File not recognized

Old September 18th 07, 01:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
eric blom

Default File not recognized

I have an Excel file on my desktop. Whenever I double-click on it, I get the
error message "Windows cannot find 'C:\users\owners\Desktop\eric.sources.xlsx'
It doesn't matter if I save it under another name, or even pasting into a
new file.
I am able to open it by opening Excel first and then using the "open"
function.
Old September 18th 07, 03:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
brink[_1053_]

eric blom;455460 Wrote:
I have an Excel file on my desktop. Whenever I double-click on it, I get
the
error message "Windows cannot find
'C:\users\owners\Desktop\eric.sources.xlsx'
It doesn't matter if I save it under another name, or even pasting into
new file.
I am able to open it by opening Excel first and then using the "open"
function.

Hi Eric,

Are you able to open the Excel file by right clicking on it and click
Open With and selecting the Excel .exe program?

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69...-programs.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old September 18th 07, 04:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
eric blom

Thank you for responding. I just tried it, and no, I can't. Excel opens, but
not the spreadsheet itself. Can you help?

Old September 19th 07, 04:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Eric

Check the following article.

You receive an error message when you try to open an Office document or
start Outlook:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835404

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Old September 19th 07, 03:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
KSAndersen

I have the same problem. I don't think the abovementioned link gives any
solution. I have fully updated anti-virus software (AVG) and disabling this
did not change anything. I have the same problem with Word-files (Office
2003) as with Excel-files. In my case the problem was first solved disabling
UAC.
Kjeld

Old October 24th 07, 02:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
deng3

After the september bunch of vista-updates I got the same problems.
Has anyone found a solution meanwhile?

In addition since then my Outlook2007 runs a slow folder-repair-process
everytime I open it.

Dieter

Old November 18th 07, 02:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
capgar

This may work for Excel. It does not work for Word 2007 (problem in
documents folder and with e-mail attachments).

Thanks...Chris

Old November 6th 07, 06:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Richard Online

Hi. Have you tried unchecking the "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic
Data Exchange (DDE)" option, in Office Menu - Excel Options - Advanced?

That works for me.

Ricardo.