Notepad saving failing

Old January 15th 08, 01:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jamie[_5_]

Default Notepad saving failing

If I edit the file in notepad and try to save I get this message:
"Cannot create the C:\users\nathan\documents\htmlfilename.html file. Make
sure the path and filename are correct".

See this posting:
http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?...#entry 195995

"Right-click on the Documents file and choose properties.
Select customize
Use this folder as template: All Items
Apply this template to subfolders"

This list a fix for when located in specific area but for myself these files
are not located it the documents folder and this fix does not work.

If you feel this post would be better served elsewhere (security, network
sharing) please let me know.

Old January 15th 08, 01:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
R. C. White

Hi, Jamie.

"Cannot create the C:\users\nathan\documents\htmlfilename.html file.

Just to clarify, are you "nathan"? Do you have permission to access files
that belong to the User "nathan"?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Old January 15th 08, 02:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Malke

Jamie wrote:
Hi, Jamie.

"Cannot create the C:\users\nathan\documents\htmlfilename.html file.

Just to clarify, are you "nathan"? Do you have permission to access files
that belong to the User "nathan"?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

No this was taken from another posting that I linked below.

Basically the user Nathan found out how to fix his problem by modifying the
Documents Folder properties and including all sub folders.

I myself have a folder off of C:\

So for example C:\webpages\web1\xxxx.htm

If I edt this file in Notepad and try to save over it I get the same problem
as Nathan. If I save it to a different location say my desktop and
move/copy the file to this location. It then replaces the file Notepad
couldn't save over.

I have full access to the file location.

This is why giving full information is so important. Are you sure that
you have full access to C:\? You may think you do, but I'm going to
guess that you really do not. The root of the drive is protected in
Vista. It will be much better for you to put your "webpages" directory
into your User directory; i.e., C:\Users\Jamie[your username]\Webpages
[new directory created by you].

If you really don't want to do this, then see this from Michael Bell
(MS). It refers to sharing the drive but I think the permissions issue
is applicable in your situation.

When you share out the root of a drive in Vista, the UI only allows this
through the advanced sharing option. When the advanced sharing option
is used it only sets the share permissions. The actual permissions on a
file share are a combination of Folder and Share permissions. In Vista
the everyone group doesn not have permissions so when you connect
without a password the system you can see the folders but not access
them or possibly connect to the share but fail to open it.

1. Open Computer
2. Right click on the shared drive and select properties from the
context menu
3. Select the Security Tab in the displayed properties sheet.

If you are connecting to the computer with no password then you are
connecting with the guest account. In order to access the files on the
drive, the everyone group needs to have access set here.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Old January 15th 08, 05:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jamie[_2_]

[...]

Malke,
1. I never said I had full access to C:\ I said "I have full access to the
file location." These rights could be set anywhere along the path.
2. I know when I have full rights to something. I have looked at the NTFS
security and I can see it for the folder and the file. Not only that I can
write over the file. I can delete the file.

This is not a sharing issue it is a NTFS rights issue or Notepad issue. I
have verified the rights already. Also if you read the posted link you will
see I'm not the only one having the issue and it wasn't solved via a rights
change.

Old January 15th 08, 07:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Malke

Jamie wrote:

Malke,
1. I never said I had full access to C:\ I said "I have full access to the
file location." These rights could be set anywhere along the path.
2. I know when I have full rights to something. I have looked at the NTFS
security and I can see it for the folder and the file. Not only that I can
write over the file. I can delete the file.

This is not a sharing issue it is a NTFS rights issue or Notepad issue. I
have verified the rights already. Also if you read the posted link you will
see I'm not the only one having the issue and it wasn't solved via a rights
change.

OK, sorry - I was just trying to help. Sorry I wasn't able to. Good luck.

Malke
Old January 23rd 08, 12:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jamie[_2_]

Malke,
I'm also sorry I was a bit frustrated at the time. I'm an MCSE (not Vista)
and I'm just really hitting my head trying to find out what is going on
here. So again thanks for trying. There have been some major changes in
Vista (why I got vista to learn them) and it is frustrating to not come up
with an answer.

Old January 25th 08, 11:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jamie[_5_]

I have finally figured out what the problem was. I was using explorer to
open the file with Notepad. When doing this Vista Explorer contains a
viewer of the file on the right hand side. Basically when trying to save
the file it can't because explorer has it open and locked.

Click off of the file in explorer and all of a sudden you can save.