Firewire (IEEE 1394) not working

Old May 29th 09, 11:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
brainstewn

Default Firewire (IEEE 1394) not working

I'm using a Grass Valley (Canopus) ADVC video capture device with the
supplied cable. I was plugging in the ADVC to the top firewire port and
would get a "ping" sound. Last week Adobe Premiere wouldn't recognize the
ADVC. When I unplug and plug back in no "ping" sound. I plugged the ADVC
into my laptop with that same cable and the laptop recognized the ADVC fine.

How can I remove and reinstall drivers or files associated with the 1394
Host and XP?

Darrell

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

A 4pin to 4pin 1394 cable isn't powered like a 6pin one. If you're using a
notebook and only have access to 4pin (either end) then ensure you have the
camcorder using A/C power, which should be enough to keep the connection
going. If you are on a desktop, use the 6pin (PC end) to 4pin (camcorder
end) and you should get a good connection.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"vibhub" wrote in message

I have Sony DCR-TRV18E Digital Video Camera. When I try to import the
video using a 4-pin IEEE1394 cable on Windows Vista using Microsoft
Movie Maker, I get the message that my camera is not connected to the
laptop.

Is there any driver that needs to be installed or could there be a
problem in the cable itself?

Vibhu

--
vibhub

Old June 10th 09, 01:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Battman540

I installed SP2 for Vista x64 and now my Firewire works! The problem was
the OS.

--
Battman540
Old July 18th 09, 01:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
sharkbyte

I have the exact same problem with Vista Ultimate 64. I'm going back to
XP. The only Microsoft OPERATING SYSTEM I've ever run. I stared with
Windows 3 Nightmare Windows 95 was an improvement but crashed, Windows
98 Train wreck, 2000 much better but 6 month drive rebuilds were
required. Windows XP worked well. What happened? Shame on you Tisk
Tisk shame on you Microsoft i feel like I'm running Window 3.0 again.

--
sharkbyte
Old July 24th 09, 10:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AtomicProductionsNZ

Hello All,

GREAT NEWS! I believe I have the same problem but have an answer - keep
your fingers crossed. I actually registered just so I could post this
reply as I know how you all feel.

I run a production company and have a new Avid edit suite but couldn't
get my cameras to work via the 1394 - they weren't being detected though
everything seemed to be working. Had a lot of work to do so this was a
major problem. I knew it was isolated to the computer and Vista 64 as I
have a laptop running Vista 32 which picked up Cameras and devices
without a problem.

Anyway I went through this forum without luck but stumbled upon the
answer on Microsoft. So here it is and hope it works for you as it did
me. Follow it very carefully and perhaps create a restore point just in
case you get it wrong.

To work around this problem, for non-compliant IEEE 1394a devices,
configure Windows Vista to enumerate inactive IEEE 1394 devices. To do
this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start
Collapse this imageExpand this image
Start button
, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in
the Programs list.

Collapse this imageExpand this image
User Account Control permission
If you are prompted for an administrator password or
confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{6BDD1FC1-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}\ControllerInstance
In this path, ControllerInstance represents the controller
instance number. For example, this number may be 0000.
3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit)
Value.
4. In the New Value #1 box, type EnumerateInactiveLink, and then
press ENTER.
5. Right-click EnumerateInactiveLink, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
7. Exit Registry Editor.

Let me know if it works,

Tom

--
AtomicProductionsNZ
AtomicProductionsNZ's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/117764.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old July 24th 09, 03:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
sharkbyte

Solution for IEEE 1394 in Vista Ultimate. I searched for files named
1394 on my Windows XP workstation and found the drivers. Copied the
drivers and placed them into the Vista Ultimate 64 bit workstation
c:\windows\system32\drivers folder. Then in the device manager I
removed the device that Vista had assigned the wrong 1394 driver to and
restarted and the system. After Vista loaded the external IEEE 1394
device was seen and Vista loaded a driver for it. Thankfully it was the
right one. Now the drive acts just like it did on my Windows XP system.

--
sharkbyte
Old August 18th 09, 04:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
brainstrain

After wasting much time browsing the many forums, trying the proposed
fixes and buying a new firewire cable I have just discovered why my Sony
TRV80E was not being recognised by Windows XP, SP3.
In a flash of inspiration I had a look at the IEE1394 connector on the
camera. To my surprise I noticed that one of the pins was bent out of
position. I carefully eased it back using a very fine watchmakers
screwdriver and, lo and behold, it works again.
Having tried a friends Sony camcorder and found that that worked OK I
was starting to believe that the interface electronics on the camera had
been damaged by hot plugging.
To all those people who think they've fried the electronics, look at
the connector! The bent pin is fairly obvious although I had to use a
magnifying glass to see it clearly. Carefully ease it back into place
but be careful.
Good luck!

--
brainstrain
brainstrain's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/126216.htm

Old September 23rd 09, 03:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
reedvideo

I like many, was pulling my hair out on this one. I agree with the
earlier post as far as Microsoft not wanting to support firewire, yet
most DV Cameras come with firewire.
I tried reinstalling Premiere, uninstalled the host controller from the
control panel numerous times, tried to update the driver etc,
etc.........

The only fix that worked for me is:
1) pull the firewire card out of the computer
2) restart and uninstall the IEEE 1394 Host Controller in the control
panel
3) shut down, reinstall the firewire card
4) restart and Vista will locate the new hardware and install the
appropriate driver.
Ta Dah! It works. Only problem is, if you shut down your computer, go
back to step #1.
What a pain in the A__! I'm shopping for a Mac now!

--
reedvideo