Vista doesn't print to an old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallelconnection)...

Old October 3rd 07, 08:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Ant[_2_]

Default Vista doesn't print to an old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallelconnection)...

Hello.

I have an old college friend who has a fairly new Gateway computer from
April/May 2007. It came with Windows Vista. She has a printing problem
with her old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection).

She bought a Belkin USB Parallel Printer Adapter (part number F5U002v1).
She says the box doesn't say Vista support. Is this a problem? I don't
think it is since it is just a cable adapter.

When she tries to print, Vista saves as a XPS file and not send to the
printer. I read that XPS is like PDF. It sounds like Vista doesn't have
her printer connected (asked her to check -- I hope she knows how to
find it).

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd04246.pdf for the PDF manual.

Based on
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=61012&lang=en
.... Vista knows about this printer so no downloaded driver needed.

I am helping her through e-mails since she isn't close by for me to visit.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
--
"I am afraid that I am convinced that a community of human beings is a
far more useful thing than a community of ants, and that if the human
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Old October 3rd 07, 09:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Dave[_4_]

Does the printer show up in the Printers folder in control panel? If it
does, is it set as the default printer?
Does the printer support a USB connection?

Old October 3rd 07, 09:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Dominic Payer

The Microsoft XPS printer is probably set as the default.

Your friend should go Control Panel - Hardware and Sound: Printer. Then open
the 870CSe entry and choose Printer - Set As Default Printer.

Old October 3rd 07, 09:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
wheelman

Default Vista doesn't print to an old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (paral

do a restart,,if it does not reconize it..go to hp.com and see if they have
updated software or a fix for vista..my printer is hp..usb and it worked with
vista.with no problem.but you see how many problems people are haveing with
vista..its a nightmare os..

Old October 3rd 07, 12:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Richard Urban

It comes down to this: If a person "knows" what they are doing, and installs
Vista on sufficient hardware - he likely will have no problems.

If a person buys a new computer, designed for Vista (with Vista installed by
the manufacturer) - he will likely have no problems, other than removing
McAfee, Symantec and the rest of the installed crapware.

Now, if people would just stay out of services and the
registry.................................

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"Mike Brannigan" Mike.Brannigan@localhost wrote in message
"wheelman" wrote in message
snip.but you see how many problems people are haveing with
vista..its a nightmare os..

Don't judge the health of a nation by sitting in a hospital emergency room
and looking at what comes through the doors. That is not representative
of what is happening in the real world.
The same is true here. Just because there are number of people with
problems do not assume everyone is having issues.
Personally my family and I (some 14 machines ) are all using Vista and
have had ZERO issues. I have also been involved in large corporate
deployments of Vista (thousands of machines) and again no major issues.
--

Mike Brannigan

http://aqfl.net

Old October 3rd 07, 01:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Saucy[_8_]

"Richard Urban" wrote in message

Now, if people would just stay out of services and the
registry.................................

--

Why should I?

Actually, Service's list of services has gotten so huge it's hard to
determine what is or is not important/necessary/turn-off-able. One
bewilderedly wonders what is going on on one's own computer as there's so
much going on. I've turned off a few things and set a couple more to
'Automatic', but most of the plumbing I just leave alone.

Saucy

Old October 3rd 07, 03:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Ant[_2_]

I need to check with her. I assume it was autodetected. I will get back
to you. No USB support like I said earlier. Manual doesn't mention USB
connection. It's very old!

On 10/3/2007 2:01 AM PT, Dave typed:

"Ant" wrote in message
[...]

"Better (to be) an ant's head than a lion's tail." --Armenian and Maltese
/\___/\

Old October 3rd 07, 03:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Ant[_2_]

We did that. See my link below. There is no driver. HP said Vista has it
already.

On 10/3/2007 2:15 AM PT, wheelman typed:

"Ant" wrote in message
[...]

"An ant is a wise creature for itself, but it is a shrewd thing in an
orchard or garden." --Francis Bacon
/\___/\

Old October 3rd 07, 05:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Saucy[_8_]

"Ant" wrote in message
I need to check with her.

If the printer is not auto-detected you can add it manually as that
particular model's drivers are built into Vista.

Look for the "Add Printer" button:

-Start
- Control Panel
- switch to "Classic View" [if not already]
- Printers
- click the "Add a printer" button
- select "Add a local printer"
- check the "Use and exisiting port" radio button [the default selection]
- and select "LPT1:Printer Port" from the dropdown list [the default
selection]
- click Next
- under Mnaufacturer select "HP"
- and under Printers select "HP Deskjet 870Cse"
- give the printer and name [ just use the default name]
- click Next
- and the printer installs .. print a test page to make surt it is working
and click any OKs etc.

Saucy

Old October 3rd 07, 05:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Phillip Pi

"While the printer is supported natively in Vista, by using the Parallel
to USB cable you would need to have the cable be able to support Vista.
Unfortunately the Belkin cables do not support Vista." I forgot to
mention that the box said it didn't say Vista (98 to XP). Is this true?
I don't see how this would not work. What if one wants to run Linux?

On 10/3/2007 1:18 AM PT, Ant wrote:

[...]

Phillip Pi (aka Ant)
Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
ISP/Symantec Online Services, Consumer Business Unit
Symantec Corporation
www.symantec.com
Email: YMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
views of my employer. Thank you.