Windows cannot find file when clicking on file?

Old May 18th 09, 03:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
hifismith[_4_]

Default Windows cannot find file when clicking on file?

Viper71;4419522 Wrote:
...But do I understand correctly that you solved the .doc issue with
this symantec patch? (that is, not being able to open .doc files from
explorer with spaces in the path?)

I've been living with this problem for at least 6 months and now I'm
starting to doubt that it was ever a problem with Word. I'm almost
certain it was. I am able to open any Word file in any location. Other
files (*.pdf, *.txt, *.html, etc) never had a problem. Still no love
for excel, I assumed the problem was with the Office install.

I did do a repair of Office a couple weeks ago, which took about 30
minutes. It didn't help. Thanks for your help. Is it worth doing a
complete uninstall and reinstall? I don't know how helpful that would
be since some file would remain in place (like my Outlook *.pst files)
and I assume some registry entries.

--
hifismith
hifismith's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/95441.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old June 19th 09, 02:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
presmmbb

Hey all,

The problem is caused by the MS Outlook Business Contact Manager plugin
for word.

Open Registry (start - Run - "regedit") browse to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Word\ Addins and (make sure
to backup the key before deleting) delete the
"BcmHistoryAddin.BcmConnect" folder. (aka "FriendlyName"="Business
Contact Manager for Outlook").

This fixed the problem for me. (Verified by adding the key back to the
reg and the problem came back, deleted again and the problem went
away.)

Good luck!

--
presmmbb
presmmbb's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/107001.htm

Old July 6th 09, 08:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
AnnieBrownTX

I had the same issues. I finally reformatted my hard drive, for the
third time since December 2008.

HOWEVER, I tried this software that promised to fix my issues "Windows
can't find file fix" and it did NOTHING - the error messages were
exactly the same after installing the software, then before installing
the software.

The company PROMISES your money back, if the software doesn't work -
but the company, Security Stronghold, is intent on keeping their fee -
no matter that I am NOT using their software, it is NOT installed on my
computer and I am obvioulsy unhappy with their program and services.

I sent them a message immediately after realizing the software did not
work, and after a week, and my 3rd request for a refund, they responded.
By then, I had installed the "Free" True Sword software, hoping it
might fix my issue, and all it did was screw up my SQL Server. THAT led
me to reformatting my hard drive...

Needless to say, because I didn't get their permission to remove their
software - I am not entitle to a refund.

The point of this story is, stick with Microsoft. They will have a fix
for their issues eventually - you just have to find it. Third party
companies promising to be "experts" in Microsoft errors are sometimes
just scams, like Security Stronghold.

--
AnnieBrownTX
Old September 10th 09, 11:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ashok Mangalore

Hi

Please find the solution for the following defect in office 2007 with
Vista OS. (Either Word/Excel/Outlook)

Issue: Windows cannot find 'C:\file path...\file name.xlsx'. Make sure
you typed the name correctly and then try again.
Cause: Excel files stopped being open when I double-click the file.
Solution:
1. Open Excel
2. Click on Excel Office Button which is at top-left most corner in
Vista/Office 2007
3. Click on Excel Options Button which is at right-down corner in the
popup window
4. Click on Advanced option which is at left selection panel
5. Find the General details which at the right side view
6. Unselect the checkbox (If it is selected) - Ignore other application
that use the Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)
6. Click on close

Hopes it might keeps you smile.

Thanks
Ashok Mangalore.
India.

--
Ashok Mangalore
Ashok Mangalore's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/133962.htm

Old May 14th 10, 05:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
OyBouTJ

Thank you! This exactly fixes my problem. This whole "Windows cannot find
file..." keeps recurring whenever my Windows receives updates, and so I have
had to do this a couple of times.

"cvanp" wrote:

The following article has helped me resolve the issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211494/en-us

"mlsoup" wrote:

I get the error message when double clicing on misc documents within my
folders that says "windows cannot find the specified file, please make sure
that you have typed the name correctly and please try again." I can open up
any document from within the application itself by going to file/open finding
the file and opening it that way.

It is extremely random though. It only happens on some of the files. It
happens on older version files (office 2003) and newer version files created
(2007). I can right mouse click the file and specify open with and open the
file with the program that it needs to run it but this is random as well.

I have reinstalled Vista (brand new) pc for the second time trying to fix
this problem and it will not go away. It is driving me crazy!

I have looked all over the web and these dicussions and nobody has ever a
succesful fix for this problem. I am not alone......

I have also unstalled and reinstalled Office 2007 three times. Also
performed repair function. Activation codes all gone now..... I have tried
everything that I have read in previous threads to no avail.
--
Thank you,
Matt Campbell