Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (Code 12)

Old November 26th 07, 08:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LG[_2_]

Default Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (Code 12)

Vista users: Don’t install “ATI PCI Express (3GIO) Filter Driver”
November 15th, 2007
Enjoy using your computer? Then don’t install the optional Vista update “ATI
PCI Express (3GIO) Filter Driver” unless you are certain you own that
particular piece of ATI hardware.
I foolishly installed this bomb of an update, and upon restarting my
computer I found that my network card, sound card, and video card had all
failed.
The fix for this problem is easy. Go to Device Manager, open the “System
devices” node, then right click and Uninstall the “3GIO Filter Driver”. Make
sure you click the “Delete the driver from your system” checkbox. Then it’s
just a matter of enjoying the fantastic fireworks of failing drivers. After a
few restarts the correct drivers should be back in use.
I found no useful information online, so here’s the info that Windows Update
provides
Information found at http://wyday.com/blog/2007/dont-install-ati-pic-e-3gio/

"akagiredsun1" wrote:

I'm suddenly having USB device issues, and upon closer examination, my
OpenHCD USB controller is now giving me a Code 12 (This device cannot find
enough free resources that it can use.)

The only major updates I've had recently was the last Windows Update. I've
tried removing the offender, and all my USB controllers and reinstalling
them, but it comes back with the same error.

I have the following as USB Controllers:
- Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
- Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (Code 12)
- USB Mass Storage Device
- USB Root Hub

Any suggestions on how I can take care of this?

Old November 27th 07, 12:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
FC

I also just discovered this ....uninstalled it and usb is back!... You must
first disable the usb drivers so you can uninstall this......

FC

Old November 27th 07, 03:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
fdwt994

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! My USB is back now also! It was a little
scary watching the "fireworks" but I'm back in business.

Old November 27th 07, 03:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TwoBitMatt[_9_]

I'm still having problems getting the fix to work - it keeps complaining
about not being able to get a request back from the device's descendants
- which I'm not sure what the hell they could be, consider the device is
the result of a poorly filtered Windows update. Can anyone cook up a
step by step for this?

--
TwoBitMatt
TwoBitMatt's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=35517

http://forums.techarena.in

Old November 27th 07, 03:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TTopJohnson[_6_]

Same here, it works!

Mouse and cellphone memory are now accessible. I just uninstalled the
ATI driver in question, with no need to disable USB devices.

Thanks for bringing this up FC!

--
TTopJohnson
TTopJohnson's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=35479

Old November 27th 07, 06:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TwoBitMatt[_10_]

Awesome, I disabled my USB devices and then uninstalled the ATI driver,
and now everything's up and running again.

Thanks so much for the tip!

Old November 27th 07, 10:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
akagiredsun1

By Jove, you guys are brilliant! Thank you so much for finding this out!

I did have some issues w/ the removal of the 3GIO driver coming back. So I
found that when I went into the driver details and hit "Roll Back Driver" it
took care of it too.

If MS is watching this, they should make a very big statement on this update
(triple bold or something) to NOT install it unless you have an ATI system.

Again, thanks so much! Everything works beautifully now!

Old November 29th 07, 03:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Elliott

LG truely stands for Life's Good.

Yea Baby or as we say here in Texas, Yahoooo

That also solved the code 12 problem with the Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE
Controller.

Elliott

Old November 29th 07, 07:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David Hudson Floyd

I've been attempting to resolve this though HP support. They
recommended I reinstall my system from scratch. Lame answer: HP
Support is getting worse and worse.

Has anyone had any other luck?