didn't do this. I talked with Sony and they
said to have the camera fixed. I decided to have the camera serviced for $110.

Unfortunately, that did not fix the problem. The camera is still not
recognized. Thinking it might be the webcam drivers blocking the imaging
device, I tried to uninstall all the components of that webcam, but I don't
know if I did it correctly, because that didn't seem to work. And Vista goes
looking for the webcam drivers and loads it again.

I bought a new Sony mini-DV camera. That does not work either.

The cables and ports I have used all work because it allows me to plug in
and use my Sony CD/DVD-ROM device.

Any ideas why it would just stop working? And any ideas on how to get Vista
to recognize my camera?
Old September 11th 08, 01:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Expertz[_2_]

FIREWIRE (IEEE 1394) TROUBLESHOOTING

'Description of 1394 Connection in Windows XP '
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307736/en-us)

This article describes the 1394 connection in Windows XP. Windows XP
provides support for Internet Protocol (IP) networking over the IEEE
1394 bus. The interface is listed in the Network Connections folder as
"1394 Connection".

'Using IEEE 1394 (FireWire) Devices with Windows XP'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310433/en-us)

This article describes the Institute of Electrical and Electronic
Engineers (IEEE) 1394 standard and how to use IEEE 1394 with Microsoft
Windows XP. NOTE : Apple Computer FireWire is a common implementation of
the IEEE 1394 standard.

'General Troubleshooting for IEEE 1394 Devices and Host Controllers'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314873/en-us)

This article lists basic steps for troubleshooting Institute of
Electrical and Electronics Engineering (IEEE) 1394 devices and host
controllers.

'1394 Storage Device Does Not Work After You Insert or Remove 1394
Device' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311430/en-us)

A 1394 storage device with more than one Logical Unit Number (LUN) may
stop functioning if another 1394 device is either inserted or removed
from the computer.

For more check out 'this' (http://kadaitcha.cx/xp/firewire.html) link

--
Expertz
Expertz's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/expertz.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old October 4th 08, 12:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jlias

Well, I'm running Vista on a HP dv9000. I had so many problems and
compatibility issues that I downgraded back to a sound OS.. XP over a
year ago. Then, my video went out and that's when all my problems really
started. Vista was re-installed by HP. I thought that a year later, my
peripherals might now have work... but no dice. But, ALAS!! I was able
to solve all my problems by doing something I never thought I'd do.... I
bought a Mac!! :O) Thanks MicroSoft and HP... one of the best decisions
I've ever made. My firewire cable and devices work just fine with it,
right out of the box.

Good Luck!

--
jlias
Old January 14th 09, 01:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
GavHendo

3banana;729002 Wrote:
Having scoured the internet for info I finally came across a tip
incorporated below to fix my Sony camcorder to Vista 1394 firewire
problem

Shuttle XPC SB75G2
P4 3.07
1Gb Mem
ATI 256Mb 1950XT
dual 360Gb SATA drives
Vista Ultimate

Sony DCR-PC330e camcorder

Befo
Vista says 1394 driver Ok
plug in camera- no response from Vista when camera is connected

procedure; (that worked for me)

In device manager
Uninstall 1394 device
turn camera on
plug in to 1394 port

in device manager;
Action/scan for hardware changes
system sees 1394 port, installs driver automatically

system then detected Sony DV-VCR automatically
manualy install driver by right clicking it in Device manager and
selecting 'update driver software'
do not let it do it automatically, select 'browse my computer for
driver software'
point it at c:\windows

it detects it as a 61883 class bus device and installs driver
camcorder appears in device manager as imaging device
after completion it brought up the autoplay window to ask how I wanted
to import the video

Great result, but didn;'t work for me either.

This seems ot be a problem for lots of people on the net, and I have
given up trying to fix fire wire and resorted to a USB Video Capture
cable. Do a sear4ch for one of those to import your video camera VGA
signal intot he computer.

--
GavHendo
Old January 26th 09, 07:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bucerias

3banana;729002 Wrote:
[...]

jobsagoodunarty:

hope this helps

I am running Vista Home Premium 32 bit on my Acer laptop. The pcmcia
firewire works on my neighbors XP laptop but not on my laptop. Do you
think the jobsagoodun solution would work for my Canon camcorder
connected to the firewire? I sure hope someone can help me. I am new
to this site. Bucerias

--
Bucerias
Old January 29th 09, 03:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
KevReid

I have been having the same problem - only in my case I can sometimes
get the camera to be recognised. I have the same problem on a Laptop
with XP sp2 and on Vista ultimate.

I found this link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

and follwed the registry edits to get mine to a state where it is more
reliable.

The problem appears to be with older firewire enabled cameras. When XP
SP 2 was released microsoft changed the SipSpeed setting from 100 to 400
but this can be too fast for some older equipment.

I created the SipSpeed entry in the registry and XP2 was fine.

I took a chance making the same change for Vista and it looks a lot
more reliable since then.

I guess there could be some newer cameras that have the same problem as
well if they have the old firewire connection speed.

Good Luck

--
KevReid
KevReid's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/kevreid.htm

Old January 30th 09, 05:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ricgmatawan

3banana;729002 Wrote:
[...]

Worked perfect. 64 Ultimate Pan PVGS50D ToshU405. Thanks. Was
struggling for a few.

--
Ricgmatawan
Old February 14th 09, 10:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
neil741

Same problem with Sony dcr-hc30 and vista home premium. this fix did not
work for me, does anyone have any new information / help.

Thanks

--
neil741
neil741's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/neil741.htm

Old February 14th 09, 05:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ray Luca

neil741 wrote:

Same problem with Sony dcr-hc30 and vista home premium. this fix did not
work for me, does anyone have any new information / help.

Thanks

WHAT "fix"?