Threads in Forum : Installation and Setup of Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread Reverse Sort Order / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
"Upgrade" from RC2 Problems by Jeff Daly
I am an Action Pack subscriber and now that my Office 2007 beta period is over, I decided that I would grab hold of my Vista and Office release versions and get it all over with. I realize that I can NOT 'upgrade' in the traditional sense since the RC2 was Vista Ultimate and the Action Pack distributes Vista Business. Here is what I've done: 1. I've done my backup and a Windows Easy...
April 5th 07 02:53 AM
by Rock Go to last post
2 191
"upgrade" re-install with Vista OEM DVD? by Timothy Daniels[_6_]
I want to re-install Vista Business/SP1on my laptop from its Dell OEM installation DVD, and I'm trying to avoid having to re-install all the drivers and apps. I've read in various forums (fora?) that I should do an "upgrade" installation with the DVD. But when I start the DVD from the running OS (which I've read is the way to do it), the option to upgrade is grayed out and a statement reads: ...
June 21st 09 12:38 PM
by Curious[_4_] Go to last post
1 231
"Upgrading" 64bit Vista to 32bit Vista... by Howard Woodard
I built a 64 bit Vista Ultimate system. Unfortunately, some of the 32 bit video editing programs that I use do not run reliably under the 64 bit OS. My retail package is for Vista Ultimate sp1 and contains two DVDs, one for 32 bit installations and one for 64 bit installations. My question is: Can I use the 32 bit DVD and perform an "upgrade" to the current 64 bit installation rather than...
November 16th 08 01:02 PM
by John Barnes[_2_] Go to last post
5 391
"When I close the lid: Do Nothing" by Carl Farrington
I choose the above option, so then why does Vista disable my notebook display and re-arrange displays when I close the lid on my laptop? I start playing a movie, set to full screen on TV-Out, then I would like to close the lid on my laptop so that the kittens don't walk over the keyboard. I'd call that a bug.
December 28th 07 12:48 PM
by JW Go to last post
6 138
"Which type of Installation do you want?" Problem? by Steven G
I've installed Vista Beta 2 a while ago. Upgraded to the pre-RC1, was on vacation for the follow-ups and now I have the latest version, 5728, and when I try to install it, I keep getting the error, "Upgrade is not available. You can only upgrade when using XP SP2 or Windows Vista." Well, I'm using Vista but it's not recognizing it for some reason. The other "upgraded" never had a problem but...
September 26th 06 05:26 AM
by Steven G Go to last post
3 150
"Windows cannot format the system partition on this drive" by stchad
Can anyone help? I have reinstalled Vista today. I have 2 drives and installed Vista on C. I want to format D but get the message "Windows cannot format the system partition on this drive". Why is the System partition installed on D? Can I move it to C so I can format D?
July 14th 08 09:30 PM
by cause121 Go to last post
3 180
"windows could not set the offline locale information" by Bruce
Hi, I'm trying to reinstall Vista on a clean (Format c:) machine. I get this error during the adding features task. What's wrong? Thanks, Bruce
July 8th 08 03:12 PM
by weijianzhao Go to last post
1 204
"Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration..." by zachary
Inclosed is a screenshot of the error. I have tried installing about 5 times and keep getting the same error. I did the Microsoft update and still it doesn't work. http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1934/pieceof****vistafc4.png
June 10th 07 12:09 AM
by XS11E Go to last post
6 185
"Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration..." by keyjade
I am attempting to upgrade from Win XP Pro (SP3) to Vista Home Premium, and purchased the update from the Microsoft Store online and downloaded my three files. That is, I am not using the CD or DVD option for upgrade. The Windows Upgrade Advisor gives me the all-clear for upgrade. When I commence the upgrade process and get to the 'Installing Windows...' screen it successfully completes the...
October 14th 08 06:15 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
8 296
"Windows Installer Cannot Be Accessed" Error by Greg[_15_]
After downloading ITunes and some other programmes, I am getting an error message that "Windows Installer cannot be accessed..This can occur when Windows installer is not correctly installed". I tried to download and instal Windows Installer 3.1 V2 Distributable from microsoft but when trying to run that it says "not enough storage is available for this command" Anyone have any ideas?
March 29th 08 09:34 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
1 152
"Windows is Toast" - Just Want to Be Sure by Dave Lee
Without warning on my Dell XPS 1530 laptop (Vista Home Premium - pretty much up to date) I found that my system would no longer boot. I could get to the User Select step, but it was just a Blue Screen from that point forward. I sent some time today with a Dell tech and we tried to run a Restore (F8 on boot - Repair your Computer - System Restore) on a couple of different restore points. They...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 30th 08 11:02 PM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
15 476
"Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteriafor installing" by Chris Barnes
Installing Vista Enterprise (32bit) on a brand new Dell Optiplex 755. Wiped out the existing partitions (because I hate all the crapola that comes with new machines) and always insist on doing a fresh install. Booted from my Vista disk and it appears that all is well. I highlight the drive (only 1 with only 1 partition) and click on the Install button Get the message in the subject line. ...
September 18th 08 01:04 AM
by Darrell Gorter[MSFT] Go to last post
4 294
"Windows Media Center" upgrade to "Vista Business" ? by peyz
Hi all, I am buying an HP Pavillion which runs on the "WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER". Can I upgrade it to VISTA ( preferably "business" ) directly? I know "WIN XP PRO" does allow for the upgrade, but I have been told the Win Med Cntr is not able. And that I have to purchase a WIN XP PRO first, and then upgrade it to Vista !! ... which would mean even more money out of my pocket !! Can we do the...
February 11th 07 06:02 AM
by Rock Go to last post
4 195
"Windows must be reinstalled to activate" by drew
When I boot my computer, I'm getting a message that says "Windows must be reinstalled to activate. Insert the Windows installation DVD or CD into your computer to begin the reinstallation process." I do not want to reinstall Windows because it is already installed and configured the way I want it, and has been working just fine for months. Prior to this error, I had been having memory...
August 3rd 08 09:11 PM
by drew Go to last post
6 237
"windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer'shardware" by Angel Blue01
I forgot to mention that the processor is a Core 2 Duo e7200, the chipset is Intel G35, integrated video is Intel GMA X3500. This motherboard BIOS doesn't let me change very much, but the defaults seem OK... I tried switching out the SATA cables, and got Windows to install, seems to never load the desktop.
July 15th 08 12:08 AM
by Curious Go to last post
1 126
"windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer'shardware" by Angel Blue01
I'm building a new computer for a client with Windows Vista Business x64. I just put the machine together today, but I when I tried to install Vista I get an error. Window setup copies files to the hard drive but after it reboots it takes a very long time to get to the setup screen again and finally messagebox with the error "Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's...
July 14th 08 11:02 PM
by Curious Go to last post
3 170
"Windows Setup experienced an unexpected error - Error Code: 0x0" by Brad
Hello, I purchased Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade Edition and installed a fresh copy of Windows Ultimate on my HDD (30-Day Trial)..... Installation went smoothly... Once vista loaded I went to run the upgrade on pc using my HP DVD 640I DVDRW Drive and got the following error message: "Windows Setup experienced an unexpected error. To install Windows, restart the installation. Error...
June 16th 08 10:31 PM
by djbrooksuk Go to last post
1 185
"Windows Vista Setup Preperation" by nsybouts
I recently downloaded Vista upgrade 64 bit from the windows website. Everytime i go to install the program from the exe file it gives me an error message saying: "Cannot extract Windows Vista Setup to your hard drive. Please ensure that you can create files and folders in the same foler where VistaSetupPrep.exe was downloaded." Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I've done...
February 19th 07 02:00 PM
by nsybouts Go to last post
2 261
"X is not a valid Win32 application" Error on EVERY executable by NeologiK
When I try to execute ANY ( yes, any ) executable ( *.exe/*.msi etc) file, I receive the error msg "is not a valid Win32 application". I am now at the point I can not add or update ANY software whatsoever due to this error coming up for any executable. Im running Vista Home Basic, I thought I was a power-user until this one, and my goal is to either A) Find out the problem and a fix for it....
March 3rd 08 07:43 PM
by .Joe[_24_] Go to last post
1 235
'BOOT FAILURE' new HD Or Vista? by krootbert
Ok here is the spec lowdown; I have an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Mobo with 1016 Bios, 4600+ X2, 2GBs of some HQ matched pair Cosair ram, 7600GT & an Audigy 2 platinum ex PSU is a 700w FSP I have now 3 SATA hard drives - one Seagate 400GB with XP on it, one Seagate 500GB with Vista HP on it & a 250GB WD drive that is a non bootable drive. I also have 3 IDE drives - x2 Maxtor 120's & one Maxtor 250 No...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 1st 07 03:38 PM
by JW Go to last post

From The