In Iraq and need help with new computer

Old September 11th 07, 02:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
In_Iraq

Default In Iraq and need help with new computer

Hello, I'm serving a tour in Iraq and am having trouble with my new computer.
Story goes like this. I purchased a new HP laptop before I deployed in
April. It is running Windows Vista (which is new to me). I am allowed on
morale computers with limited internet access but am not able to connect my
laptop to the morale network. I just bought a new Zune mp3 player and went
to install the software but it tells me that my computer needs to be updated.
I have asked my IT guys if I can put my computer on the network long enough
for it to update itself and they told me no way, no how!!! I've tried to
download updates from Microsoft but when I get onto the download page, it
searches the actual computer I'm on for the updates needed (which doesn't
need the updates) and won't allow me to go any further. Help!!! How can I
get my computer updated to install my new mp3 player? I've went to the Zune
site and downloaded the current software but still doesn't work on my
computer. How can I get my computer updated???
Old September 20th 07, 04:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

Isn't there a setup package on the Zune website? You would not be able to
install from the Zune CD here....

That said, I think your usage scenario has to be:
* Go to morale computer
* Download and install the Zune software there
* Attach the Zune device and get the updated firmware for it
* Copy the Zune software to a CD or USB flash drive so you can then install
it on your personal computer .

--
Speaking for myself only.

Old September 20th 07, 03:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
In_Iraq[_2_]

Thanks for taking time to help with this problem. I have went to the Zune
site and there is a file to download but when I did, it gave me the same
message as the installation CD. It didn't even try to load anything, just
went straight to a message that said my computer needed to be updated to run
this software. I found another user out here in Iraq who also has a Zune but
is running Win XP and his works just fine. I think I'm going to have him
load my playlist onto his Zune and then just link up wirelessly and put the
music on that way, at least until I get back to the states and can get my
computer updated. Thanks again.

Old September 21st 07, 11:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

Right, I was thinking you would install the Zune software on the computer
that *does* have Internet access. That should let you update the Zune
device to have the 1.3 firmware, and then you could use the 1.3 software
package on your other PC. If my theory is correct. Otherwise - your new
plan should work. Good luck and be safe. =)

--
Speaking for myself only.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

Isn't there a setup package on the Zune website? You would not be able
install from the Zune CD here....

That said, I think your usage scenario has to be:
* Go to morale computer
* Download and install the Zune software there
* Attach the Zune device and get the updated firmware for it
* Copy the Zune software to a CD or USB flash drive so you can then
install
it on your personal computer .

--
Speaking for myself only.