Still Cannot Add Network Printer - Access Denied

Old October 21st 06, 06:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Default Still Cannot Add Network Printer - Access Denied

Did you increase the server IRP setting on the HOME machine?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Jordan H." wrote in message
OK, I'm wondering if anyone at MS is really listening to these forums or
bug reports. I submitted a bug report on this problem over a week ago
and
still nothing. Nobody seems to have any concrete solutions on the forums
either. all the stuff that's been said has been for XP PRO. We aren't
even
talking about that OS. we're talking about XP HOME. you can't adjust
permission can't change F&PS settings nothing. What are we supposed to
do?
UPgrade everything to pro? I'm sorry but I can't justify the price just
get the printer to work. Why won't anyone listen?

"Jordan H." wrote:

BigK,

You'll be happy to know that i've gone ahead and submitted a bug rport on
this whole mess. After all it really doesn't sound like anyone from MS
is
reading these forums at all so... Anyway, I will report back as soon as
hear anything. Best of luck and let me know if you figure this out.
I'll
Even send you the cash for a drink on me!!

Regards,
Jordan

"BigK" wrote:

"Rev" wrote in message
Big K,

I can't say if this will help, but might be worth looking at.

I was missing access to network drives. Wouldn't let me log on, show
directories, etc.

I researched on Knowledgebase and came up with stuff on the
IRPStackSize
setting
in the Registry. That setting has to do with providing memory for
shares,
etc.

I added and entry, increased it from what was standard and things
started
working.

Since the printer also involves shares I wonder if there could be a
connection.

Thanks for the tip. I doubt that's the issue since I CAN access files
and
folders on the Home machine. But since it might be, where do I find
this in
the reg and what do I change and what do I change it to?

Old October 21st 06, 07:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Kerry Brown

I posted to another similar thread in the
microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing newsgroup. I tried to
duplicate your problem and couldn't. I used an IBM 4019 laser hooked up to
the LPT1 port on a XP Home SP2 computer. I was able to share the printer
then connect to it from a computer running Vista Ultimate RC2 no problem.
Both computers were using the default network settings. I right clicked on
the printer in XP and picked share this printer. When asked I didn't run the
network wizard and picked just share the printer. In Vista I picked add a
new network printer. It didn't find the printer initially so I picked browse
then typed in the unc path to the printer. e.g. \\XPHomePC\IBM4019L Vista
then found the printer and was able to print to it. I didn't have to change
any security settings on either computer.

If you are using a USB printer then it is quite common to have problems
sharing it particularly if the computers are running different OS's. You may
also be running into a problem with printers that don't have native Vista
drivers trying to install drivers from the XP Home computer. Have you tried
sharing a printer that has native Vista drivers?

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Jordan H. wrote:
OK, I'm wondering if anyone at MS is really listening to these
forums or bug reports. I submitted a bug report on this problem
over a week ago and still nothing. Nobody seems to have any concrete
solutions on the forums either. all the stuff that's been said has
been for XP PRO. We aren't even talking about that OS. we're
talking about XP HOME. you can't adjust permission can't change F&PS
settings nothing. What are we supposed to do? UPgrade everything to
pro? I'm sorry but I can't justify the price just to get the printer

"Jordan H." wrote:

BigK,

You'll be happy to know that i've gone ahead and submitted a bug
rport on this whole mess. After all it really doesn't sound like
anyone from MS is reading these forums at all so... Anyway, I will
report back as soon as I hear anything. Best of luck and let me

Old October 21st 06, 08:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Jordan H.

Problem is there aren't any vista drivers for a Lexmark X1185 AIO. Also I
tried the IRPStack size solution and it didn't work either. I'm at a loss
here. i'm just wondering if it would be easier to hang the printer off the
Vista machine and share it that way. Problem is i don't think the scanner
drivers will work.

Old October 21st 06, 08:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Jordan H.

Question number 2:
What's the post entitled Kerry? I searched the whole newsgroup. I must be
blind or something.

Old October 21st 06, 09:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Kerry Brown

Can't Access Printer- Access Denied.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Jordan H. wrote:
OK, I'm wondering if anyone at MS is really listening to these
forums or bug reports. I submitted a bug report on this problem
over a week ago and still nothing. Nobody seems to have any
concrete solutions on the forums either. all the stuff that's been
said has been for XP PRO. We aren't even talking about that OS.
we're talking about XP HOME. you can't adjust permission can't
change F&PS settings nothing. What are we supposed to do? UPgrade
everything to pro? I'm sorry but I can't justify the price just to

Old October 21st 06, 09:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Kerry Brown

With some "all in ones" the scanner will work with the built in Scanners and
Camera control in the Control Panel.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Old October 24th 06, 09:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Jordan H.

Ok, here's where we stand now. I found this amazing little program called
simply "File Security" and installed it on the XP MAchine. I then located
the Printer Share through said program, (it actually turns out it's a folder
under system32, spool\drivers,) and set the permissions on that folder so the
"Everyone" acct had "Full Control." and as they say in french VOILA!!! Vista
stopped giving me the access denied error andactually copied the drivers
Directly from the XP Machine with no problem.

Now, a new problem has occured!!! I can see the printer, I can even see the
printer properties through Vista But the Vista Machine won't even print a
test page. The document goes to the local printer q. but it just sits there
and never prints on the shared printer. Here's where it gets weird, I open
up the print que on the XP machine and there is no document there. I try to
right click on the printer on Vista and cancel all documents and I get that
wonderful error Access Denied again!!! It's almost as if the Vista sees the
printer but doesn't "see" it. Vista seems to connect just fine but there's
no actuall connection there for sharing files. I'm wondering if it's because
Vista possibly uses different ports for F&PS than XP and the firewall on XP
is blocking that particular connection. ARRRGH!!! What a mess!!!

Old November 9th 06, 05:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Chantal

Hello, just wondering whether you have access to the printers now. I just did
it today, in spite of the mixed suggestions I was given before. I just shared
my printers on my own PC first, then went to the other PC and it found them
automatically. I just had to click ok for both of them to be added onto the
new pc.

Chantal

Old November 16th 06, 03:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
sadsac

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! I found this thread
after a google search, and based on the information here I've finally
been able to resolve this issue after many many months of running Vista
with no network print capability.

I had the same problem as everyone else;

A XP Home PC has a printer attached that all other computers running XP
or linux are able to access. While Vista PCs that attempt to connect to
this printer get the 'access denied' error, even though file sharing
otherwise works.

So I did what is suggested in this thread. I added the printer driver
on the Vista PC, using control panel/printers/add printer/local
printer. Vista had the driver for the printer in its table of
selectable printer drivers. I chose LPT1 as the local port even though
the PC in question doesn't even have LPT1 active in the BIOS.

Now, after installing the driver, you DON'T just go back to the 'add
printer wizard' and try to add a network printer again - you'll get the
same 'access denied' error.

What you do is select (right click) the newly installed printer, choose
properties, ports, add port. Then manually add a new Local Port with:

\\computer_name\shared_printer_name

as the port name. In my case, the port name for the printer on my XP
Home PC is \\danscomputer\hpdeskje

Make sure you select this newly created port as the active port for the
printer.

Then I printed some pages, and it worked!

Thanks again to all the contributors to this thread!

--
sadsac
sadsac's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=19235

http://www.techarena.in

Old November 24th 06, 05:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
builder1

I tried everything posted earlier. I wish I would have read the last
post first. It worked first shot after trying everything posted
earlier. I have been on every Vista help forum and it seems like a
great many people were having the same problem but with no solution, I
tried everything! Thanks again. Using Ultimate bld. 5744 BTW.

--
builder1
builder1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=19528