Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Minidump problems by Jinx
I'm running Vista H-Premium and it's been for 3 months that everything were great till yesterday.. the first Blue Screen restart with (Minidump) !!! Now I don't know why it says that phisical memory bla bla .. the point is that it happens when I'm runing several aplications !! my PC is running PIV 3.4 HT with 2048 RAM !!! Please do help.. Thanx in advance.. Jinx
April 18th 07 11:00 AM
by Jinx Go to last post
0 124
Sorting by date in recorded tv folder by Jon
I can not get explorer to sort the recorded tv folder by date. I have tried all the views and nothing works. In xp explore the detailed view sorted by the date modified for all folders. If I try this in vista it sorts first by the tv program name then the date field. Thanks Jon
April 18th 07 02:54 PM
by Jon Go to last post
0 119
desktop icons by Mac3438
My desktop underwent a change today. I lost several icons, and the remaining ones "doubled" (2 of everything) and they appear to be the icons that were originally loaded (the computer is less that 2 weeks old). When I delete one icon, its "twin" is still there, but inoperable. When I try to create a shortcut on the desktop, I get the message: :"Windows could not place the shortcut on the...
April 18th 07 04:27 PM
by Keith Miller MVP Go to last post
2 133
no SATA drivers = slow copying? by ggarbonzo
I, too, experience the terrible file copying performance (zip files are ridiculously slow, and HD to HD operations are still any only 5-13 MB/sec)... In Device Manager, it would appear that I have no SATA devices, even though my drive is a SATA 3.0 Gb/s. My drive is being detected as a mere IDE -- could this device mis-ID be the root of slow copying??
April 19th 07 01:44 AM
by ggarbonzo Go to last post
5 138
disabling non-indexed searching in instant search by Alex Lee
Dear all: does anyone know how to disable non-indexed searching during search in vista. for example if I type "tree" all my documents would appear immediately -- however windows then attempts to search for file names with reference to "tree" -- files which have not been indexed and is extremely slow. is there a way to disable this? thanks.
April 19th 07 02:11 AM
by Alex Lee Go to last post
6 183
My most used programs resetting constantly by Adam21011989
I recently bought a new laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium installed on it. From the very start of using Vista, my start menu has not functioned correctly. It works fine, and all of my favourite most used programs save on the start menu as they should (I do have the option checked in the start menu properties) - Untill I then restart my laptop. Once I do, Windows Vista just 'forgets' all...
April 19th 07 02:35 AM
by dean-dean Go to last post
4 139
no thumbs.db... slow vista thumbnail read... by ed
In a folder with thumbnail images, why is that folder read and re-read each time the folder is opened? There are large amounts of lost time waiting for images to appear... In the 'old' system, thumbs.db was a wonderful thing and very fast...
April 19th 07 06:58 AM
by Frank Go to last post
1 128
Size of explorer window by Scott9816
Vista Ultimate explorer window is too small for me. I have to resize it larger each time I explore a folder. How do I get it to open in the larger size with the fields as wide as when I last closed it? Folder options does not affect this.
April 19th 07 08:58 PM
by R. C. White, MVP Go to last post
1 122
Low on Disk Space by barbara
I keep getting the "Low on Disk Space" message. I looked through the threads and found "many" posts with the same problem. I tried all the suggestions (hibernate, disk space for restore, etc.) but, still get the message. Since there are so many of us with this problem, could there be a more global "fix" from MS? I checked the files used on my D drive for backup and it only takes up 7.67GB...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 19th 07 09:22 PM
by barbara Go to last post
17 349
driving me absolutely crazy by muzz
First, I try to find a file that I know is on the computer (fsx.cfg) and it will not find it no matter what I change in the search field. Second, I found by accident the folder it is in but when I try to access the folder it tells me 'denied' even tho I change the access rules to all users. Whoever wrote this piece of **** ought to be fired.
April 19th 07 10:42 PM
by Ilia Sacson [MS] Go to last post
1 177
XP/Vista Folder Delete/Rename Conflicts by 82 'Clone
I'm running two PCs, one with Win XP Pro and one with Vista. Both connect to my department's LAN. When I delete or rename a folder on a network drive, using Win XP Windows Explorer, the procedure appears to work correctly according to XP. When I view the same network drive using Vista's Windows Explorer, deleted folders reappear and renamed folders appear under both their original and new...
April 20th 07 04:30 AM
by ejm Go to last post
2 216
Files copied from previous XP PC won't open by BobDD
I copied all my filess from previous PC to a DVD and then copied from that to my new PC w/Vista. My Excel files get the following error: "This file is not in a recognizable format." If I click for it to go ahead, it will "open" the file with proper header but no date (same for Word files). None of my old pictures will open in Photo Editor, or Paint, or IrfanView. I get the following error:
April 20th 07 12:46 PM
by Julian Go to last post
1 137
help restoring partitions by Wally
i tried to install vista on my old desktop machine today, and it seems although my partitions are messed up. any ideas how I can cover these partitions back? -- cOS cossmo @at gmail . com
April 20th 07 01:36 PM
by R. C. White, MVP Go to last post
3 130
Rescue Document Recovery by seagull
Can anyone tell me how to restore a word document i was working on that suddenly disappeared and became a rescue document of gobbledy gook!
April 20th 07 04:54 PM
by R. C. White, MVP Go to last post
1 122
Recent Program Lists by Lucas
I have had trouble getting the office 2007 shortcuts under the recent program lists to work. I click them and nothing happens... any suggestions or ideas?!?
April 20th 07 08:30 PM
by B.O.B. Go to last post
1 156
how to open a cmd prompt? by Amanda
A while back on this forum I found out how to delete some troublesome files by using a command prompt. The large files were making explorer hang, and use 100% CPU. The forum told me to find the folder and right click on it, and choose open command prompt from the context menu. Then I could use DOS style commands. That worked beautifully for my purpose, but today when I tried it again, the...
April 20th 07 08:52 PM
by R. C. White, MVP Go to last post
5 203
Requesting MS Response MS re Briefcase issues & = 1 (documented) by Julian
Hi, A number of functionality and usability issues have been raised in the forums concerning Vista's version of briefcase. In the absence of specific explanations, resolutions or satisfactory workarounds from non-MS participants, an MS response would be greatly appreciated. Issue Summary:
April 21st 07 11:32 AM
by MarkF Go to last post
1 102
Rename a folder by bob
When I try to rename a folder, it says this folder does not exist. This is a folder that I started as a "NEW FOLDER" and then try to rename it. Thank you for you help in advanced. Bob
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 21st 07 12:28 PM
by bob Go to last post
12 302
Indexing - oddities persist/increase (Dave Wood...?) by Julian
Hope you're listening Dave... Started a new thread as the previous Indexing Questions thread got long... Do let me know what you make of this if you can, Thanks Julian
April 21st 07 12:58 PM
by Julian Go to last post
6 135
Unable to Access 'Send To' directory by James Colbert
I tried to add some shortcuts to 'Send To', but am denied to access the folder. This also seems to be an issue with some other user folders as well, i.e. 'Application Data' & Local Settings. Is there some method or workaround that will allow me access to these folders? Thanks, James
April 21st 07 04:20 PM
by platnum Go to last post

From The