Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Clock Sync by Dr. Klienmahn
In XP there was an option to sync your clock to that of a web server's. Does anybody know where that option is in Vista?
June 24th 07 11:21 PM
by brink Go to last post
2 151
Possible user profile corruption question by BESLO
I'm running Vista Ultimate and am encountering a strange problem. On my normal account, when I copy large files or try to install large appps (that are not Microsoft products - don't have the issue with e.g. MS-Office- ), my system seems to be loosing connection to my local harddrives. In a command prompt box I can see that the error is said to be "account disabled". The software I try...
June 25th 07 12:52 PM
by BESLO Go to last post
0 125
User Profile Picture by malckelly
I'm looking at creating a script that automatically sets the users profile picture depending on their username. Does anybody know where the profile picture is determined? ie Registry, XML Flat File, etc? I am assuming that the script will have to make a registry change to a variable pointing it to a new image file? Thanks for any help
June 25th 07 01:36 PM
by malckelly Go to last post
0 124
Locking down file permissions by MitchW
Hello, I need to lock down a Vista system so that user data is only stored in either c:\users (their profile directory) or c:\temp. I don't want users creating folders in c:\ or in some other location. I am concerned about removing Authenticated Users from C:\, as I am not sure what it may break. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated? thanks,
June 25th 07 03:09 PM
by P. Di Stolfo Go to last post
1 146
How to make a bootable hard disk? by Panos
I tried "format c: /s" to make an external hard disk bootable,but the command "/s" doesn't seem to exsist any more in Vista.Is there any way I can achieve it?
June 25th 07 04:17 PM
by cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) Go to last post
4 183
Domain Controllers by John
Hi, Can Vista Home Premium be setup as a Domain? All I can see is the Workgroup option. Thanks
June 25th 07 05:12 PM
by Justin Brown - SYNACS Go to last post
2 170
owner names everywhere by Puzzled
how can you update all the past owners names to yours without reinstalling everything.? good deal but no docs or software.
June 25th 07 05:36 PM
by Justin Brown - SYNACS Go to last post
3 124
Guest User Management by David
How do I password a guest user and how do I delete, not just turn off, the guest users when no longer required? -- d.
June 26th 07 12:03 PM
by P. Di Stolfo Go to last post
1 196
Few questions about account settings on Vista x64 by TMA
1) How can I make my account settings created on vista x64 setup to be the default settings for new users (including Administrator and Guests)? 2) How can I login with Admistrator account on Vista x64? 3) Is there a way to export my settings to this Administrator account?
June 26th 07 03:28 PM
by UnswoleLilDude Go to last post
1 176
conime process is locking files and directories by Francois PIETTE
Sometimes I have files and directories locked (unable to delete, rename, or unable to unmount removable media) by a process named "conime". It happend I sometimes have several such processes running. Killing the process using task manager unlock the files and directories. Is there a configurable parameter somewhere to cancel this annoying behaviour ? --
June 26th 07 04:39 PM
by Francois PIETTE Go to last post
0 163
Disable the wireless card by Or Tsemah
Hi, Is there a way to determine, with the new wirless GPO settings in vista client, to disable the wireless card when i Wired LAN is connected automatically ? Thanks. Or.
June 26th 07 05:04 PM
by Or Tsemah Go to last post
0 144
Vista block batch files from being unzipped by Francois PIETTE
When unzipping a batch file using WinZip 11, I get an error "Windows has blocked the file TestBak.bat from being extracted". How do I change Vista setup so that batch files are allowed to be be extracted ? Best regards, -- Francois PIETTE http://www.overbyte.be
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 26th 07 05:10 PM
by Francois PIETTE Go to last post
12 277
Interactive Logon for hidden accounts by CS
Under XP Pro I would create an admin account and then using TweakUI or regedit I would hide this account so it didn't appear on the Welcome Screen. If I ever wanted to log on to do administrative tasks I would press Ctrl + Alt + Del twice on the Welcome screen and log on using my username and password. I've done the same under Vista except pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del twice on the Welcome...
June 26th 07 09:01 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 145
Trouble Disabling User Account Control by John B
When I go to Start, all programs, accessories, clicked run, typed secpol.msc in the open text box and i got this box denying the access and and it reads that Windows cann't find 'secpol.msn' the Admin/local users isn't set up in our office so I should have access to diable my UAC correct. Please tell me how to do this -- John B
June 26th 07 09:28 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
3 144
security enabled wireless networks by CrossMax
not able to access security enabled wireless networks even with the security password or pharse. In Vista Explorer when trying to connect to a network it lists the network but in the listing description it says,"the settings on this computer do not match the network settings on this network". How do I enable access to the network? I can connect wirlessly to un-secure networks no problem.
June 27th 07 06:36 AM
by Christopher Norris Go to last post
1 145
Windows vista activation by dahishe
Hi guys, I purchases Compaq laptop with Windows vista has had an error in explorer.exe, i run system restore and all is well. However, the restore point I choose wa a day before I activated my Windows software. Now the system gave a warning that my software requres activation. Am shocked. Do I need to contact the microsoft again for activation? I hope someone can give an advice over...
June 27th 07 12:38 PM
by kcmh709 Go to last post
5 131
How do I configure auto log on for XP? by Matt
Hi, I am posting this in the Vista forums cause I couldn't find an XP forum. I have a machine on our local small business network that I am trying to set up as a dedicated print machine for CD labels. I set up an account on our domain that has minimal read only access to the shared section of our server. I want this print machine to automatically log in as this account so that various...
June 27th 07 06:42 PM
by Matt Go to last post
1 154
User Profile Service Failed Logon by Raventhorn
For a few days I have been getting problems with my profile for my account failing to load. Last night it happened and the machine crashed hard and I rebooted. Since then I cannot login to my account. It is the second of two admin accounts (my wife has the second). I am using hers now. How can I repair MY profile account so it will login? I don't want to have to create a new account if I do...
June 27th 07 06:56 PM
by RobRyanUK Go to last post
8 150
Turn off bluetooth by Nitish
i have a presario v2000 notebook, with wifi n bluetooth inbuilt. i want to know how to turn on or off bluetooth ONLY using vista, since the wifi button turns on or off BOTH wifi and bluetooth. thanks. Nitish/
June 27th 07 07:10 PM
by Nitish Go to last post
0 151
COM Surrogate by Nitish
Each time i enter a folder, wherein some video contents reside, i get the message COM surrogate has stopped working i think the problem might be with the video previewer function. is there any solution for the same ? or any means to bypass it ? making the folder display the files it contains in the 'details mode' will sure but bypass the problem anyway ... but i do wanna keep some folders...
June 27th 07 10:43 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post

From The