Cant Run with 4gb, also cant install KB929777

Old November 25th 07, 12:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Stilldawn

Default Cant Run with 4gb, also cant install KB929777

Hello, I just got a new machine.

I have 4gb of ram (2 dual channel cossair 2gbs).

Whats happen is, my computer wont load up Vista 64bit if I have all 4gb of
ram in. The problem is it works fine with 2gb and Ive downloaded the KB929777
update, but vista wont let me install it with only 2gb Ram (says it doesn
apply to my system) but the thing is I can even get into Vista to install the
update with the whole 4gb installed, it just goes to the blue screen of death
with the dump memory thing then restarts.

I can get into vista in safe mode, which shows all 4gb of ram, but in safe
mode it wont let me run th update either.

Im back to using 2gb again after I tried everything I know.

Any ideas on how to get the update installed and or Vista working properly
with 4gb RAM???

Thanks
Old November 25th 07, 02:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

Maybe your computer is not capable of supporting 4GB of memory.

See the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

Old November 25th 07, 02:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
caretaker

There is also a lot of faulty ram around, swab the ram over and test.
I'm using 64bit with 128GB of ram with no problems.

--
caretaker
Old November 25th 07, 07:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Stilldawn

"caretaker" wrote:

There is also a lot of faulty ram around, swab the ram over and test.
I'm using 64bit with 128GB of ram with no problems.

--
caretaker

No my computer is brand new and fully supports up to 16gb of ram.
Anyother Idea?
Old November 25th 07, 01:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

I notice from the KB article that you have to use a special procedure to
update the actual installation files and then apparently reinstall. Did you
follow this special procedure and was it difficult to locate and use?

Old January 6th 08, 06:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Max

Dude, u have 128GB ram for real,,,,, can your pc fly? WOW, thats GODLY
power...... I want to feel that

Old January 6th 08, 07:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

caretaker,
What applications are you running that require all that run to run better,
is it video editing?

Old January 6th 08, 07:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

I'm using 64bit with 128GB of ram with no problems.

But how much does Performance Monitor show as being used?
Most programs take a fixed amount, and when all programs,
plus the OS have what they need, any more is superfluous.
I've got 4GB Vista 64bit, and only rarely see more than
1GB being used, which indicates 2GB is about right,
for most users.
I only opted for 4GB because it was sealed pack Crucial
going cheap on eBay.
You don't get infinite speed with infinite memory. Speed
increases as you add memory, then it gets processor
and bus speed limited.
Old January 6th 08, 08:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Let me guess, your mobo uses an nVidia chip set and you are putting 4 1GB
dimms in.

Ignore all the guesses about bad ram and such. It's nothing like that.

It isn't the amount of ram, but the configuration. There is a known issue
with the fourth dimm slot and 64-bit operating systems on boards that have a
memory controller that does 32-bit DMA (as do the nVidia chipsets). MS has
a patch for storport.sys to address that but it is not always sufficient.
Memory voltage adjusments sometimes help but are no panacea either.

3x1GB dimms will work fine. 2x2GB dimms would work just as fine. So would
3x2GB. But 4x1GB and 4x2GB won't. It's that fourth d*mn dimm.

It isn't confined to Vista x64. It happened to me with XP Pro x64 as well.
I could use 4 dimms as long as I was using XP x86 or Vista x86. x64 was no
go. Even if I removed ram in order to do the install, as soon as I
installed the fourth dimm and powered up it would blue screen.

I bought a quad channel (8GB) kit of G.Skill PC 6400 ram (NewEgg, $250) for
one of my machines (Vista Ultimate x64). I am running 3x2GB (6GB) because
Vista x64 will not boot the machine with the fourth 2GB stick in the last
dimm slot. So I have a spare dimm in case one of the other three dimms goes
South. Wish I had known ahead of time. I would have gotten a board with an
Intel P35 or P38 chipset. Oh well.

Old January 7th 08, 09:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
caretaker

ato_zee;563599 Wrote:

But how much does Performance Monitor show as being used?
Most programs take a fixed amount, and when all programs,
plus the OS have what they need, any more is superfluous.
I've got 4GB Vista 64bit, and only rarely see more than
1GB being used, which indicates 2GB is about right,
for most users.
I only opted for 4GB because it was sealed pack Crucial
going cheap on eBay.
You don't get infinite speed with infinite memory. Speed
increases as you add memory, then it gets processor
and bus speed limited.

Nothing changes at Idle it still 39% but unless one does movie editing
one may as well just stick to 4 or 8gb of ram.
I'm going to upgrade to a quad, and see what benefits I get out off it.
Just trying to find a new Motherboard that can take the ram and the New
CPU.

--
caretaker