Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Memory filling up too fast?

Old October 30th 08, 10:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
MilesAhead[_4_]

Default Memory filling up too fast?

There's also a setting via the Registry to set Superfetch to cache only
boot files. This helps avoid very slow boots while still getting the
benefit of not using Superfetch to cache running processes.

Also if you have your swapfile totally managed by Windows you may be
wasting a lot of disk accesses just resizing the swap file. Experiment
with setting the min and max the same(avoid resizing) or just turning it
off. As long as you're not overloading memory with too many startup
apps you can always reset the swap strategy back to the default if
neither works for you.

--
MilesAhead

"How come we don't know the I.Q. of the guy who invented the test?"
Old October 30th 08, 11:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Victek

Also if you have your swapfile totally managed by Windows you may be
wasting a lot of disk accesses just resizing the swap file. Experiment
with setting the min and max the same(avoid resizing) or just turning it
off. As long as you're not overloading memory with too many startup
apps you can always reset the swap strategy back to the default if
neither works for you.

--

I would agree with setting the paging file to a fixed size, as long is it's
at least twice the Vista recommended amount. However, everything I've ever

Old October 31st 08, 12:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
MilesAhead[_4_]

Victek;875084 Wrote:
Also if you have your swapfile totally managed by Windows you may be
wasting a lot of disk accesses just resizing the swap file.

Experiment
with setting the min and max the same(avoid resizing) or just turning

it
off. As long as you're not overloading memory with too many startup
apps you can always reset the swap strategy back to the default if
neither works for you.

-- I would agree with setting the paging file to a fixed size, as long is

it's
at least twice the Vista recommended amount. However, everything
I've ever
read says never turn off virtual memory since applications often ask
for
much more memory then they use and Windows needs to map that memory
somewhere.

Instead of going by what you read, try trying something yourself.

Old October 31st 08, 01:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Mick Murphy

Change your nick to "MilesBehind", you CLOWN.
If the swap file is turned off, problems WILL occur.
"Out of memory" error comes to mind. You are a
FOOL!
--
Mad Mike

Old October 31st 08, 05:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Mick Murphy

That is just a dirty, mongrel DOG that is spoofing me here.
It's too gutless to post in its own name!
--
Mad Mike

Old October 31st 08, 05:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Mick Murphy

And you are a SPOOFER, besides being an abusive FOOL.
You little GERM.
--
Mad Mike

Old October 31st 08, 01:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
ZeonStar

I'll try a few of these ideas tonight, thanks for the tips. I stopped
getting notifications last night on this topic, and was surprised to see
all these new ones. I do have my swap set to system managed so I will be
trying to change that first and maybe limiting super fetch might not be
a bad idea.

--
ZeonStar
Old October 31st 08, 02:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Mark H[_2_]

In 32-bit windows, After Effects is designed to use a maximum of 3GB of
memory, total.

On 64-bit windows, After Effects is designed to use 3.5GB per processor!
This could easily put you into page file territory and diminish processing
speeds if you don't have enough memory installed.

Next, CS3 is a 32-bit application. That means it must be emulated to work in
a 64-bit environment. This doesn't mean much for most applications, but
memory intensive programs will have a higher amount of overhead.

When you ran CS3 on the 32-bit machine, processes were limited to 2GB
(Actual use about 1.6GB.) On the 64-bit machine, things change! Images
immediately increase to a 3GB limit. (Think undo history...) Because of
this, it is recommended you have 6-8GB for CS3 on 64-bit machines.

Most of these limits can be adjusted within CS3 back to something that
doesn't fill up all your available memory or cause pagefile operations, but
if you have the money, install more memory. You'll be a lot happier.

"ZeonStar" wrote in message

Hey all,

Hope I am posting this in the right section and hope I can get some
feedback. I'm not even sure if this is a windows problem, but it is a
good place to start.

See my system info for my system specs but the main point of this post
is regarding my RAM. This system is the first time I've had 4 GBs of
ram, and also the first time I'm using a 64-bit OS.

My problem relates to the programs of the Adobe CS3 (That's CS3 and not
CS4). I've been doing alot of editing in Premiere Pro, which itself
isn't the problem. MY project in PPro is fairly complex, but only about
20 minutes long and nothing out of the oridinary. The problem begins
when I open up any other app to do some related work, like After
Effects, my RAM fills up very quickly and I can't understand why. I look
at my Sidebar RAM indicator and it shows I'm using nearly all 4 Gigs of
my RAM and the system performance suffers. Why is this? Often After
Effects will have basically a small clip open, nothing compared to what
Premiere has open but just those 2 apps will be nearly maxing out my
RAM, where as PPro alone maybe takes up 2 to 2.3GBs or so.

By contrast when I was on XP 32bit with 2 Gigs of RAM, on the same
system I might add, I could have those 2 programs open, plus something
like Maya, an IE instance, and so on and it wouldn't even phase the
system.

Do I have something set wrong?

--
ZeonStar

Old October 31st 08, 03:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
ZeonStar

Thank you Mark, that really helps me understand alot more than is going
on. I thought maybe this whole thing was "Just me" but clearly there is
more going on behind the scenes.

I use Premiere more than After Effects, but I imagine your desciption
is the same for either. It's interesting when I load a CS3 app is
usually says like "2% of 4.0 GB of memory used" and my first thought is
"Yeah right."

How can I adjust CS3 like you mentioned at the end of your post? I can
get some more RAM in a few weeks but in the meantime would like to tweak
things the best I can. If I had 6-8 Gigs of RAM would CS4 be better
about managing it? I'd hate to have just Premiere loaded and all of a
sudden my 8 GBs of RAM is full.

Also if I do get more RAM, which it then be best to have Superfetch
left normal?

--
ZeonStar
Old October 31st 08, 05:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Mark H[_2_]

This is a good starting point:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...nalId=kb401089

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Afte...132AB4723.html