Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Account locked upon resume by mncharnigo
Account is always locked when I resume. How do I get around this? Just one more step (to unlock at resume screen) that I do not need. Many thanks for answers and input. -- MN Charnigo
June 9th 07 02:08 PM
by mncharnigo Go to last post
2 233
Administrator only to download on C drive by emily
Hi, I'm an editor who uses macros to assist in editing. I have to download the templates/macros directly to my C Drive. I just got this computer(Gateway laptop), and when I tried to download the macro directly to m C Drive, I get the notice that I have to contact the administrator because I don't have permission. However, my account IS administrator, so I see no reason why I am unable to...
June 9th 07 06:28 PM
by emily Go to last post
3 289
Vista won't remember the layout of me 2 screens by Scheinkultur
Hi, on every startup i have to reenter the layout of my 2 screens. That means my 2nd screen is the left one and the other on the right side. In a very small amount of cases vista rembered it right, but in nearly every case windows just starts from the beginning, what means: my screen that is left, is right and the same with the other. Any ideas?
June 10th 07 03:16 PM
by Scheinkultur Go to last post
0 246
setting up an windows email account by Sheen
I am having troubles setting up my windows email account. I signed up for gmail and want to use that account for my windows mail. I'm not sure what to put in the "Incoming mail server" and "Outgoing mail server" boxes. I tried "gmail.com" but that doesn't work. I guess i'm not sure how to set up a windows email account. Please help!
June 10th 07 06:48 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 260
File sharing "any folder" on Vista by Vtnt007
Hello, I am trying to share folders on Windows Vista (Home premium). I am following the instructions in "Windows help and support" titled "Share files from any folder on your computer". When I "Click the arrow to the right of the text box, click the person's name in the list, and then click Add." The name I selected is not added to the list even though it shows up when I click the down arrow...
June 10th 07 07:07 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
2 262
"Run as Admin.." needed for those in Admin group? by Barkingdog
I have Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit) installed on my box and I'm a member of the local Administrator's group. Do I still need need to use "right-click, ... run as admin, etc...." to install software? What would happen if I used my normal "Admin" permissions to do the install? TIA, Barkingdog
June 10th 07 11:59 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
3 264
Home Edition - Logging off by blueRidgeMtns
I think it's funnny in the Vista Home Premium edition, that the two buttons in the Start menu are for Sleep and Lock. I use the Lock feature at work every time I step away from my desk, but at home I use it approximately never ever ever never ever. At home, I want to Log Off when I'm done. I don't need the lock the PC when I step away, I just leave it up. The only way to get to Log Off...
June 11th 07 03:56 AM
by Joshua Go to last post
1 180
Parental Control Password not needed by blueRidgeMtns
I've got a 6 year old kid. I'm not worried about her looking for inappropriate material on the web - she's got a select group of sites that she knows how to get to and use, like pbskids.org - but I thought it would be good to turn on the Web Filter in the Parental Controls in the unlikely event that she got off course. I don't want a password on my administrator account. So every time I...
June 11th 07 04:02 PM
by Tim Go to last post
2 158
Vista Backup - Loss of functionality? by daves
With WindowsXP backup I could choose while directories to backup, and by default it backup My Documents & SETTINGS. This include wall of the Office App data under my account's "Documents and Settings". My backup strategy was keep My Documents under 4GB (the size of a DVD) and Create seperate folders under the root for big blocks of data like photos. There also were kept in 4GB hucks. I...
June 11th 07 04:08 PM
by Tim Go to last post
1 131
File copy from external XP Pro HD to internal Vista Home Premium H by Neagle
I need help with step by step instructions on how to perform a file copy from external XP Pro HD to internal Vista Home Premium HD. After some research this is what I have tried please prompt me on my failu 1 Clicked the Start button. 2. Clicked All Programs. 3. Went into Accessories.
June 11th 07 04:59 PM
by hayami.wai Go to last post
5 156
Vista Annoying Requests for Info by MaryA
Hi, New to Vista but not to Windows. How do I get Vista to stop asking me for permission for everything I ask it to do? "Windows needs your permission to do ... whatever"! I went to "Help" on this one & found a description of what it does, but no info on how to access it to change the defaults.
June 11th 07 09:12 PM
by Peter Go to last post
1 124
"...administrator has set polices..." - can't install USB device! by Chris Thorn
Hi there - thanks for taking the time to help me out. I bought a Trust BT-2100p Bluetooth adapter for my PC the other day as it said it was compatible with Vista (unlike a number of adapters on the market). I downloaded the lastest drivers for Vista off the website instead of using the drivers on the CD. Each time I have tried to install it, the installation hangs on 0% as the Bluetooth...
June 11th 07 09:43 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
7 372
Unknown Account by swasrfa007
I was changing some properties of a folder then I saw a Unknown Account under security permissions. It wasnt there before. "Account Unknown (s-1-5-21-592332418-3359817199-588524365-1001)" Can anyone help me??? explain me wat is it and does it matter? how can I remove this account??
June 11th 07 11:51 PM
by swasrfa007 Go to last post
4 148
Custom Picture Question by Mike McCollister
I have a custom picture for my account that is 256x256 and the in the jpeg format. This is a very sharp photograph but it is not as sharp in the logon screen and the start menu as the built-in Vista ones. Do I need to use a different resolution or bitmap type to get the best picture? If so, what do I need to do? Thanks, Mike
June 12th 07 12:40 AM
by Mike McCollister Go to last post
0 150
Cannot Enter A Password On Logon Screen by Andyroo79
I have recently set a password for my administrator account because some relatives were coming over and i didnt want them to muck around with computer. I then tried logging on and i cannot enter my password. It displays a picture of a chessboard and the word administrator underneath. it then has the word password in smaller letters below and a little to the left. when i move the cursor...
June 12th 07 02:26 AM
by JerryM Go to last post
3 177
Lost Password by CoRrUpTiOn
I have reset my admin password, as well as forgotten what i changed it to is there anyway i can get around this without having to reformat and loosing all the pics of my kids?
June 12th 07 02:51 PM
by Mac Go to last post
1 207
forgotten password by Forgetful
I have forgotten the password I used to protect my word95 document. Any way to open the document without the passwor? Or anyone knows the maximum length or characters of these passwordw so I can narrow the permutation? Doc contents are really vital to me. Thanks.
June 12th 07 04:25 PM
by Mac Go to last post
1 201
I have a problem on my audio by mikador
I have a labtop, and model of that is HP compaq nx6330. I installed windows vista enterprise edition yesterday, but i cant hear any sound. Sound driver is installed, and if i plug earphone, i can hear sound. How can i hear sound on only my labtop's internal speaker??
June 12th 07 04:29 PM
by Mac Go to last post
2 239
Briefcase problem. by Edge30
Hello, I'm posting this in this forum cause maybe it is related to user accounts/rights. I use briefcases to keep my files updated among my home and work PCs. At home I use Vista but at work I use XP. I created my briefcase in XP and put it in a USB HDD. When I open my briefcase to work in any PC with XP it works perfect. But if I want to work on my briefcase in a PC running vista, it takes a...
June 12th 07 07:14 PM
by Edge30 Go to last post
0 164
Vista + Lost all profile settings by Scott
I just spent a good portion of the day migrating (moved - ouch) my data from my XP machine to a new Vista desktop. After returning from lunch the monitor wouldn't come out of low-power mode. I performed a reset, using the power button, and everything is now GONE!!! The bad thing (as alluded above) is that I moved the data from the old workstation, so it's now GONE. Help!! Why does Vista boot...
June 12th 07 11:40 PM
by Scott Go to last post

From The