Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Resource\Font\PFM -- unable to display current owner by Frank Puck
Adobe installer failed because he cannot access this directory. I looked at it with explorer and it tells me, that it cannot display the current owner. I used AccessEnum to display ACL of the entire disk and there are a lot of directories below C:\$recycle.bin for which permissions cannot be listed. Anybody know how this could happen?
January 18th 10 10:27 PM
by Frank Puck Go to last post
0 215
Event Error Question by JamesJ[_4_]
Vista Basic 32bit sp2 I found the following error in Event Viewer 'Administrative Events': The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: TfFsMon TfSysMon The source is:
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 19th 10 07:57 AM
by Hank Arnold Go to last post
14 536
Security Issue? with Windows Audio Endpoint Builder by Nobias[_2_]
*Security Issue? with Windows Audio Endpoint Builder* Hello. I was tracking down why my *svhost.exe* (used for internet & network Connections) was being used to access a whole bunch of Picture files in one of my folders. Files that were not being used by any other program or service at the time (not even the File Manager). It was running...
January 19th 10 01:59 PM
by tmattnv Go to last post
5 374
ERROR Code...Titled: Login process has failed to create the security options dialog by LabRat116[_2_]
Window Titled... *Login process has failed to create the security options dialog *with a RED "X" inside with a dialog message of: *Failure - Security Options* -- LabRat116
January 19th 10 05:47 PM
by LabRat116[_2_] Go to last post
0 277
ERROR Code...Titled: Login process has failed to create the security options dialog by LabRat116[_2_]
Window Titled... *Login process has failed to create the security options dialog *with a RED "X" inside with a dialog message of: *Failure - Security Options* -- LabRat116
January 19th 10 05:47 PM
by LabRat116[_2_] Go to last post
0 246
should I set DEP to always on? by james
DEP (data execution protection) should make the computer immune to all buffer overflow attacks, right? Has anyone set DEP to always on for all processes (vista 32-bit)? Are there alot of crashes or even corrupt files?
January 19th 10 07:30 PM
by james Go to last post
0 215
Personal Administrator Account not acting like Administrator Account by Richard B
Something has happened to my personal Administrator account that makes believe I have lost permissions on a number of areas throughout the Windows system. For example: an attempt to cleanup the registry using certain program is denying my account access to do certain cleaning tasks that need to be completed. I can run program under the Vista Administrator account, but why is my personal...
January 19th 10 10:09 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
6 343
should I set DEP to always on? by james
DEP (data execution protection) should make the computer immune to all buffer overflow attacks, right? Has anyone set DEP to always on for all processes (vista 32-bit)? Are there alot of crashes or even corrupt files?
January 19th 10 10:15 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
2 307
is it possible to share the printer only? by [email protected]
When you turn on file and printer sharing, both file and printer sharing are turned on. Is there a way to turn on printer sharing only? by default, c$ is always shared on windows XP pro, I am not sure about vista/windows 7 home premium. So there is some security risk with file sharing, while there is less risk with printer sharing. The PCs are behind the firewall, however, there is a...
January 19th 10 11:43 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
6 247
DEFENDER turned OFF by WILDTOPIARY
Defender is turned off and notice says that it can only be turned back on via "GROUP POLICY". How do I do this? Information on group policy seems very complicated and I'm hoping there is an easy solution to turning Defender back on. Help!!! I am running Vista -- WILDTOPIARY
January 20th 10 06:56 AM
by WILDTOPIARY Go to last post
0 220
Can not reset admin password under safe mode due to password policy? by john
Hi, all. I'll have to log into the default administrator account, because I can not do anything under the current standard user account status. I went to the safe mode, and tried to log into the admin account, but the password is forgotten. I built the reset password USB disk under the account before. Now I follow the instructions for resetting the password. However, the window popped up,...
January 22nd 10 04:17 AM
by john Go to last post
0 256
Email From Microsoft? by JamesJ[_4_]
I received an email claiming to be from Microsoft Awards Center saying that I won $2m. There IS an attachment which I WILL NOT open. Would it do any good to report this to someone and/or send it to an abuse center?? This email was filtered and placed in my Junk email folder by Windows Live Mail. Thanks, James
January 22nd 10 01:42 PM
by JamesJ[_4_] Go to last post
0 222
Email From Microsoft? by JamesJ[_4_]
I received an email claiming to be from Microsoft Awards Center saying that I won $2m. There IS an attachment which I WILL NOT open. Would it do any good to report this to someone and/or send it to an abuse center?? This email was filtered and placed in my Junk email folder by Windows Live Mail. Thanks, James
January 22nd 10 06:47 PM
by JamesJ[_4_] Go to last post
4 332
DEFENDER turned OFF by WILDTOPIARY
Defender is turned off and notice says that it can only be turned back on via "GROUP POLICY". How do I do this? Information on group policy seems very complicated and I'm hoping there is an easy solution to turning Defender back on. Help!!! I am running Vista -- WILDTOPIARY
January 24th 10 09:13 AM
by richc46 Go to last post
4 355
How can I block other machines from having access to my computer? by SomeOldGuy
I have a new computer from HP that has Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit installed. Mostly, it seems pretty good. It has been quite stable since initial trouble got ironed out (blue-screened severely, fresh out of the box from day one). Here's my current problem... My daughter came to visit over the holidays and brought her laptop with her. When she connected to my wireless network...
January 24th 10 03:57 PM
by SomeOldGuy Go to last post
0 213
How can I block other machines from having access to my computer? by SomeOldGuy
I have a new computer from HP that has Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit installed. Mostly, it seems pretty good. It has been quite stable since initial trouble got ironed out (blue-screened severely, fresh out of the box from day one). Here's my current problem... My daughter came to visit over the holidays and brought her laptop with her. When she connected to my wireless network...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 24th 10 07:09 PM
by MowGreen Go to last post
10 519
Problem with Windows Defender by rppb
I scanned my computer with Windows Defender every day last week and I still get the message you haven't scanned your computer for 9 days.Is there a way to reinstall Windows Defender?It isn't listed in programs and features for Vista.
January 25th 10 09:20 AM
by rppb Go to last post
0 236
Bypassing the login screen by PT[_3_]
This is a Windows 7 question, but I’m hoping the answer is the same as for Vista. I'm the sole user of my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 computer. There is no security problem of misuse by others. By default, the Windows 7 file structure has set up as users: All Users Default
January 25th 10 10:43 PM
by PT[_3_] Go to last post
0 256
My documents opens at start up (after downloading RAR) by psu027
I downloaded a RAR file, and while the file did have the files I wanted it also had an "extra" folder, and when I clicked on it I think it's safe to say it installed something on my computer. I ran Adaware, and Spybot Search and Destroy, and removed what was found, however, at start up "My Documents" still opens every time (sometimes in two windows). Here is the log of HiJack This. Can you guys...
January 26th 10 12:43 AM
by psu027 Go to last post
0 276
My documents opens at start up (after downloading RAR) by psu027
I downloaded a RAR file, and while the file did have the files I wanted it also had an "extra" folder, and when I clicked on it I think it's safe to say it installed something on my computer. I ran Adaware, and Spybot Search and Destroy, and removed what was found, however, at start up "My Documents" still opens every time (sometimes in two windows). Here is the log of HiJack This. Can you guys...
January 26th 10 03:49 AM
by psu027 Go to last post

From The