Alterative Music Players

Old October 4th 07, 06:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Stephan Rose

Default Alterative Music Players

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 11:50:42 -0400, cvp wrote:

Stephan Rose wrote:
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 16:31:11 -0400, cvp wrote:

I'm not sure what happened to my reply to you yesterday-maybe lost in
the ether! Anyway after several attempts I'm trying Thunderbird...

OK - I followed the link you gave me and followed the ubuntu//Debian
directions. Although there is an indication that 0.9.46 exists, it
reports that I have the latest version (0.9.45) and I see no way to
force any other version. Maybe it's just not there yet.

You have to add the official WineHQ repositories. Follow the directions
he

http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

Specifically, from a commandline these 2 are of interest for you:

wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo
apt- key add -

followed by:

sudo wget
http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/....d/feisty.list - O
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list

If you are running edgy or dapper just replace feisty with edgy/dapper.
If you are running gutsy just use the feisty list as there is no gutsy
list yet, feisty one works fine though.

Then check for updates again and you will have 0.9.46 available.

It brings up an unrelated question though: is there any way to install
packages intended for other distros? For example I would have liked to
try Lotus Symphony but it's only available for Red Hat and Suse. Is
there perhaps an installer for other "wrappers" ?

Yes, check up on a program called "Alien", it can convert redhat RPM
packages to debian packages.

Stephan,

Yes, that's exactly what I did - still shows 0.9.45 as latest. I had
read up on alien after asking the second question. Also found that there
are still a few Ubuntu/Symphony beta problems - think I'll let that one
lie for a while.

That's weird...

Do me a favor, run this from a command line:

ls /apt/sources.list.d

The output you should get should look something like this:

stephan@stephan-desktop:~$ ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d
winehq.list winehq.list.save

If you see the .list file (the .save doesn't matter) then run this:

sudo aptitude update

This will refresh the package list of what's new and available.

one of the lines in the output should be similar to this:

Hit http://wine.budgetdedicated.com feisty/main Packages

Then for gutsy run:

sudo aptitude full-upgrade

Or for feisty and below:

sudo aptitude upgrade

And if by then you aren't downloading the most recent version of wine
then that'll be really weird...

--
Stephan
2003 Yamaha R6

君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
君のこと忘れたときがないから
Old October 4th 07, 06:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Charlie Tame

Stephan Rose wrote:
[...]

Actually Stephan I was messing around last night and something odd
dependency-wise came up and it seemed like synaptic couldn't find
something or other but then I had to go out quick so never got back to
it, I got the impression a file may be missing from the server or
whatever...
Old October 4th 07, 07:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Stephan Rose

Stephan Rose wrote:
[...]

If you're running gutsy then that's not impossible. I've yet to see it
happen but it most certainly is possible and I wouldn't doubt that it
happens on occasion. I suspect that it might occur while a package is
being updated on the server.

If it's a stable release such as Feisty...there I'd be a little more
surprised about it and wouldn't expect that it would happen.

One little tip btw, aptitude from a command line is a little better than
synaptic which is apt-get based. Aptitude has better dependency resolving
and does a better job at cleanup if you remove a package.

It's hardly something the average user needs to worry about, but if you
play around a lot with different packages, aptitude can be a little
nicer. No GUI though (there is text mode UI if you run it without
parameters but I never do).

--
Stephan
2003 Yamaha R6

君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
君のこと忘れたときがないから
Old October 4th 07, 08:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
cvp[_2_]

Stephan Rose wrote:
[...]

I will when I can. I had a little setback on the machine I was using for
Ubuntu. I had a pre-Beta of Gutsy installed and decided to upgrade to
the Beta. It stuck on the Partitioner, next thing I knew the drive with
grub phase 2 on was corrupt and unbootable. I'm reinstalling the prior
pre-Bata now.
Old October 4th 07, 08:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Charlie Tame

Stephan Rose wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure it was a temporary glitch but thought I's mention it
just in case - would have paid more attention if not having to rush out
the house
Old October 4th 07, 08:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Stephan Rose

Stephan Rose wrote:
[...]

Ok on a fresh install with wine not installed, you'll also have to use
"sudo aptitude install wine" instead of "sudo aptitude upgrade" in the
end. =)

Can still run upgrade though to grab OS updates. =)

--
Stephan
2003 Yamaha R6

君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
君のこと忘れたときがないから
Old October 5th 07, 03:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
cvp[_2_]

Stephan Rose wrote:
[...]

Having recovered from the setback, I can report that I now have 0.9.46
installed. There were some oddities during the execution of the commands
on winehq.com but its now there. The bad news I guess is that I can't
recreate the prior problem!The output to the command is as you expected.
Thanks for the help.