Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread Reverse Sort Order / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
Defender - Wont turn on in security centre after updating definiti by nick
I have a new version of Vista Home Ultimate installed and windows defender v 1.15.2227.3 created 01/02/2007. The only other software i have on is sophos with remote update and a couple of games. The issue is that the security centre tells me defender is off. When i enter the centre and press "turn on" it says updating definitions - failed to find any new definitions and then it returns to...
April 29th 07 01:10 PM
by Mohit Kapoor Go to last post
5 154
Defender 64 by Rodney L
I have vista 64. Is the version of defender that came with it 64-bit? If not can I up grade to the 64-bit version of defender.
February 21st 07 03:55 AM
by Rodney L Go to last post
0 123
Defender and SP1 by Robin[_2_]
I installed Vista SP1 on 3/21/08 and the last time Windows Defender updated itself was on 3/26/08. Now it gets stuck on "searching for definitions".
April 10th 08 11:56 PM
by Robin[_2_] Go to last post
2 303
Defender and system tray icon by Minxii
Today I switched on Windows Defender (for the first time) and ran a quick scan which was fine, but I've noticed a new icon in the systems tray with a green circle and a tick in it. When I hover the pointer over it, it says "Safely Remove Hardware". I've looked everywhere for an explanation but can't find any info anywhere. Can someone tell me what it means please. Also, do I need Defender on...
June 11th 08 08:01 PM
by Charlie42[_2_] Go to last post
4 204
Defender blocked start up programs by rcf
One program is blocked. I have not been able to locate it in any start up folder, but it still shows up in Software Explorer's "StartUp Programs", with a "Not Yet Classified"Classification. When I try to "Disable" the program from Software Explorer, it grays out the Disable Button. Alternatively I have added the program to Advanced Options "Do not Scan...".
February 13th 08 12:40 PM
by rcf Go to last post
6 283
Defender blocks Software Explorer by Kristi
I'm running Vista Business and whenever I boot up Windows Defender blocks the Software Explorer (explorer.exe) and informs me with a little balloon. I've allowed the program and tried turning Defender off, but I get the message whenever I boot up. I can't imagine why Defender would be blocking a Microsoft application... Any suggestions?
January 18th 08 07:49 PM
by Kristi Go to last post
0 131
Defender database by Sean R
My computer has a digital TV tuner card and the scheduled timer recordings are being interupted by defender because the database still hasnt got the HD-TV software classified. Can we help speed up the process? Defender seems to be doing its job but it is also causing disruption Once classifacation is complete i assume the Always allow option will become available. ----------------
May 4th 07 12:16 PM
by Sean R Go to last post
0 134
defender disables itself by Francis
i have vista home premium with all latest updates installed. after some time, defender disables itself (exclamation mark next to "defender castle icon' appears in task tray, saying defender is not running), after some waiting also the tray icon disappears. None of the users have administrator rights, but still it gets disabled.
February 22nd 08 03:32 PM
by robinb Go to last post
2 277
Defender disabling by AliceZ
I have to install AVG and they mention that Defender should be disabled. I have Vista Premium and when I searched the Internet for instructions on how to turn off the Defender, I am told to go to Defender and click on Tools and then Options and then go to: Administrator options. Deselect the Use Windows Defender box and press the Save button. My Options does not have Administrator Options...
April 24th 09 10:49 PM
by t-4-2[_99_] Go to last post
9 275
Defender download problems by Emer
I recently purchased a new computer w/ Vista already installed. As I started to download programs I use, a message came up - "ieuser.exe - bad image - C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpOav.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or is corupt." After talking to Toshiba, they told me to go back and restore a previous image, which works, but now I'm on my 4th restore image attempt in 1...
August 6th 07 04:52 PM
by Emer Go to last post
0 122
Defender Error 0x800703eb by bilvihur
Since updating to the latest definitions, I've been getting this error. Popup tells me that WD has stopped working, but Security Center says it is working. What's the story? Thanks.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 15th 08 04:38 PM
by Dave M[_8_] Go to last post
12 700
Defender Error 0x8007139f. by cherryan
if this duplicates i apologise but it appeared to crash on my when i tried to pst it defender identified two adware programs backed up by norton to my backup drive. It offered to remove them and tells me it has suceeded. It then identifies that they are still there and gives me the above error message when i ask it to remove them again. any suggestions Andrew
November 25th 08 08:02 PM
by cherryan Go to last post
2 300
Defender Failed 0x800106ba-0x80092003 by graydog7
I turned on my Vista64 PC today to find that Defender has decided to stop working! It pops up a message with error number 0x800106ba. A search of the knowledgebase advises removing Defender and re-installing with Runappwiz.cpl but when I do this "Defender" isn't in the list of installed programs. It isn't in the "Turn Windows features on or off" section either.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
August 11th 09 01:31 AM
by twiede Go to last post
29 778
Defender file empty by Bette Boop
I haven't been able to open attachments or download programs. I found out that a file(?) is empty in the Defender program. Mpoav.dll, I think is the problem. Do I need a Defender media to fix the problem? With help I tried to restore everything from back to when the problem started. Since I am not good with the technical end of this, I hope I am describing the problem properly. Any...
May 21st 08 08:09 PM
by MowGreen [MVP] Go to last post
1 283
Defender gone from Vista by Tony Linguini[_3_]
My granddaughter's laptop got the eco (green) antivirus extortionware, and I manually removed it. It somehow removed the core files from Defender, and now it won't start or run. Suggestions? (besides a format please) Tony
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 2nd 09 12:00 AM
by Michael Ober Go to last post
42 1,413
Defender gone from Vista by Tony Linguini[_3_]
My granddaughter's laptop got the eco (green) antivirus extortionware, and I manually removed it. It somehow removed the core files from Defender, and now it won't start or run. Suggestions? (besides a format please) Tony
November 30th 09 08:37 PM
by Tony Linguini[_3_] Go to last post
0 171
Defender History? by Elmo
My computer scans nightly at 2 a.m. but when I go to the History dropdown there no results given. When I do open Defender, it does always show that a complete scan was done the night before at 2 a.m. Any ideas or suggestions anyone may have to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks N Advance
July 26th 08 09:06 PM
by Milo Go to last post
1 160
Defender Keeps being Turned Off by Endulini
Hi All, Every time I boot up I get an alert telling me that Defender has is not turned on. I turn it on an everything is hunky dory until the next time I boot up and we have to go through the same process again. This is only a recent thing and as far as I can tell the system is clear of viruses and spyware. Can anyone offer me any insight?
January 26th 09 09:21 AM
by Brink Go to last post
4 259
DEFENDER NEEDS A SCAN EVERYDAY by optical
nearly everytime i start my pc i get the defender has not scanned for 11-15 days like today i was working this morning fired it back up tonight and it says defnder has not scanned for 10 days yet it was scanned yesterday quick and full scan as this problem happens every other day HELP
March 9th 08 08:08 PM
by Brink Go to last post
4 287
Defender not running by Richard
I have vista ultimate, also runnning onecare. everytime I start up I get the same error kdb.exe is not working. + if I try to start defender I get application failed to initialize, error 0x80070002, i think htey are related but not sure. any ideas?
January 16th 08 09:20 PM
by robin Go to last post

From The