Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vista resets desktop folders by skaizun
I change the contents of the desktop folders (e.g., My Computer, etc.) so that they display with Medium Icons in a small window (i.e., not maximized). Regardless of whether I click Folder Options - View - Apply or Reset, or do anything else in an attempt to save those folders' settings, they inevitably become maximized and change the view to something other than Medium Icons (it isn't...
March 15th 09 03:08 AM
by PaulM[_7_] Go to last post
1 266
Installing some antique programs by Gordon Biggar
I have a program, Harvard Graphics for Windows, developed by Software Publishing Corp back in the mid-1990's. Some years ago, I installed it on one of my desktops (Windows 2000 Pro platform) without a problem. Recently, I copied the folders onto my desktop with Vista Home Premium . Appropriate drivers (just three) were copied into the Windows and System32 folders. However, at start-up I...
March 15th 09 12:51 AM
by Gordon Biggar Go to last post
7 307
DirectX 10.1 by Rainydaze
Just a simple question about DX10.1. I installed Vista SP1 a while back on my system and bought a DX10.1 compatible card but the d3d10_1.dll and the d3d10_1core.dll are not listed in my system 32 directory as most tech sites say I should have if 10.1 installed on my system. Why aren't these installed and why didn't directx 10.1 install along with SP1? Please advise and thanks in advance.
March 15th 09 12:32 AM
by Borne Aching Go to last post
1 285
Urgent help: KB951847,KB958623 by JL2008
Hi, Everytime I try to download these 2 updates I get a 800B0100 error. I already disbaled my firewall and Anti virus software. I tried to download these updates from the Microsoft site. Microsoft has even tried to help me but I still cant download these updates. I have been trying to download these updates (especially 958632). I have Windows Vista. And I have Norton Internet Security. Thanks...
March 14th 09 11:38 PM
by TaurArian[_4_] Go to last post
2 333
Folder Tags by Alan
Hi, When I open a folder and select Details I always get 'Tags', 'Album', 'Rating', '#' etc. I right click the toolbar and remove all of these because all I want is the file name and the size. I then open the same folder again and they're all there again. How I can I permanently set this to just the name and size please? TIA, Alan. (Vista Home Premium)
March 14th 09 10:20 PM
by Alan Go to last post
7 305
Security permissions by Nancy[_9_]
Is there anyway to set a certain program to open without all of the windows that Vista insists on presenting me with. You'd think that after I open a program a couple of times, an intuitive program would learn that I *want* it to open and that it's not a hazard to the system. I have a couple of programs that no matter how I set permissions, the darn computer always asks me if I opened the...
March 14th 09 09:20 PM
by Gene E. Bloch Go to last post
3 276
6 problems im having with Vista, any help? by goorambatman
Ok I have compiled all my PC's problems into the one post. Microsoft offers really short online support subscription support so i'v come here Here are 6 Problems I am having. Can any one offer any help or advice to solving these problems? PC Details Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 Beta v.275 32-bit Dell Dimension 5150 Pentium D Dule Core Processor
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 14th 09 08:58 PM
by Whtzombie Go to last post
12 474
UAC FAR file copy problem by Alexander Zorgiev
Hello everyone. It seems it is a kind of a bug but I'm not sure. A lot of folders also contain desctop.ini file but as far as I know these files shan't be there 'cos Vista is handling folder icons via the registry store instead of desktop.ini files. It is also sounds like a bug. Anyone can easily review this situation just looking at Videos, Music and all other personal folders. You also can...
March 14th 09 08:57 PM
by Alexander Zorgiev Go to last post
0 246
Questions about policy editor by pc nerd
I have a laptop with Home Premium. I'm thinking about upgrading to Ultimate. I have some questions. Home Premium doesn't have any policy editors. I know that I can change existing Registry entries & add new entries to make Vista more secure. When one makes a change to a policy editor, in what file is the change stored? Or is it stored in the Registry? If policy editor changes are stored in...
March 14th 09 08:40 PM
by Synapse Syndrome [KGB] Go to last post
5 265
My posts in this newsgroup not showing up on my computer by oldfogie
Posts I make in this newsgroup are not showing up on my computer. I think I had this problem once before, but can't remember the fix. If I go to "microsoft.windows.public.vista.general" in Internet Explorer my posts are shown there. Please tell me how to fix this problem. I can find any replies with I.E. as above. Thanks!
March 14th 09 08:24 PM
by oldfogie Go to last post
8 276
.pdf file extension in windows vista x64 by SeamanV
Use vista ultimate x64. Just installed Adobe CS4 master suite. All file extensions work fine with associated program (ie: .psd for photoshop ...) except pdf file. Double click pdf files, program won't open at all. Try to set default file (from windows explorer and from control panel), no effect. Have tried unassociate.exe as posted in he http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/ and...
March 14th 09 07:45 PM
by SeamanV Go to last post
2 269
Need Help! by Jim
How do I remove a program from the list in the control panel: programs/uninstall programs/ uninstall or change program ? I tried uninstalling program without success. using windows Vista home basic. Need to uninstall so I can re install older version.
March 14th 09 07:06 PM
by Jim Go to last post
9 265
1.Vista compat. 2. Works with over 1TB by John[_57_]
I have Diskeeper 2008 which does NOT work on large drives (over 1TB). The new Diskeeper does, but I don't want to pay their ridiculous prices again, now with add-ons. (yes, I have a lot of files on my Vista box) So, I need: 1.Vista compat. 2. Works with over 1TB Is there ANYTHING good out there? Please don't tell me to use MS defragmenter. Tks.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 14th 09 06:42 PM
by John McGaw Go to last post
16 452
Boot menu option - Start without UAC ? by ju.c[_2_]
I want to add a Boot Menu option to start Vista without UAC. How do I do this? Thanks.
March 14th 09 06:35 PM
by Brink Go to last post
4 270
User Profile Service failed by Birm
I'm running vista home premium and I get the erroe message User Profile Service service failed the logon. I saw the other posts about renaming the file with.bak, but the logon that failed is the Administrator. Any ideas? I have no Admin rights on my own PC. Thanks vista.
March 14th 09 06:12 PM
by Brink Go to last post
3 284
Resetting .zip association by philnolan3d[_2_]
I installed WinRAR the other day and accidentally set it as the default program to open .zip files. I would rather just have them open in Explorer as they do by default. Can someone tell me how to set it back? -- philnolan3d ~~Phil Nolan Modeler / Animator
March 14th 09 06:10 PM
by Brink Go to last post
3 313
opening attachments .pps by jch17[_2_]
Does anyone know how to create a set association for attachments ending in .pps. I have found the default location in control panel but am afraid to click on any of the options lest it mess up the opening of other attachments. If anyone knows a way to do this would appreciate your sharing it with me. Thanks --
March 14th 09 06:06 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
5 343
alias, the vile lying creep... by Alias[_47_]
Frank wrote: Snip lies. You're really, really desperate, Frances. Alias
March 14th 09 05:54 PM
by Alias[_47_] Go to last post
0 328
misplaced article links in windows help and support by alexios goutsoulas
today when i checked the windows help and support to find help for something, i noticed that all the "links" that refer to the help articles next to them have a little box with a red X inside them. (like this box that appears in a web browser when a picture cant be displayed). another problem is that i have deleted all the restore points before taking aware of this situation and i cant do a...
March 14th 09 05:48 PM
by DDW[_3_] Go to last post
2 339
Control Panel Won't open up by Fahid Shehzad
Hello There, I have been good with XP, but just a few days before I decided to try Vista. I installed vista in a different drive than XP (so that I can keep both). Vista is installed correctly, runs fine unless I try to open the Control Panel or click on Personalize in the desktop right click menu. When I do any of these nothing happens, nothing, Some times when try to open Control Panel, I...
March 14th 09 05:48 PM
by DDW[_3_] Go to last post

From The