How do I print on USB printer on another computer?

Old June 1st 08, 01:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

Default How do I print on USB printer on another computer?

I have done this often on XP to XP. Now I want to do it on a two
machine setup using VISTA on one machine and XP on the other.

I have a EPSON R320 printer installed and working fine on the XP
machine. It was connected to that machine's USB.

I moved the USB connector to the VISTA machine and installed the
printer drivers etc on that machine. It printed fine.

On both machines printer sharing is activated, using share name R320.

I moved the USB connection back to the XP machine, I can't figure out
how to 'add printer' on the VISTA machine to enable printing on the
R320 from the VISTA machine to the R320 via the XP machine.

Yes, I have read and tried to apply the helps. No success.

Help?

-GECKO

Old June 1st 08, 02:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
solon fox

On Jun 1, 9:56*am, gecko wrote:
I have done this often on XP to XP. *Now I want to do it on a two
machine setup using VISTA on one machine and XP on the other.

I have a EPSON R320 printer installed and working fine on the XP
machine. *It was connected to that machine's USB.

I moved the USB connector to the VISTA machine and installed the
printer drivers etc on that machine. *It printed fine.

On both machines printer sharing is activated, using share name R320.

I moved the USB connection back to the XP machine, *I can't figure out
how to 'add printer' on the VISTA machine to enable printing on the
R320 from the VISTA machine to the R320 via the XP machine.

Yes, I have read and tried to apply the helps. *No success.

Help?

-GECKO

There are a couple of different ways to reach the printer on the XP
machine. You could do Start and key in the UNC to the XP machine, e.g.
\\XPname or use the IP address e.g. \\192.168.1.100 and then browse to
the printer, right click it and add the printer.

It really isn't that different from when both machines were XP. Maybe
the Vista machine and the XP machine have different workgroups?
Anyways, the above method should work by IP address even if the
workgroups are different. You might be prompted to authenticate to the
XP machine with an ID and password on the XP - I use the Administrator
ID to authenticate.

Good luck,
-solon fox
Old June 1st 08, 03:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Cameron Snyder

"gecko" wrote in message
I have done this often on XP to XP. Now I want to do it on a two
machine setup using VISTA on one machine and XP on the other.

I have a EPSON R320 printer installed and working fine on the XP
machine. It was connected to that machine's USB.

I moved the USB connector to the VISTA machine and installed the
printer drivers etc on that machine. It printed fine.

On both machines printer sharing is activated, using share name R320.

I moved the USB connection back to the XP machine, I can't figure out
how to 'add printer' on the VISTA machine to enable printing on the
R320 from the VISTA machine to the R320 via the XP machine.

Yes, I have read and tried to apply the helps. No success.

Help?

-GECKO

From control panel click printers. Then choose the 'add printer' wizard.
Select network printer. It should then be listed there if your xp machine is
on and connected to the network, and has the printer properly shared.

Old June 1st 08, 04:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 07:12:18 -0700 (PDT), solon fox
wrote:

There are a couple of different ways to reach the printer on the XP
machine. You could do Start and key in the UNC to the XP machine, e.g.
\\XPname or use the IP address e.g. \\192.168.1.100 and then browse to
the printer, right click it and add the printer.

It really isn't that different from when both machines were XP. Maybe
the Vista machine and the XP machine have different workgroups?
Anyways, the above method should work by IP address even if the
workgroups are different. You might be prompted to authenticate to the
XP machine with an ID and password on the XP - I use the Administrator
ID to authenticate.

Good luck,
-solon fox

Thanks for response.

The two machines are in same workgroup - namely MSHOME.
VISTA machine is 192.168.0.100
XP machine is 192.168.0.101
File and Printer sharing are invoked on both machines AFIK.
I have dual boot implemented on the VISTA machine with XP on a second
boot drive there, I can print fine on the XP machine's R320 from the
XP drive on the VISTA machine, thereby assuring that I am connected
okay. I can print from the VISTA drive fine on the R320 printer when
it is connected directly to the VISTA machine's USB port. That is
because I had installed the R320 drivers etc on the VISTA hard drive.

When I use VISTA's 'add printer' to create a link from VISTA to the XP
machine's R320, I am instructed to add either a local or network
printer. I chose network and it finds XP machine's R320 printer
(\\XPMachine\R320), but it won't do it, telling me I have to install
the R320 drivers on the VISTA drive first, which I already have done.
I tried installing the drivers again anyway, but it then tells me that
it cannot find the printer because the 'printer monitor is unknown'.

And so, I am stopped cold here. Can U advise something?

-GECKO
Old June 1st 08, 04:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 08:26:34 -0700, "Cameron Snyder"
wrote:

From control panel click printers. Then choose the 'add printer' wizard.
Select network printer. It should then be listed there if your xp machine is
on and connected to the network, and has the printer properly shared.

See my last post. That is exactly what I did do. The search found
the R320 printer fine, but said I needed to install the R320 drivers
on the Vista machine. But I had already done that! I tried an
install anyway, but then it said it could not connect to the printer
because it was an 'unknown print monitor'.
So that is where I am stuck.

Thanks

-GECKO
Old June 1st 08, 06:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
solon fox

wrote:

[...]

-GECKO- Hide quoted text -

Here's what we know -
There is no problem finding the printer or the XP machine.
The drivers are current and found on both machines.

The communication is getting garbled when attempting to start the R320
properties residing on the XP machine when accessing from the Vista
machine. We know this because of the "printer monitor is unknown"
message.

Try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870666 Although, the
instructions are old, I think it applies to your trouble. Just follow
the instructions for the workaround.

I hope this helps.
-solon fox
Old June 1st 08, 08:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 11:27:34 -0700 (PDT), solon fox
wrote:

Here's what we know -
There is no problem finding the printer or the XP machine.
The drivers are current and found on both machines.

The communication is getting garbled when attempting to start the R320
properties residing on the XP machine when accessing from the Vista
machine. We know this because of the "printer monitor is unknown"
message.

Try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870666 Although, the
instructions are old, I think it applies to your trouble. Just follow
the instructions for the workaround.

I hope this helps.
-solon fox

\

Well - I went to the web site and it says to modify the printer's .inf
file. Now if I only knew what that full name and where it is. I am
looking, but as yet no luck.

Thanks

-GECKO
Old June 1st 08, 08:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

wrote:

Here's what we know -
There is no problem finding the printer or the XP machine.
The drivers are current and found on both machines.

The communication is getting garbled when attempting to start the R320
properties residing on the XP machine when accessing from the Vista
machine. We know this because of the "printer monitor is unknown"
message.

Try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870666 Although, the
instructions are old, I think it applies to your trouble. Just follow
the instructions for the workaround.

I hope this helps.
-solon fox

I just noticed that the printer name in the VISTA installation of R320
drivers has an (M) at the end of it. Specifically 'Epson Stylus Photo
R320 (M)'. That is not true on the XP machine. I wonder what that
means and if it is significant?

-GECKO
Old June 1st 08, 08:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mick Murphy

In vista, go to Network and sharing.
Click on Add Network Device
Browse until you find XP's Printer; don't just add a Vista printer!
The wizard will either add your Driver or find one!
As long as you have your Network set up properly, it should work.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"gecko" wrote:

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 08:26:34 -0700, "Cameron Snyder"

From control panel click printers. Then choose the 'add printer' wizard.

Old June 1st 08, 09:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Cameron Snyder

I have a Stylus Photo R300 connected to my Vista machine shared and
accessible from an XP laptop. It works. To try to duplicate your error I
connected the printer USB cable to my laptop, had to get the CD to install
the printer. Did so. Shared it. Connected to it from the Vista machine as we
have discussed, the window said I had to install drivers as you said. I
clicked the install drivers button. It used drivers already on the machine
with no intervention from me. Next the print test page window popped up. I
printed the test page. All is well and no error. I am unable to duplicate
your error.

BTW the (M) is present on my Vista machine printer title also.

"gecko" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 08:26:34 -0700, "Cameron Snyder"

From control panel click printers. Then choose the 'add printer' wizard.