Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Delete content or tracking in "searches" folder by Bob
I am running Vista Home Premium (SP1) on my box. I discovered the "Searches" folder. It seems to be tracking me. I posted about this before 05-05-08. Bender's kind suggestion did not seem to help. Keith Miller (MVP) gave an explanation of the "Searches" folder. I still do not understand it or how it works. I just wish it were not there. It just seems creepy to me this folder tracking...
May 22nd 08 04:45 AM
by Keith Miller \(MVP\) Go to last post
2 360
Removing Files by No Name[_2_]
Hello, Can somebody please tell me how to remove some unwanted jpg from my hard dirve? They reside at ; c:\Users\Whoever\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\news.usenethost.com (3)\alt.binaries.Whatever My probelm is that I can't find the AppData, or any of the subsequent files. In any case, the option to delete these files after I've done a search for
May 22nd 08 06:25 AM
by Gordon Go to last post
4 212
File save requester filename annoyance by Jimbo
I hate the way file names are handled in the save requester in Vista. Example: Using Autodesk Inventor, I have a file I would like to save with the same nomenclature as another file in a particular directory (let's call it a the library). Files saved in the library are difficult to edit by virtue of how the Inventor project is set up so I want to save the file somewhere else. I click on...
May 22nd 08 03:29 PM
by Jimbo Go to last post
0 207
folder associations by liquidstool
hello i'm using vista 64bit. Some of my file associations seem to have disappeared and i am being told to reset them in the control panel - that bit is easy enough but i'm having trouble setting them for actual folders, i can't open the folder just by clicking on it, i have to right click and then select open. i have spent hours trying to find a way to set the association for the folder...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 22nd 08 06:06 PM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
21 684
Files don't show over network by David Deley[_2_]
From one Vista (SP1) to another Vista (SP1). I have some files on the remote computer under Public\..., but they don't all show up. I go to the remote computer, they're all there. I go back to my local Vista computer and look over the network to my remote Vista computer, it says the directory is empty. But I know the directory is NOT empty. Why can't I see my files? I check file attributes,...
May 22nd 08 06:50 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
1 201
test by ron
test test test please answer -- ron lanzilotta
May 23rd 08 07:38 AM
by Gordon Go to last post
2 316
Expand folders on single-click by Carl Ahlqvist
Hi, Is there a way to configure the Vista Explorer (i.e. file explorer) so that when I single-click a folder in the navigation pane (left-most folder tree) it automatically expands one level down? This is the normal behaviour in Win XP but not in Vista. As it is configured now I have to click the little triangle to the left of the folder in order for the folder to expand.
May 23rd 08 12:49 PM
by HappyAndyK[_3_] Go to last post
1 165
Lost my "Notes" sidebar by sr
I had imp. info on my "notes" sidebar.I lost the notes- When I go to the side bar - it allows me to only open a new note - i do not find the old one.Anyone knows how to retrieve /find that file - those bunch of notes.thanks
May 23rd 08 12:52 PM
by HappyAndyK[_3_] Go to last post
1 188
Can't find "Windows Clipboard" by jbssrmd
Hi,I'm using Windows XP and I need to find text that I was told would be saved to my "windows clipboard" but I don't know when to find "windows clipboard".Please help!Thank-you!
May 23rd 08 12:57 PM
by HappyAndyK[_3_] Go to last post
3 296
Can't delete rogue folder in Start Menu by Phypps
Installed COD4. The folder name in start menu was very long so I truncated it (obviously not enough!) Wasn't happy with the way the install went so uninstalled to try again. Could not delete start menu folder. System restore didn't get rid of it (which surprised me) When trying to delete I get a message saying that the folder is no longer in Start Menu/Programs and to find where it really...
May 23rd 08 02:49 PM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
2 161
Documents folder hidden in public folders, but cannot unhide by colin.robbins
Hello, I have what appears to be an odd issue, and I can't find reference to it on the web anywhere. Under the Public folder on my Vista machine, I can see the folders Public Downloads, Public Music etc. BUT Public Documents is missing. If I use the cmd shell, I get the same effect: Directory of C:\Users\Public 11/05/2008 16:54 DIR . 11/05/2008 16:54 DIR ..
May 23rd 08 05:24 PM
by Keith Miller \(MVP\) Go to last post
8 460
Password-protect files by lumbele[_3_]
Hi, got a few files/folders I'd like to password-protect. How would I go about that in Office Word 2003? -- lumbele ------------------------------------------------------------------------ lumbele's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=49792 View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=973996
May 23rd 08 07:12 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
3 188
How do i reinstall my backup files to my computer from the backup by perk22
How do i reinstall my backup files to my computer from the backup disks? -- mv4health.com
May 23rd 08 07:16 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
2 208
Windows Media Center as defauls for all files by Yulia
I wonder if anybody help me - SOS. My son accidently clicked something and now all my files (including Internet Explorer) open only in Windows Media Center mode, I can do anything! How can I change it?? Appreciate any help on that!!!!
May 24th 08 07:34 PM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
1 180
Deleting History? by N3
When i right click to delete something in history it won't delete. Only way to delete history is to delete it all.
May 24th 08 08:47 PM
by N3 Go to last post
0 170
problem w/downloading files from internet site by mcm2500
I have vista home basic and until recently I was able to download a file by clicking on the link and the box came up asking what I wanted to do with the file etc. Now if I click on a link, Windows media player comes up! I have to right click and select save target as. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Thanks for any help MC
May 24th 08 10:12 PM
by mcm2500 Go to last post
0 143
Explorer System menu no longer usable... by Pierre Arnaud
Suppose I open "C:\foo\bar"; the Explorer window displays the contents of the "bar" folder. I want to get to the properties of folder "bar". Under XP, I could right-click on the icon in the window title bar and choose "Properties". Voilą, done. The icon has disappeared under Vista, but if you right- click there, you still get the system menu, but a crippled one with just...
May 25th 08 07:35 AM
by Pierre Arnaud Go to last post
4 179
Setting up a LAN by Doug[_13_]
I just recently subscribed to Broadband and have 3 towers connected to the internet and working great. I was wondering how I can communicate between them locally without losing my firewall integrity from internet protection. Thanks in advance for any help and if there is a better place to post this type of message, please direct me to it. Thanks. Doug
May 25th 08 01:02 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
3 260
"FILE OR FOLDER DOES NOT EXIST" by PeeTree
I have seen several different people with this problem, so I am not the only one. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate, and everything was working fine, until one day I went to reorganize my music, and when I tried creating a new folder, it wouldn't let me rename it. "File or folder does not exist" pops up. This is quite frustrating, I have tried everyone's suggestions. They all fail. If...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 25th 08 06:50 PM
by Brink Go to last post
22 502
Deleting files by Steven[_5_]
Hi, Previously when using windows explorer I could press the "ctrl" key along with my mouse to highlight selected files to be deleted, I can longer do so. Also, I was previously able to use my "shift" key to tag a colum of files to delete, I can no longer do so. My only option at present is to delete one file at a time, This is tiresome when I would have many to delete. Does anyone know...
May 25th 08 07:05 PM
by Brink Go to last post

From The