Why ask for 8 gigas of free space ?

Old August 30th 06, 10:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
SuNcO

Default Why ask for 8 gigas of free space ?

I have the beta 2, then i want to install the pre-rc1 but when i try to
update it says that requires 8 gigas or something.. i only have 3 gigas

The cuestion is : Why requires so long spaces if is an update ? I mean, the
windows is going to replace some files and not see the needed to ask for 8
gigas

Ok, the windows can replace 3 gigas.. but 8 gigas ?

If need the 8 gigas to temporaly files or something, a good idea maybe is
that ask for anoter hard disk (like me, that have free 40 entire gigas in
another hard disk)

I know that is a beta and not must be used as primary.. but what about if i
dont want to install Office 2007, or Dreamweaver again ? Maybe some backup
but the backups of Vista have not that option.. just backup the documents and
another stuff like videos, pothos.. but not registry

Sorry about my bad english :P
Old August 30th 06, 10:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Tom Ziegmann

Hello SuNcO,

The install requires so much space becuase files are not actually being copied
from the cd, a ghost type image is being copied. Then the installer expands
that image on to the hard drive.
Tom Ziegmann
Microsoft Certified Professional
Windows Vista / Server Longhorn Technical Beta Tester
Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 Technical Beta Tester

Old August 30th 06, 10:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Jimmy Brush

Windows Vista keeps all of your old files and folders when it does an
upgrade. The very last step is integrating the old with the new.

If Vista did not do this, and the installation failed, you would not have a
working computer because Vista would not be able to put things back to the
way they were.

This is why upgrading needs so much free space.

--
- JB

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Old August 31st 06, 01:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
SuNcO

Ok, the answer is good. I hope Vista Team takes the idea of asking for
another hard disk to store temp files in thereand when it finish then remove
it