Vista's C:\WIindows\System.ini - how to modify it?

Old September 3rd 07, 11:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jon[_5_]

Default Vista's C:\WIindows\System.ini - how to modify it?

I have several 2000-era programs that work on a MS ME computer. To install
them on a MS ME, I have to manually add 2 xxxxxxxx.bin files in the windows
directory then add in 'system.ini' inside the section [386Enh], lines that
call on these two binaery files.

In trying to install these same programs on a Vista Ultimate machine, I find
I'm not allowed to change and save any changes in Vista's system.ini file,
even as an administrator. Is there any known way I can modify system.ini in
Vista?
Thanks for any help, Jon.

Old September 3rd 07, 03:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bruce Chambers

Jon wrote:
I have several 2000-era programs that work on a MS ME computer. To
install them on a MS ME, I have to manually add 2 xxxxxxxx.bin files in
the windows directory then add in 'system.ini' inside the section
[386Enh], lines that call on these two binaery files.

In trying to install these same programs on a Vista Ultimate machine, I
find I'm not allowed to change and save any changes in Vista's
system.ini file, even as an administrator. Is there any known way I can
modify system.ini in Vista?
Thanks for any help, Jon.

What specific error message(s) do you get? Is your System.ini file
flagged as "Read-Only?" If so, you'd have to change the attributes
before even an administrator can edit and save changes to it. (I've no
trouble editing C:\Windows\System.ini and saving changes on Vista
Business, so I'm sure it can be done.)

Also, have you tried running these applications using a compatibility
mode? Right-click on the pertinent application's Shortcut Properties
Compatibility Tab.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Old September 3rd 07, 11:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jon[_5_]

Thanks Bruce.
I just looked inside system.ini with Notepad.exe. To test changing the file
contents, I just added a space between some lines and tried to save it. I
get the error message,
"Cannot create the c:\windows\system.ini file"
"Make sure the path and filename are correct"
Using properties on the system.ini file shows the blocks "read only" and
"hidden" are both blank, not checked. So, still can't add lines to it.
There's no "Run as administrator" option from properties. I don't have an
option of compatibilty mode on an ini file that I know of. Your response
gave me hope but hasn't solved the problem. However if you can do it in the
Vista "business" version, then the "ultimate" version should do it to.
Jon.

"Bruce Chambers" wrote in message
Jon wrote:
[...]

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand
Russell

Old September 4th 07, 01:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Jon

Jumping in here.

Right click the shortcut to Notepad and select the Run As Administrator
option. This will elevate notepad to admin privileges. Then use File/Open in
Notepad to open the system.ini file and edit it.

The compatibility mode that Bruce mentioned will be in the properties of the
shortcut to the software program that you are setting up.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Old September 4th 07, 03:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jon[_5_]

Thanks Ronnie.
Your directions sounded like they would work, but either I didn't do it
right or something because I got the same error message and still can't
change and save the system.ini.

I clicked on the desktop notepad shortcut and went to properties. Inside
there are tabs of General, Shortcut, Compatibility, etc. Under Shortcut I
saw "advanced" and clicked it. It has two boxes to check. One was "Run as
administrator" It was unchecked so I checked it. Also there, already checked
was "Run in separate memory space". I left it alone as checked (I don't know
what it meant anyway).

Under the top tab of "Compatibility" I found inside "Run this program in
compatibity mode for" It shows "Windows 95". I found I couldn't check it or
change the mode. Near the bottom is "Run this program as an administrator"
It was unchecked, but won't allow me to check it either.
I clicked "Apply" then "OK".

After all that I got the same error message and failure for saving
system.ini after I just added a space between the lines inside it.
I have the feeling I'm getting closer to a amazing solution and being able
to run some important old programs but at the moment am still stymed.
Thanks, Jon.

Old September 4th 07, 09:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Jon

OK, it's likely a permissions/ownership problem.

Right click the System.ini file and select Properties / Advanced Button.
Click the Owner Tab. Click the Edit Button.
In the next dialog, select your account and click Apply/OK and OK again.

In the Properties dialog, click the Security Tab. Click the Edit Button.
Select your account in the top box and in the bottom box, place a check mark
in the Full Control / Allow check box. Apply/OK and exit the properties
dialog.

Try to edit the file again.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Old September 5th 07, 02:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jon[_5_]

Thanks Ronnie, et al.
Before I received this msg, I tried to open the system.ini and change it
with something besides NOTEPAD.EXE. I tried a text editor (PFE32.exe) and
also WORDPAD.EXE. Both allowed changes and both appeared to save the changed
system.ini. So I thought the problem was solved.

But I noticed in the Wordpad File where it shows files recently opened, it
showed 2 system.ini entries, when I clicked, one had been changed correctly
the other was the original system.ini. Huh? Which was the current one? I
then used PFE to look into the system.ini to see if it had been changed. It
apparently had not. I went back and forth with these two different
applications and found there might just be the impossible two different
system.ini files in windows. I went back and forth so many times I got
confused. Anyway, I restarted my computer thinking the file had been changed
correctly. Next, one of my applications complained that a SSIACT.386 file
wasn't loaded by system.ini as I thought. I checked the system.ini file with
both application and one loaded the SSIACT.386, the other didn't. I redid
and all system.ini now had SSIACT.386 to be loaded. After reboot, an
application again complained the SSIACT.386 was not found. Huh? At this
point I'm near a nervous breakdown and wondering if there are not 3
different system.ini files in the windows directory and if so, where are
they and where are they coming from? Also if I get a different version of
the system.ini file depending on which (Notepad, Wordpad, PFE) application
reads it, I have no way of knowing what is really in the system.ini that the
computer actually uses. If I modify Notepad as you suggest, that might just
compound my newly-found problem by adding another reader. I'm seriously
considering abandoning or mothballing Vista for my deteriorating old MS ME
desktop, where at least I can get my old programs to work there without all
the timewasting agony. With Vista, I may have to spend thousands of software
$ to get back to what I had working 6 years ago, and I can now see a year's
agony work in transporting older programs over to Vista. I need to rethink
my computer strategy.
But I do appreciate the excellent help and will try out the suggestions in
time, but I need to away from this problem for my life in the real world of
financial crisis.

Old September 5th 07, 03:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Jon

OK, sorry you are having problems. What you are running into here is a
software program (probably 16-bit) that is incompatible with the new OS.
Vista has deprecated the System.ini file, so it doesn't work the same way
that it did in previous versions of Windows. In addition, Vista has
incorporated a lot of changes in security for certain areas of the file
system structure and the registry such as the Windows, Program Files
folders, the root of the system drive (C and in the registry at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP