Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vista 64 is still slower than XP 64 by Spirefm
I've just run Performance Test on the same machine, same AV running but nothing else, with these results. Vista 715.5 XP Pro 64 816.5
November 11th 06 07:21 PM
by Roy Coorne Go to last post
3 144
Vista Restore Doesn't Find Backup Image by Mike G
I performed a complete backup using the Vista backup option to copy everything. I backed up to a USB HDD. When I then try to do a restore I get a dialog stating that there is no backup on this PC. I get the same message if I put the backup on the C drive itself. I am trying to move to a larger HDD and it seems I'll need to use a 3rd party tool instead of Vista. Any suggestions on how to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 12th 06 09:40 PM
by Mike G Go to last post
10 266
Screen saver/power management fail to activate by gutterballk7
After using Vista, I kind of like the new interface, and I like having all my hardware magically working without having to install drivers and dealing with problems courtesy of Dell... however, my one woe is that the screen saver fails to start (set for 5 minutes) and the LCD never turns off (set for 15 minutes on all plans I think). Does anyone know why this would happen? I'm not going to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 13th 06 09:47 AM
by gutterballk7 Go to last post
12 228
Wevtutil by senrabdet
Does anyone have experience with "wevtutil", the utility that dumps event log data? For example, what syntax would dump all windows defender events? I've tried variations on: weventil qe system /rd:true /f:text /q:EventID=2002 The help example "weventil qe Application /c:3 /rd:true /f:text" works fine
November 13th 06 03:11 PM
by senrabdet Go to last post
0 156
Aero Glass gone when I changed to RC2, build 5744 by PaulB
Hi, Read the following post. http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx?query=aero&dg=&cat=&lang=en&cr=US&pt=&catlist=D1CBF0BD-E8EE-4D73-8ECC-15AF7EC6783B&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us -- Paul "Rick" wrote:
November 13th 06 07:02 PM
by Rick Go to last post
6 149
Automatic system recovery by R.Demandt
Does antone know how I can make an Automatic System Recovery (ASR) partition on windows vista RC2?
November 14th 06 08:23 PM
by AJR Go to last post
1 138
Error Code 8024400A by JIm
I have Vista RC1, build 5728. I have not been able to get any updates since I loaded this build. When I attempt to update, I get "Code 8024400A". I contacted Microsoft regarding this matter. Their response is that since this beta software, they do not offer support. Their only response other than no support is to contact these newsgroups for an answer.... So, is it because Micosoft no longer...
November 15th 06 11:25 PM
by Rick Go to last post
1 148
Reduce Physical Memory Use by summaawilum
When I boot up the computer and only open IE 7, my memory usage runs at around 930 MB, and I would like to reduce it. How do I make it so that every little gadget and small program affliated with windows doesn't automatically open when I boot up the computer? Note: I already opened up Defender and reduced the startup programs to a minimum. I am running the 64-bit version with a clean setup...
November 16th 06 05:20 AM
by Gene Fitz Go to last post
3 212
Owned window errantly made a topmost window. by Chris Rehfeldt
I work on a set of applications where there is one main application that is the owner window of the windows for the other applications. Everything works fine initially, however, an interesting bug occurs when: I minimize the main application (which minimizes the owned window application also as expected), close the main application (which closes the owned applications as expected), and...
November 17th 06 02:40 AM
by Ivo Manolov [MS] Go to last post
3 311
pwrTest fail by Pigeon on the roof
Is there any condition we have to meet first to run pwrtest? I install Vista and try to measure the S3 resume performance by pwrtest. But when I executed pwrtest, it fail and show following message. "ERROR: StartTrace failed -- : Access is denied." Does anyone know what is the matter? Shall I enable anything first? Thanks for your help. Paloma Chou
November 17th 06 06:30 PM
by Ricenoodle Go to last post
2 441
Downloading a file, but don't want it to automatically install by DianaH
It would seem that whenever I download an executable ... windows goes ballistic and starts installing the file. I have a file that I've tried to download about 5 times. It goes into automatically install, so the file disappears when that happens. I've never run into this "ever" with other op sys'. How can I stop that behaviour. This must be an option somewhere, right? I'm definitely...
November 19th 06 01:15 AM
by DianaH Go to last post
2 202
XP DPI Scaling - turned it on, can't turn it off by MeriHeart
Hello, I checked the box for "use windows xp style dpi scaling" and now the checkbox is greyed out and I cannot uncheck it. Anyone know how to fix this? I have RC 1, Build 5600. Thanks
November 19th 06 04:36 AM
by MeriHeart Go to last post
1 158
Anti virus by Cowtoon
It doesn't look like this is a common problem. My anti virus program doesn't work with Vista. Vista tells me there's one on their site and I found it (I think) ... RC1 or something like that. I click on it ... and do all they ask, but nothing happens. Any suggestions on what to do to cover myself. I installed Vista 4 days ago .... and am unprotected ... yikes!!! Thanks.
November 19th 06 08:07 AM
by Phil Capron Go to last post
9 156
Problems after installing Office Technical Refresh by Dr. Edison
Hello, After installing the TR, I'm having some issues. For example, any property window is longer and narrower with a font so small, I almost need a magnifying glass to see it. Excel documents are also too narrow, I have to adjust the column width in order to make them usable. This is true even when using a new MS template. The font size in many apps has also shrunk to ant size. Would...
November 19th 06 04:58 PM
by Dr. Edison Go to last post
2 110
Windows at Start by Aloisius
Every time I start Vista RC1, hundreds of windows open (all that I opened in previous sections). How can I avoid that? Aloisius from Italy
November 20th 06 01:54 AM
by Aloisius Go to last post
2 145
Favorite Links are empty in Windows Explorer by Jesse
After a few hours of having Vista RTM installed, I noticed that the Favorite Links area that is shown on the top of the navigation pane in Windows Explorer just says (empty) now. If I click the folder location the shortcuts are still there, but they are missing from the pane itself. I just moved the folder bar all the way to the top now, but I'm curious if anyone else has had the same problem. ...
November 20th 06 05:44 AM
by Donna Buenaventura Go to last post
1 121
Windows Complete PC Restore by Jerry P
In case anyone is curious. I just did a Windows complete PC Restore, without any problems. At the start there was quite a few safety questions to make sure I wanted to format (bah,bah,bah). It worked perfectly. Just thought you might like to know :) Jerry P
November 20th 06 07:17 AM
by Alice Go to last post
6 139
Can user limit amount of system memory video is using? by Brian C. Barnes
I noticed when I installed the WDDM driver for my nVidia GeForce Fx Go 5200 that the system allocates a very large amount of system memory for use as video memory (presumably as needed). I noticed that a few games that I like that can get 55 - 60 fps on XP get only around 7 or 8 FPS using this driver, and get 55 - 60 fps when using an older XP driver with Vista. My suspicion is that the game...
November 20th 06 09:44 AM
by Gypsy Go to last post
2 188
ReadyBoost- minimum by Vipin
Got a quick question, the minimum supported flash size for readyboost is 236 MB, right? Can someone point me to the documentation for that? -- Vipin Aravind http://blogs.explorewindows.com
November 20th 06 09:46 AM
by Byron Hinson Go to last post
2 346
Random Freeze Upon Mouse-Click by nick
Hey everyone, I love this Vista RC1 as its run on my laptop primary partition for the last few weeks. Just recently thought it started to act up. When I click on something (anything, IE/VNC/etc) at random intervals it hangs for around 1-2 minutes. Mouse and keyboard "respond" but the system is in a perpetual state of hanging until all my commands hit at the same time. Some info on the...
November 20th 06 12:04 PM
by nick Go to last post

From The