Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Run As Administrator does not work with UAC disabled by Kurt Harriger
After installing vista ultimate I created a new administrative account and changed my account type to standard user then disabled UAC. When I login as my standard user and use Run As Administrator the application runs with no prompt as my standard user. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks, - Kurt
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 28th 06 12:18 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
21 563
Registry Access by Tim Gee
Hi, I have a application which writes data to the HKLM key. This is system wide app data, used by all users of the program (regardless of login name etc) in fact some of it is shared between programs. What am I supposed to do under Vista - where should I write this data to?, does it stay in the registry or become a txt file? I've had a look around MSDN and can't find any guidelines apart...
November 27th 06 11:10 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
6 222
ChangeWindowMessageFilter: what does this really do?? by GSLockwood (IUnknown)
Hello, I believe I have the situation where a "low" privileged app is sending windows messages to an IE7 in protected mode and thereby the messages are not allowed to pass thru. How can I get these messages to be allow to pass? Is ChangeWindowMessageFilter the answer?
November 27th 06 10:28 PM
by GSLockwood (IUnknown) Go to last post
7 306
Well I think Vist RTM is great! by niknik
Hi, I'm very impressed with vista. I like it a lot. I can see that there was a tremendous amount of work going on and the visuals are very nice. Lots of eyecandy. But the main reason I like it, as a developer is the underlying massive enhancements of the security architecture. And very nice features lie the TXM and much more. I have seen some minor things but no showstopper for me. I'm very...
November 27th 06 05:49 PM
by niknik Go to last post
2 182
More restrictions in "program files" except of writing ? by Muemeister
Hi guys, short but significant question: Next to the restriction to write to "C:\program files" directory are their other restrictions in that location? I mean what's the deal with that location if I cannot write lets say application session files there? I would prefer to install my app to C:\MyApplication rather to the program files folder. Do I gain disadvantages because of such a step?
November 27th 06 04:46 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 202
AntiVirus by Altimax98
Heya Guys, I guess alot of us with Trend Micro antivirus are thinking about this but what are we to do for antivirus, starting the first of the year. my subscription is up then. Mcfee sucks, Norton is only offering 30day trial of theyre beta??? Why?? Symantec needs some help when offering beta stuff. If Microsoft did that we'd all get 30 days of vista then we'd be forced to go back, or buy a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 27th 06 03:35 PM
by John Barnett MVP Go to last post
12 338
We are in BIG troubles guys !!!! by PierreDa
Hi, I think we are in big trouybles with Vista RTM. I "love" the product and install ot witout any trouble BUT when you begin to install what you need problems are coming. UAC is not the spource of the problem for me (I think). I disable it to be sure to be able to install "correctly" some application not yet compatible with Vista (may be it is the point ... application are not compatible...
November 27th 06 03:06 PM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
8 258
Vista: Out-proc servers vs requireAdministrator by Alex Chmut
Hello everybody, By design, our product has a set of applications which have "requireAdministrator" in the manifest and a set of other which have "asInvoker". These applications use (when needed) a signle multi-use out-proc server which has "asInvoker" in the manifest and does not need to be run elevated (we even prohibit it from running elevated). The problem that we see is when a client app...
November 27th 06 12:25 PM
by Alex Chmut Go to last post
2 222
RegCreateKeyEx by Ike Starnes
RegCreateKeyEx always fails on Vista 64-bit. The error code is 5. Does anyone know what is necessary to allow Reg Key creation on Vista 64?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 26th 06 02:10 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
14 410
UAC failed to ask for confirmation. Bug? by Roof Fiddler
Running RC2 with default UAC settings and default filesystem ACLs, logged in as an administrator, I pressed win+e to open windows explorer (thus explorer was not run as administrator) and browsed to another user's home directory, and read a file therein, and got no UAC confirmation prompt. Wasn't I supposed to get a prompt?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 26th 06 02:04 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
17 327
Setting multiple files permissions by Timur Kashayev
How can I set pemissions for more than 1 file? When I select several files and open their properties I can't see "Security" tab. I know that I can set permissions on folder level, but sometimes it's not very convenient.
November 26th 06 11:09 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 171
Bug: Incorrect security message by Alice
When clicking a link on a web site to provide feedback via e-mail (one that starts with 'mailto:'), a window pops up asking for permission to start the default mail program (in my case Outlook 2007). The window has two options: Allow and Don't allow. That's good! But after clicking Don't allow, a message appears "Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not...
November 26th 06 09:24 AM
by Alice Go to last post
0 192
UAC and IE Protected Mode? by Doug Walch
I'm curious to know whether there is a diffence in IE security vulnerability between running Vista with UAC enabled (hence IE is in protected mode, versus, running Vista with UAC disabled, with the user NOT in the local admins group. Thanks
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 26th 06 09:09 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
39 621
Blocking of installation by mik
"Sanya" wrote: Can I disable control of compatibility of installing software? strongly unrecommended
November 26th 06 08:12 AM
by Jupiter Jones [MVP] Go to last post
4 186
Remotely reading HKLM registry key by Jerry West
I have been successful in reading the registry on remote Vista systems --for the most part. I have no trouble reading the HKCU keys. I can read most of the HKLM keys. However, I have found that some of the HKLM keys are not accessible for reading. For example, I can read any value within the following remote registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion But if I try to...
November 25th 06 02:46 PM
by Kurt Harriger Go to last post
4 275
How to perform High security tasks from a low level security app?? by GSLockwood (IUnknown)
Hello, In other threads, I've seen recommendations to in order to circumvent the vista permissions dialogs that they build their .net application with a manifest in a particular way. How to do the equivalent from C++? Is there a "manifest" technique?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 25th 06 12:10 PM
by Kurt Harriger Go to last post
12 333
DON'T DISABLE the UAC and be happy to use a Standard Account by mik
DON'T DISABLE the UAC and be happy to use Windows as a Standard Account.
November 25th 06 11:01 AM
by Kurt Harriger Go to last post
8 210
Can't write back backup files in some directories by PierreDa
Hi, Vista RTM. New install. I become a little bit crazy when trying to do "simple things" ! I have administrator rigths ans I disabled UAC directly after finishing installing Vista. Everything is installing perfectly ... right now ;-)
November 24th 06 03:39 PM
by PierreDa Go to last post
0 180
HowTo delete app compat. settings? by Thomas Boerkel
HI! Vista has automagically made some compatibility settings for some applications, namely "ElevateCreateProcess". How can I delete these settings (I want to try again with a different version of the apps)? I can see them in the Compatibility Wizard and in the Application Compatibility Manager (from ACT 5.0). But neither of them seem to be
November 24th 06 06:20 AM
by Thomas Boerkel Go to last post
2 225
Web Banking problem by Martin Racette
Hi, I'm running Vista 64bit, and so far everything is just working as advertise, except for one thing (an important one though) When I try to login to my bank (TD Canada Trust), I get to the login just right, but when I click the login (after I entered ID, and password), all I get is an error page that tells me to make sure that the SSl and TLS is enable (they are all enable)
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 23rd 06 06:58 PM
by black clouds Go to last post

From The