Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Accidentally deleted defender by fastcarz
I took defender off the start menu because it was annoying me and I already had Norton and AVG running - yes i realise they do the same thing and defender does something different - i was told it didn't. So now my computer is in limited functionality mode after failing validation. Will Vista fail validation after taking defender off the start menu? What can I do to fix it - other then...
November 18th 07 04:21 AM
by Carey Frisch [MVP] Go to last post
1 130
Windows Defender is blocking a program I don't want it to block by deaden_07[_11_]
I can't figure out how to get it to knock it off and just let it run at startup. Anyone able to walk me through it? -- deaden_07
November 17th 07 05:13 PM
by PeteWill Go to last post
2 144
dep problems by jo332
my GREETING CARD FACTORY DELUXE program wont instal on my laptop.windows DEP closes the setup all the time.ive been on nova development websit but found noithing about software compatibilty.i just want to insall the program
November 17th 07 04:00 PM
by jo332 Go to last post
0 162
DEP keeps closing IE7, what's gives? by Mesquire
OS: Vista Home Premium (Dell OEM) Data Execution Prevention is causing my IE7 to crash when visiting some websites - 70+ times in 2 weeks of using Vista! These sites are fine on Windows XP/IE7. In an attempt to fix the problem I have tried turning on DEP for all programs and add IE7 to exception but without any success - the same sites are still crashing.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 17th 07 02:36 PM
by Greg[_8_] Go to last post
11 287
DEP Garbage by Richard[_5_]
how do you turn off that DEP garbage on IE. cannot find an EXE for IE. Cannot believe MS dumped such incomplete garbage into the market place.
November 17th 07 07:08 AM
by dennis@home Go to last post
3 158
Others are logged on to this computer Warning by Robin3174
My husband is in a hotel room using a wireless connection to the internet. When he goes to shut down his computer he gets the window's warning "other people are logged on to this computer and they could lose data if he continues. Do you still want to shut down?" Can anyone tell me if this means someone has hacked into his computer or not? And if not, why is this message appearing? Thanks...
November 17th 07 06:21 AM
by Colm Go to last post
3 162
InternetRegistry by [email protected]
helo Internet Explorer extensions, like BHOs, get there registry access redirected to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\InternetRegistry\USERS\{SID} \Software... certainly they'll see values that they write there themselves, but are they able to read "real" registry values? my experiments show they
November 16th 07 08:24 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 186
How to create file on c:\ by Stoyan Malchev
I have an app that creates some files in c:\. It fails on VISTA on access violation. Is it possible to enable access to root directory on drive c:
November 16th 07 03:16 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 146
Microsoft.net Framework version 1.1 by Garcia
I updated my destop from Windows XP to Windows Vista Home, no problem during instalation, after that one, Windows updated send several files to be updated, all files were installed except Microsoft.Net framework version 1.1, Service pack 1 (KB929729), this file the system can´t install it and a message occur is showed: " error code 643". In the Windows support I can´t find information how...
November 16th 07 10:05 AM
by Garcia Go to last post
0 105
Launching medium integrity process from activex in IE protected mode by [email protected]
Hi all, I have trouble finding out how to launch a process in medium integrity level from an activex within IE in protected mode (thus low integrity level) - with a consent dialog of course. I am doing this while using a Guest account. Can someone point out how to do that? I have gone through all of the MS/Technet documents, the only thing I could find was suggestion to
November 16th 07 07:01 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 110
Latest updates prevent IE and Media Player from running by GM
I found that after some automatic updates were deployed yesterday, my IE is not able to navigate to some web pages. Also Media Player doesn't start. The problem can be solved if I start these as "Administrator" but this is not a good solution for me. Any ideas?
November 16th 07 04:49 AM
by GM Go to last post
0 99
"Access Denied" File Read Only won't stay cleared. by john stuart
I have an application installed on the C: drive, but Vista is on H: drive. The application on C:, was installled from Vista, and runs without problems, except for one. Specifically, the app updates the data it uses via Internet download, then runs an update .exe locally. When I try to apply the updates, the updater app stops with a "Access Denied" error, showing the path to the file with...
November 16th 07 04:31 AM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
1 169
computer waking up from hibernating by itself by bert
i recently purchased a brand new asus g2s laptop and when i put my laptop into hibernation it has on occansion "woken" itself up. i have checked my network card to make sure it doesn't wake up on lan and have also reviewed my scheduled and battery settings to make sure these are not an issue. virus/hacker/spyware are my biggest concern even though i have done virus spyware checks. Is it...
November 16th 07 01:44 AM
by Dennis Pack Go to last post
1 123
Windows Vista Premium/ Windows OneCare Live an SpywareBlaster?? by JJ
I read in one of your forums a gentleman said that this was a good antispyware program. I went to JavaCool web site and it was dated back in 2005 about product. Is this a viable program to use with Vista Premium an Windows Live OneCare. Thanks all an have a great an safe day.
November 16th 07 12:18 AM
by StephenB Go to last post
1 124
Survey for a book: best anti-virus for Vista by Tom Underhill
I've written a book on desktop Internet security called -*Lock the Boogie Man Out of Your Computer*-. I'm looking for feedback on the best anti-virus for Vista (both 64 and 32), in free and paid categories. Share your real-world experiences and you could get quoted in the upcoming new edition. Thanks much!
November 15th 07 11:08 PM
by Tom Underhill[_2_] Go to last post
4 124
norton security by norton security
when we first bought our computer the person who helped us with installing the wireless suggested we get rid of norton security as in his experience it often caused trouble by blocking internet access. He thought that we did not need it. In the meantime, it is still not totaly taken off as a window always pops up when turning on the computer prompting us to complete installation by clicking...
November 15th 07 11:02 PM
by Kayman[_4_] Go to last post
2 150
files and sound quality by Craig[_3_]
i have been having some trouble , sometimes , when i download something , i go to get the file i just downloaded and it isnt there its disappeared ? has anyone had the same problem ? or can offer some suggestions , and 1 more is the microphone quality in msn or skype , its totally clear , but when i use me web camera at the same time their is a lot of noise in the background..... ? i am using...
November 15th 07 10:49 PM
by Malke Go to last post
1 131
Update problem by Noel S Pamfree
Last night my PC downloaded the latest Vista updates and when I went to shut it down it said to leave it running as it was installing update 1 of 5. I left it on all night but this morning it still said 'Installing update 1 of 5'. Advice please? Thanks,
November 15th 07 08:59 PM
by Noel S Pamfree Go to last post
1 148
system restore error!! by PleaseHelp!
I have been trying to run a system restore ever since i've been getting a strange pop up on every browser about my computer being infected with some spyware. (virus scans have NOT helped). My computer gives me an error "system restore did not complete successfully - unspecific error occured during system restore. I have been able to choose a restore time after my original problem has began...
November 15th 07 08:33 PM
by Ray[_6_] Go to last post
2 205
recover EFS files ??? (revised) by mike
hi, vista ultimate my vista drive no longer boots after i had to replace motherboard and ended up with a new & different chipset. i have installed vista on a new drive and am copying data from old drive. all is going well except for some files i had encrypted with EFS. when trying to copy these, i am told i do not have permission to access. drag & drop just gave me empty folders. any help ??? i...
November 15th 07 08:01 PM
by brink[_1887_] Go to last post

From The