Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

unexpected shutdown to bluescreen

Old February 4th 08, 06:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
withheld

Default unexpected shutdown to bluescreen

My latop started shutting down again today - looks like our tweaks didn't
work. Here's the msg I get:

Problem signatu
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 7f
BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: 00000000
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini013108-03.dmp
C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-141945-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Temp\WER7722.tmp.versio n.txt

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?lin

"Bob" wrote:

Glad to hear it.

"withheld" wrote in message
news
OK, I tried it - it has been working fine all morning. I also added a
laptop
cooling fan -

"Bob" wrote:

Try this:

Go to Advance Power Settings.
Set hard drive to turn off a minute or 2 before sleep.
Set Hybrid and Hibernate modes to "Off"
Under USB settings select "Disable"
Under Multimedia select "Allow ....."

"withheld" wrote in message
mine is doing the same thing. anyone know what's going on? I have
complete
virus protection and i'm behind a firewall so that's not the problem.

"Girlcloud" wrote:

My computer has shutdown three times without warning over the past two
days.
the error message that appears is as follows:

Product
Windows

Problem
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
1/13/2008 2:20 PM

Status
Not Reported

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem
Mini011308-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 9f
BCP1: 00000003
BCP2: 84C380F0
BCP3: 84913630
BCP4: 84E97008
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Any suggestions?

Old February 9th 08, 03:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
KR

Ok, I found the settings. It is already set to shut off before sleep. I
think I'll call Dell tomorrow. Thanks

Old February 9th 08, 05:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
dmex[_65_]

Hello guys most of you have a BCCode: 9f

Bug Check 0x9F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
The DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE bug check has a value of 0x0000009F.
This indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power
state.

Its possible the driver or your system is not correctly detecting the
power states of the device causing it to blue screen when it trys to
suspend or shutdown, recommend a BIOS update from your motherboard maker
and driver update for your system.

withheld you are getting a different BCCode to everyone else
Bug Check 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
The UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP bug check has a value of 0x0000007F.
This indicates that a trap was generated by the Intel CPU and the kernel
failed to catch this trap.

Bug check 0x7F usually occurs after the installation of faulty or
mismatched hardware (especially memory) or in the event that installed
hardware fails.

Try using different hardware untill you find the faulty component.

--
dmex
Old February 9th 08, 10:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
withheld

thanks dmex.

My CPU is AMD is that makes a difference. No memory has been added. This
just started occuring a few weeks ago. I recently tried adding Logitech's
Squeezebox duet remote - allows for streaming music between the pc and the
stereo. But it's a remote/ Would that cause it?

Old February 9th 08, 01:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
dmex[_67_]

withheld

Any device could be causing the 0x7F error code, it means some device
failed.

--
dmex
Old February 21st 08, 05:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Al

I keep getting the 9f blue screen error when the loptop goes on sleep mode or
hibernate. This is a brand new dell and tech support updated the bios for me
as well as many other things and it keeps happening. The replaced the laptop
for a brand new one and I had the same issue. Just today they upgraded the
video card to a 256 nvidia and I still get the error. I already spent over 20
hours with dell tech support and they seem clueless. I'm thinking of
downgrading to XP to see if that is going to resolve it as I don't think
there is an solution from Microsoft for this problem yet.
--
--Al

Old February 21st 08, 08:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
dmex[_68_]

many programs also use drivers, try uninstalling everything including
any programs that came with the computer and check the dell website for
the all the latest drivers for your motherboard then install them
all...see if that helps

--
dmex
Old February 23rd 08, 10:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
nodoctors

This thread has been helpful and I would like to contribute some other
possible solutions.

I am also receiving the BCCode 9f blue screen error associated with
putting Windows to sleep. I am running Vista Home Premium 32bit on a
brand new Dell Inspiron 1420 with 4GB RAM. When I received the laptop I
formatted the drive and did a clean install of Vista and a lot of third
party software and some hardware, as well as 2x2GB RAM purchased from
Crucial (to avoid the Dell price gouging).

I did some further digging and these points may be related:

Dell has a brand new BIOS update that I just installed (A07 released
this month - upgraded from A06). This may be a fix.

It is possible that Vista will actually have problems if you give it
TOO MUCH RAM. Ridiculous, I know. But I Googled around and saw some
potential issues. One problem I had is that Vista had repeatedly failed
to install Windows update KB929777. I found a solution to this:

Go to your Windows Update history, uninstall KB929777 (not intuitive, I
know). Then restart and check for updates. KB929777 should install
successfully the second time.

I just upgraded my BIOS and did the KB929777 fix. I will see if this
prevents future crashes. As anyone with this problem knows, the only
way to test for a fix is to just use your laptop for a few days and
repeatedly put it to sleep and wake it up, and wait for the crash, or
not, hopefully.

I would definitely suggest that anyone who has this problem with a new
laptop work aggressively to determine whether it is a Vista problem or a
hardware problem so that you can act accordingly while under warranty.
That is what I am doing. If these steps don't fix it I will be
reverting to XP SP2 as a next step. If that doesn't fix it then it's
the dreaded phone call to Dell.

Cheers,

E.

--