Acronis TrueImage vs Norton Ghost

Old June 5th 08, 07:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Lou

Default Acronis TrueImage vs Norton Ghost

This note it intended to assist those who wish to use either of the subject
programs in the same fashion I do. I have extensive experience with Acronis
version 10, initial release and build 9042 and version 11 build 8035. Also
experienced with Norton Ghost version 10 and version 12. Both products are
good.

I choose not to use the Acronis products because executing scheduled backup
tasks with validation for 4 systems would take about 9 hours and 20 minutes
using Acronis TrueImage whereas the same tasks using Norton Ghost would take
about 2 hours and 40 minutes.

I back up four systems to an external drive on a regular basis. Each backup
is a full image of a system. Each backup is validated. Each system backs
up to a different directory on an external drive. I keep 6 backups for each
system. All backups are scheduled overnight on the same night. The drive
is attached locally to a Vista system and 3 XP systems back up to it's
directory via a LAN. The back up time for the 4 systems are about 10
minutes, 20 minutes, 20 minutes and 30 minutes. Validating the backups take
roughly the same time as does the backup. These times are about the same
for all the products.

The time difference (9 hrs 20 min vs 2 hrs 40 min) is due to what I consider
a flaw in the scheduled validation process of the Acronis products. When
executing a scheduled backup with validation, the Acronis products validate
every backup on the backup location. The first backup of 10 minutes and 6
validations of 10 minutes each takes about 1 hr 10 min. The second backup
of 20 minutes and 6 validations takes about 2 hrs and 20 min. The same time
needed for the third backup. The 4th backup of 30 min and 6 validations
takes about 3 hrs 30 min. A total of about 9 hrs 20 mins.

The Norton Ghost products validate only the most recently created backup.
The time for each backup with validation is 20 min, 40 min, 40 min, 60 min
for a total of 2 hrs 40 min.

I will not get into any debate about my mental state, propensity to lie or
the veracity of what I have said. What I have stated are facts that can be
verified by any TrueImage user or sending an inquiry to the Acronis support
team. They have been very responsive and very competent in dealing my
inquiries in the past.

Again, the sole purpose of this email it to give information to those who
may be planning to use a similar backup strateby as mine.

Lou

Old June 5th 08, 07:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
John Barnett MVP[_3_]

Lou, while you have outlined your backup scenario extremely well most users
would 'not' have 4 systems to backup in one go. I personally much prefer
Acronis over Norton Ghost and while, like all software, there may be issues
it certainly hasn't made me change my mind on what backup application I
should use. I've tried Norton, Casper, Acronis, Paragon and one or two
others, but always come back to Acronis.

I agree with your sentiments on 'timing'. Obviously someone who has 4
machines to image doesn't have this amount of time to 'waste'. However, I
don't think a 'single' PC user should be put off using what, to all intent
and purpose, is an excellent backup application.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

Old June 5th 08, 08:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
the wharf rat

In article ,
John Barnett MVP wrote:

I agree with your sentiments on 'timing'. Obviously someone who has 4
machines to image doesn't have this amount of time to 'waste'. However, I
don't think a 'single' PC user should be put off using what, to all intent
and purpose, is an excellent backup application.

I agree with John. Acronis makes a product specifically designed
for the original poster's situation, and it's less than a hundred bucks.
If you try to use home workstation software in workgroup contexts it's not
likely to be efficient.

Old June 5th 08, 08:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
David Webb

You stated that. "Each system backs up to a different directory on an external
drive. I keep 6 backups for each system."

It sounds like you are commingling each system's backup into one directory. This
may be why you see the results that you do. If so, try using a separate
directory for each backup.

Old June 5th 08, 09:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
C.B.[_5_]

Not necessarily. Norton's security software applications are bloated,
problem causing resource hogs. However, these programs have nothing to do
with imaging software. I've never used Norton Ghost but I'll try it when my
Acronis True Image subscription expires. I've had problems with Acronis not
doing what it is configured to do and Acronis support can't seem to fix the
problem. I haven't seen any threads complaining to any extent about Norton
Ghost and I haven't read any bad reviews.
Norton/Symantec's Norton security products seem to have many problems
whereas Norton/Symantec's Symantec corporate security products seem to be
trouble free for the most part. At least that's my understanding based upon
what I have read.

C.B.

It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

Old June 5th 08, 09:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Big_Al

"Lou" wrote in message
[...]

Our office has had norton anti-virus corporate for years. And has
caused zero problems. I too find it odd that the corporate version is
so good but the home version causes so much chatter and complaint.
Old June 6th 08, 05:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Lou

I would not call Acronis TrueImage an excellent backup application. It is a
good application as it allows one to backup and recover systems or files
reasonably quick and reliably. That is the ultimate test of a backup
system. But validating a backup file multiple times is more than
aesthetically unpleasing, it is a flaw in the design and/or implementation.
As in my case, it also happens to be a show stopper. For others it may very
well not be a show stopper. However, any backup system that performs the
backup and recovery function as reliably and quickly as TrueImage and priced
similarly without the validation flaw is a better system. Norton Ghost is
such an application.

"John Barnett MVP" wrote in message
Lou, while you have outlined your backup scenario extremely well most
users would 'not' have 4 systems to backup in one go. I personally much
prefer Acronis over Norton Ghost and while, like all software, there may
be issues it certainly hasn't made me change my mind on what backup
application I should use. I've tried Norton, Casper, Acronis, Paragon and
one or two others, but always come back to Acronis.

I agree with your sentiments on 'timing'. Obviously someone who has 4
machines to image doesn't have this amount of time to 'waste'. However, I
don't think a 'single' PC user should be put off using what, to all intent
and purpose, is an excellent backup application.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
for
any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
the
mail/post..

Old June 6th 08, 05:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Lou

I do use a separate directory for each system. There is no mingling of
backup files from 2 different systems into one directory. I thought I had
made that clear, perhaps not.

Lou

Old June 6th 08, 09:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
David Webb

I wasn't referring to the commingling of system backups, I was referring to
storing multiple backups in the same directory, which your original statement
implies.

As a simplistic example, having one directory named system1 and it contains
monday.tib, tuesday.tib, wednesday.tib, etc.