Windows Movie Maker crashes while rending video

Old July 31st 08, 04:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Kittyburgers

Default Windows Movie Maker crashes while rending video

It doesn't really matter to me if it's a hang or a crash , the fact is,
it won't recover, and the program has to be terminated. To me, that's
more or less a crash ... the window area turns transparent white ...
we've all seen it before It's very annoying

I am using a nVidia GeForce 7600 GT with the latest driver (175.19)

If nobody can help me (I'm surprised that nobody else is having this
problem), then can somebody direct me to an alternative program? There
is mention of another version of Movie Maker.

--
Kittyburgers
Old July 31st 08, 04:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Kittyburgers

Also, I didn't mention in the last post: I am importing normal AVI files
from my Canon digital camera, so they are nothing out of the ordinary.
Also, after the program is restarted, I can usually publish the video
without another incident on Movie Maker's part.

--
Kittyburgers
Old July 31st 08, 05:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
PapaJohn

Try unchecking all the line items in your Tools Options Compatibility
list....

PapaJohn (MVP)

Old July 31st 08, 05:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

I agree that a failure is a failure - I'm just curious there because a crash
is about twenty times easier to debug abstractly than a hang is. If you're
getting an actual crash, I would be much more able to help you. But Papa
just posted up with good advice, so that'd be the next place to go.

--
Speaking for myself only.

Old July 31st 08, 05:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Kittyburgers

The only thing under the compatibility tab was "AVI Decompresser", and
that I had already unchecked, so that wasn't the problem. I've put the
check mark back for now.

Funny thing was that just now, when I opened Movie Maker to check on
this compatibility tab, Movie Maker stopped responding as soon as I
opened the program this time ... I didn't even have to click on publish
:shock:

The error report seems to be the same:

*****

Product
Windows Movie Maker

Problem
Stopped responding and was closed

Date
31/07/2008 01:31

Status
Report Sent

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangXProcB1
Application Name: MOVIEMK.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Application Timestamp: 4549c305
Hang Signatu 426a
Hang Type: 32
Waiting on Application Name: csrss.exe
Waiting on Application Version: 0.0.0.0
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Hang Signature 1: f42687f915239ddf8a22e462f9b02eb9
Additional Hang Signature 2: 4dc9
Additional Hang Signature 3: 05080ad0d06ffbdc0975854669a08c31
Additional Hang Signature 4: 426a
Additional Hang Signature 5: f42687f915239ddf8a22e462f9b02eb9
Additional Hang Signature 6: 4dc9
Additional Hang Signature 7: 05080ad0d06ffbdc0975854669a08c31

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 295682691

--
Kittyburgers
Old July 31st 08, 06:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
PapaJohn

If you have your setting in Tools Options General 'Open last project
on startup' checked..... rename the project file so Movie Maker doesn't find
it when starting up. If it runs that way it's a clue that it's a corrupt
project file.

Old July 31st 08, 03:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Kittyburgers

Open last project on startup wasn't checked, but it still crashed on me.
Something else must be going on. I wish Microsoft would start making
their own programs work properly. It's a shame, as I really think Movie
Maker is a nice simple tool for making quick video to upload to youtube.
I don't know what else I should be checking for. I don't have Nero
installed, so it can't be a problem with that. Any other suggestions?

--
Kittyburgers

Old August 20th 08, 08:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
chatfouz

i had the same problem. but then i found this, and it worked for me.

Windows movie maker for vista has a bug. In the bug, it will always
crash when you try and publish it in any way, if you have muted the
video's own sound. Basically, if you recorded a blooper to a video song
(like me :P) and you want to overlay the actualy song and take off the
video sound because you spoke in it for example, when you click on the
video expand and choose mute on the right click menu for audio, it will
crash when trying to publish. To work around this for now, right click
audio under the video menu and choose volume. then instead of checking
mute, slide the volume bar all the way down. You should now be able to
publish your video! www.myspace.com/georgehafiz if you're interested in
my videos btw. Hope this helps people, as I couldn't find any help on
google, this should be added up soon and hopefully a fix released from
microsoft.

--
chatfouz
chatfouz's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/chatfouz.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old August 25th 08, 11:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
RayvanWolfbaen

Okay I have read several different options on how to fix my movie maker
that crashes when I publish. I have already unchecked all the
compadabilty things, also I ahve tried the volume control instead of
mute when I edit my video. Im running a dell inspiron 530s with vista
home premium 32-bit and I'm going crazy trying to fix this. I even went
so far as to download the movie maker 2.6 and it wont work either
although I get an entirely different problem with it. Movie maker works
fine for me on my xp laptop just not on this ^&*^(*%^$%@# desktop.

This is my latest error code:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: MOVIEMK.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Application Timestamp: 4549b5b6
Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a76d
Exception Code: c000008c
Exception Offset: 000442eb
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Help please?!?!?!

--
RayvanWolfbaen