Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
.NET Framework 3.0 Configuration by Raji Arulambalam
Hi Is there a Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Configuration tool in VISTA? I want to see and manage the assemblies and code groups etc. I've installed the SDK TIA
February 1st 07 06:48 PM
by Tom Porterfield Go to last post
3 149
Offline files by bwatson67
Is there a way to store and sync your files to a different location say a extra hard drive
February 1st 07 11:13 PM
by Jill Zoeller [MSFT] Go to last post
1 169
Cant delete files after Vista reinstallation by its vista
Hi, During the reinstallation with the Vista CD,it said that it was saving the files from the then current OS on my hdd,with no option to do otherwise.And now i cant delete it from D:\. How do I turn off that security security feature that is stoppping those files being deleted??
February 2nd 07 07:01 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 164
Trying to move files: Access Denied! by TripleThreat
Ok I made a mistake. Before I bought Vista I had setup a partition for 10GB for a windows os (I was using Win 2000 before Vista). So I’m redoing my system and I want to install SQL Server 2005 on to a different drive. In order for me to do that it still has to copy 1.6 GB of temp files to my C: drive! So I’m trying to move some files off of my C Drive on to my data drive temporarily. My Problem...
February 2nd 07 12:48 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
2 189
Deleation files by bob b
I installed an older version of acrobat reader (5.0) which turned out to not be compatible with Vista. I ran the un-install application but it could not remove some folders under C:\Program Files\Adobe. When I try to delete them I get a no permission message. How can I successfully rid my machine of them? Thanks in advance. Bob.
February 2nd 07 04:00 PM
by bob b Go to last post
0 141
Controlling System Restore Behavior with respect to file location by jimmuh
Hi, I know that you can turn System Restore on / off on any given drive. What I'd like to know is whether or not specific locations on specific drives can be turned off so that the Shadow Copy feature stops keeping Previous Versions for those locations. The Previous Versions feature is a nice one. A lot of people apparently thought that such a feature was implicit in the Windows XP version...
February 2nd 07 06:47 PM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
7 188
Default Folder Views by CJM
IIRC, I have this same problem in XP, so it may be a problem in my approach... I like to have different views applied for different folder structures, and both XP and Vista cater for this in theory. I can specify that a folder (and all sub-folders) contains documents, music, pictures etc... and thus a view appropriate to that file type should be applied. However, in many cases it gets a bit...
February 2nd 07 07:02 PM
by Keith Miller MVP Go to last post
1 179
New folder templates? by Retsep
Hi, In windows explorer...if I right-click on a folder and goto properties and then customize there is a list of several presets to choose from (music, video, documents, etc) to display which attribute columns display. Is there a way to edit these, or even better create new templates? Thanks.
February 2nd 07 07:15 PM
by Keith Miller MVP Go to last post
1 179
Status Bar by S Murder
How do I get the status bar to show the amount of space used in the current directory?
February 3rd 07 04:29 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
3 178
Double-click Explore by WadeBart
How do I change the default behavior of the double-click option on My Computer from Open to Explore. In Windows XP in was under Tools, Folder Options, File Types, n/a Folder. Highlight Explore and set as default.
February 3rd 07 05:26 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
1 163
Backup Files error by Hans Munich
Hi, allways when I try to backup my files on a Harddisk I become the error Message: An Error occoured by processing a shadow copy (0x8004260F) Has someone any idea what's wrong? Thnkx for your help.
February 3rd 07 11:21 AM
by Hans Munich Go to last post
0 168
Thanks by Eugene
Thanks to all the MVP and otheer folks that help out people on Vista. Eugene
February 3rd 07 07:00 PM
by Eugene Go to last post
0 240
Turning off breadcrumb navigation by Bpgordon
Is there any way to use real file paths by default intead of using breadcrumbs? Thanks
February 3rd 07 07:52 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
2 164
no drop down menu in Windows Explorer-has favouorites instead,up arrow,etc by its vista
Hello, I used to have the problem of : having the entire list of my favourites in the drop down list in either the web address bar in IE (XP) or in windows explorer also in XP. Am wondering how to fix it in VISTA?? And there is no up arrow in windows explorer or my computer,to navigate to the folder above in the folder hierarchy.WHERE is it???!
February 3rd 07 10:51 PM
by its vista Go to last post
2 171
Preview/Reading Pane Problem by Seamus
My Preview/Reading pane in Windows Explorer is broken all of a sudden. I'm not certain, but I think this coincided with my uninstallation of Office 2007 Beta and installation of Office 2007 Home & Student Trial edition last night. Now, when I click on any file that the preview/reading pane supports, it just shows a completely blank screen. No matter how long I wait, it just shows a blank...
February 4th 07 01:59 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
3 200
How To Add Notepad To Send To Menu by Leo
How can I add Notepad to the right click 'Send To' menu? -- Leo When I was young and adventurous, I wanted to join a violent, armed group with no regard for the law, but the IRS wasn't hiring.
February 4th 07 02:00 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
3 188
*Critical* Do you have PerfectDisk8 Installed? by Ronnie Vernon MVP
Greg Hayes from Raxco Software has posted the following information. Raxco has discovered and reported to Microsoft a bug in volsnap.sys that can (if conditions are right) cause corruption and loss of the partition. Raxco has just released PD8 Build 50 (SP4). With Build 50, Raxco has coded around this issue with volsnap.sys. If anybody is running PD8 on Vista, please be sure to update...
February 4th 07 12:51 PM
by Jason Go to last post
2 209
Folder views in Vista -- weird stuff by rasqual
There's been plenty of reason to gainsay how Windows Explorer presents things to the user in Vista. But how is it that Windows can see its own System32 folder as a picture album? Isn't that just a wee bit insane? And why on earth do I have to click so many times to turn on or off file preview? Giix
February 4th 07 04:57 PM
by Nathanial Woolls Go to last post
3 306
Remapping user profiles or "My Documents" by Jonas
In the event that I want to format my OS, reinstall it or upgrade it, i will have to backup my documents folder and all the nonsense inside it. To fix that problem, ive just created a partition on my hard drive called "Documents" and another called "Pictures". That way files i actually want to keep, are not located and taking up space on the operating system drive. My question is: Is there...
February 5th 07 02:11 AM
by Ray Rogers Go to last post
3 184
Change Picture Folder Problem by Scottie Dog
When changing the picture folder from the default C:\Users\xxxx\Pictures I accidentally set the pictures folder to E: I have tried changing the My Pictures registry setting at the following location but no affect HLCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders How can I restore / Fix this?
February 5th 07 02:51 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post

From The