Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
MS Office Save As issue by George W. Barrowcliff
I have a new laptop with Vista Basic. I installed MS Office 2003. When I select SaveAs when saving a file, clicking on the browse button causes the program to go somewhere for about 30 seconds and then come back with the new directory active. This may also happen with other products but I have not had the computer long enough to see which programs might exhibit this behavior.
November 18th 07 12:05 AM
by George W. Barrowcliff Go to last post
0 158
Selecting File Extensions by russ
Does anyone know how to select a filename including an extension in Vista? I'm sure there must be an option to change the way it no longer selects the file extension. I'm happy to change registry settings etc to get the old functionality back. Every time i try to copy and paste a filename or change a file to a .bat or ..htm this new feature trips me up. TIA
November 18th 07 10:02 AM
by brink[_1922_] Go to last post
1 175
Attempt to set BCD to correct partition by General Mailbox
Greetings. I have a new HP laptop with OEM Vista Home Premium. I would like to run two sets of the OS on the same HDD. One to use in daily activities and the other to dabble in. It's easier to do this than to hope to recover from a messed up system. I used a partitioning program (Parted Magic) to resize the C partition. Then I used the copy partition feature to the unallocated space, now known as...
November 18th 07 10:21 AM
by Michael Chare Go to last post
3 180
Problems transferring pics from camera card to computer by tlowe
I am having difficulity transferring pictures from my digital camera to my computer. I never had this problem with XP and it would transfer rather quickly. With Vista however, it takes hours! What is going on? I have an HP computer btw. -- tlowe ------------------------------------------------------------------------ tlowe's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=35370
November 18th 07 11:47 PM
by tlowe Go to last post
0 218
Moving Personal Folders: Not Intuitive and With Serious Traps by René G-L
I have several problems with the feature Properties/Location/Move... I have a new ACER Aspire 9410Z laptop running on Vista Home Premium. It was shipped with two partitions on the hard disk: ACER (C:) where everything is installed and ACERDATA (D:), almost empty. I want to use drive C:\ for software and drive D:\ for personal files and folders. 1. minor Problem (but needs fixing in the...
November 19th 07 07:14 AM
by kelly Go to last post
2 171
Startup folder doesn't do it. by Grammarcheck
I want my Google gadgetbar to start up when I restart my computer. I also want internet explorer to start automatically. I read the Help, and made a shortcut for each and put it in the Startup folder. Well I restarted a few times and all it shows is the desktop. What am I doing wrong?
November 19th 07 07:26 AM
by brink[_1934_] Go to last post
2 210
save to dropdown list wrong by Steve
Hi I have just upgraded to VISTA and woo not sure it was a good move. Can anybody tell me what going on with the save to drop down box. When I go to save somthing to a computer location on my hard drive Im now presented with a list of web pages.? Can sombody help to lift the fog so I can see clear why this is so. Thanks Steve - from a land down under ( Australia ) or a land on top depends...
November 19th 07 12:23 PM
by Wandering[_2_] Go to last post
6 177
Indexing network drives with VISTA by coolb4all
Hello, I've added the add-on to vista enabling the indexation of network drives or unc paths. I'm on a Novell Network. I cannot index my mapped drives. The unc path or network mapping is displayed fine in the index option, but when I rebuild I immediately get "completed" 0 files. Is this correct? Novell not supported...???
November 19th 07 12:47 PM
by coolb4all Go to last post
0 224
display document creation date by Norman[_3_]
suddenly, my document folder in Word,has changed appearance and no longer displays the date of document creation. It is imperative that I be able to do so. Is there anyway to retrieve the old format or at least be able to display the date? Thanks for any assistance Norman Kabak
November 19th 07 08:33 PM
by Wandering[_2_] Go to last post
1 547
Is this Robocopy or Vista causing the problem? by Nick Payne
I find paths such as the following listed repeatedly in the Robocopy log when I backup my users folder (robocopy is running as administrator). Eventually Robocopy completely fills the destination disk, which is three times the size of the source disk and was completely empty at the start of the copy: "c:\Users\nick\Local Settings\Application Data\Application Data\Application...
November 20th 07 01:16 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
5 238
Unable to delete 2 files from Desktip by gloriouslace
I have 2 files that just will not delete from my desktop. they both say they are open in another program even when there is nothing else running at all. One is a screensaver file and one is the itunes setup file. They just will not move I cant wipe them nor delete them. I have put them both in search and they do not show up anywhere else except on the desktop. Can some one please help I am...
November 20th 07 01:02 PM
by gloriouslace Go to last post
2 172
Recycle Bin - Deleted Items by Monarchmel
I am unable to empty my deleted Items file. I get a message to say there is an error! Am using the select all and then Delete with no success
November 20th 07 01:41 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
1 148
Windows Vista Home Premium- File Folders do not refresh the conten by Michael_Guthrie
If I create a new folder in a folder it does not appear immediately. I have to right click and select refresh in order to see the new folder. At this point I must right click the folder and select rename to complete the once simple task in xp. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening. I do have the UAC completely turned off. I also have turned off the Areo desktop service. I...
November 20th 07 02:44 PM
by Michael_Guthrie Go to last post
0 165
Program not in Start Menu by Healwsteel
Vista on config below. Have installed Halo 2 and Hellgate:London onto the same partition with Vista booted up. Can't see either program in Start Menu but do see under add/remove. Don't see useful option under Default ProgramsSet Program Access and Defaults. Logged in as admin. Any ideas? -- 32 bit Vista Home Premium dual boot with XP Pro. Intel Core Duo 2.13 GHZ, 2 GB RAM, EVGA 8800 GTS 640...
November 20th 07 03:40 PM
by Jabez Gan [MVP] Go to last post
1 170
Search in Vista by Mahesh
I tried to serach for filenames within certain date range, but I got back the same filename several time, modified at different times. I am looking for the file name once modified the last time. Any suggestion?
November 20th 07 06:00 PM
by Mahesh Go to last post
0 145
Windows mail Back-up by Alan Calderon
How do I back up my Email folders to an external hard drive? Where are they?
November 20th 07 07:22 PM
by Wandering[_2_] Go to last post
3 192
Why are all my folders and files suddenly Read Only? by No Name
Working in Vista Business. Never happened before. Is there some fix? Thanks in advance. Russel
November 20th 07 08:48 PM
by brink[_1964_] Go to last post
4 602
Command output to file by André Landreau
Hi to all, Using Windows Vista Ultimate, I tried the following "cmd /? /A c:\temp\outfile.txt" it didn't work at all. Is there a way to get a consol command output to a file (i.e. text file) ? Thanks for help André Landreau
November 20th 07 09:54 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
3 196
Hidden Vista Tips, Tricks, Tools and More ! by Russel Pitt
These Hidden tools will help you get maximum performance,Tweak Security Settings in XP and Vista, What's Inside Vista: The Best of Vista's New Tools,Using USB keys to improve Vista performance , Networking Vista, and many more at... http://vista-tricks-tips.blogspot.com/
November 21st 07 01:03 PM
by mikeyhsd[_2_] Go to last post
2 183
Mistake by manolo71
Hello everybody, can someboy helpe me please? I have deleted the trash folder by mistake from my desktop and I want to know if can rtrieve it since I want to delete the files from this folder permenently -- Best Regards, Manolo 71
November 21st 07 03:46 PM
by manolo71 Go to last post

From The