Threads in Forum : Installation and Setup of Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
STOP: 0x0000008E installing on Dell D800 laptop by A. Horshack
While attempting to install one of the most recent builds of Vista on my Dell D800 laptop, a STOP: 0x0000008E error occurs as soon as the expanding files portion has completed. This laptop was running WinXP prior w/o issue, prior to attempting to install Vista (primary partition was formatted). Any ideas? Thanks!
November 11th 06 06:25 PM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
2 136
To prevent message opening until required in Windows Mail (vista) by A.B.Woodworm
My Windows Mail is set up to open the first message automatically on opening the programme.I do not want this to happen because of risk of virus content. How can I change the settings?Vita Home Premium
January 15th 08 12:54 PM
by DanR Go to last post
2 130
how do i set up bluetooth on my dell laptop by a.chet_69
i have a dell inspiron 1420, it is bluetooth capable and i am wondering how i would go about setting up the bluetooth on it thanks
January 11th 08 06:21 PM
by Juansieira Go to last post
1 116
what does Windows Defender really protects and scans for? by A.H.
What does Windows Defender really protects and scans for? Does Windows Defender protects against all the known virus, spyware & adware? That means I no longer need Norton or MacAfee or Micro Trend Antivirus?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 17th 09 01:17 AM
by Bill Yanaire Go to last post
41 556
Making Vista x64 SP1 boot by EFI? by a.k.a.
The following question is probably overload for newsgroup chatting, but some introductory guidance would be GREATLY appreciated, especially toward the very scant MS documentation. I've come across plenty of MS tech lit talking *about* EFI's role in BCD, but nothing so far that has a detailed walkthrough on formatting Vista's drive with EFI and GPT. Does Vista SP1 actually provide a way to...
December 11th 07 05:32 PM
by a.k.a. Go to last post
1 118
How to sort out builds? (Installed OS v ISO v WPR log reported) by a.k.a.[_2_]
Hello, I'm running into a bunch of issues around my Vista installation (and reinstallation options). I'm not currently asking for a fix, but let me give you the background in case you're interested. What I do need help with right now is one facet of the poblem -- and my questions are at the bottom. The first problem is that no reinstallation of WU components has been able to add updates as...
December 15th 08 11:36 PM
by a.k.a.[_2_] Go to last post
2 263
Help with Vista x64 SP1 RC registry: CurrentControlSet vanished! by a.k.a.[_2_]
Hello everyone, I installed a multiboot of Server 2008 RC2 (with hypervisor), Vista x64 SP1 RC (debugged version from TechNet) and Vista x86. Server and x86 have been very stable. x64 startup grew corrupt almost immediately. I've had persistent Autochk runs -- and hangs. The odd thing about the hang is that the screen freezes after Autochk completes, but I can hear the Vista desktop startup...
January 1st 08 05:58 PM
by a.k.a.[_2_] Go to last post
0 125
XP OEM to Vista Retail Upgrade EULA question by A.L.B
I'm planning on upgrading from XP Home edition OEM to the Vista Retail upgrade edition. With the OEM edition I bought when I built my computer I know I was responsible for my own tech support, but if I upgrade with the retail version upgrade for home premium do I get the same tech support features as if I buy the full retail version? Or is it considered an OEM and thus be not supported...
January 31st 07 02:54 AM
by Carey Frisch [MVP] Go to last post
1 148
Vista Ultimate OEM by A.M
Hello, I was wondering if someone could clarify how OEM works which comes with new PC's. Say later for example if say your hard drive dies can you install the OEM which you have on disk to a new hard drive? Just I have heard that you may need to ring up Microsoft explaining what has happened? I'm just wondering because all new PC's generally come with an OEM
February 19th 07 12:19 PM
by Frankster Go to last post
1 260
Vista Ultimate OEM by A.M
Thanks for your reply, So what happens in the scenario where say 2 years down the line where your not covered anymore by a PC manufacturers warrenty and say for example your hard drive or motherboard decides to die. I think in this kind of scenario you would be better off not to have bothered with extended warranty on the PC as it would be cheaper to replace the component. But it seems you...
February 19th 07 10:32 AM
by A.M Go to last post
0 221
Transfer settings & files from windows.old to Vista by a1trainer
I was hoping to set up a dual boot with Vista but was not allowed to create a new partition to house it, so I installed it on my main drive. I get an error if I try to boot into XP. I can't get the WET to transfer my settings/files from windows.old to Vista. What can I safely drag/drop into Vista, or should I just uninstall Vista, do the WET for XP, and then reinstall Vista?
April 3rd 07 05:12 PM
by Byron Ricks [MSFT] Go to last post
2 137
the windows installer service couldnt be accessed by a7medo778
hello i am having a Super problem i wish some 1 can help me with when i try to install any program or app or game or probably any thing i get the following error installer service couldnt be accessed i took a pic of the problem that i hope that can help you here : http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=00e4jkzgemd#thumb=4 or here :...
July 10th 07 07:34 AM
by a7medo778 Go to last post
3 166
Vista: System Locale by A://P20k
Problem: Hi, when i change. My system locale in control panel from english to korean & have the laungauge bar floating on my desktop My Computer can reconize korean character's + english, wich is what i want. But When i do this. most applications + online Games, Dont work However when i change my "SYSTEM LOCALE" Back to english, these Applications +
February 25th 08 11:38 AM
by A://P20k Go to last post
0 156
System Locale.. by A://P20k
im searching for a vista system locale, my computer dosnt reaconize korean unless i change the locale in control pannel .. although that fixes my problem it also generates another problem of wich, disables my ability to run online games, and 3rd party programs... and idea's thanks... -- C://Cdotrun C://RunDotrun A://RunManRun
January 19th 08 10:31 AM
by A://P20k Go to last post
0 129
System Locale? by A://P20k
i am searching for a System Locale or anything like that to allow my computer to understand korean with Control Pannel Regioin System Locale Korean i Mean this does fix my problem.. Although... it generates another problem.. of wich disables my abilty to run online games and 3rd party programs.. if you have a idea any at all please post here or -- C://Cdotrun...
January 21st 08 01:36 PM
by Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK] Go to last post
3 150
Need Help by A://P20k
My Problem: characters on my computer come up with "???" unless, i change the system locale, to korean, and the korean letters come up normally, BUT when i change the system locale from english to korean... it dosnt allow me to play online games, download some files, use app's I really, need some help here, ive tryed everthing + this is my second post of this problem, within 3 months.. so...
February 23rd 08 08:11 AM
by A://P20k Go to last post
0 160
Uninstall Problem by AA
When I am uninstalling my Kaspersky Antivirus(7.0.1.321). Some of my programs are loading incorrectly.The sidebar is one such application which is loading improperly i.e. the gadgets are not loading properly.I am getting a blank space in place of the gadgets. Similarly in a few other programs I am getting blank spaces.
June 18th 08 05:17 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
3 207
installing w2k alongside Vista by aa
I have a brand new HP computer with Windows Vista pre-installed. I need also w2k on the same mashine. I made a peimary partition using Vista built in Desk Manager. Now I have booted from w2k cd. Now I remembered from my experience with w2k-XP installations on one computer that they both use NTDETECT and NTLOADER files and is w2k is installed after XP, the XP would not boot because NTDETECT and...
July 10th 07 01:55 PM
by John John Go to last post
6 133
Restore a Backup on smaller partition by aaa222
Is it possible to restore my computer on a smaller partition when I used the Vista to create the original backup of my entire computer? I am trying to make room for XP again but the backup is the entire hard disk with vista on it.
May 26th 08 06:03 PM
by Patrick Keenan Go to last post
1 229
Raid 1 Array by aaivazis
So I currently have a Vista Business 64-bit. I also have 2 1tb drives. I have one of the terrabyte drives with vista on it and over 300 gigs of information. I would like to put this drive in a Raid 1 array and do not want to have to reinstall vista and lose all of my stuff. Is there anything I can do to make sure this all gets to the RAID 1 array? -- aaivazis
January 1st 09 03:49 PM
by rive0108[_19_] Go to last post

From The