Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
keyboard input issue by jsingsa
the characters i type don't match the ones that show up on the monitor. I tried checking the keyboard layout nothing wrong with it. when i type the A key i get SW! is my KEYBOARD broken? help please
October 23rd 07 03:16 PM
by Malke Go to last post
1 138
Windows Vista Business and AVG 7.5 by IanT
I have just updated from XP professional to Vista Business. My Antivirus programme is AVG I am now unable to load resident shield - and cant find any help anywhere. Can someong please guide me where I should go. Thanks,Ian
October 23rd 07 11:03 AM
by Charlie42[_2_] Go to last post
1 185
ActiveX Installer Service REPOST by Ragnar
Hello (reposting again since I got NO answers) I'm testing the ActiveX Installer Service (AxIS) and I'm not getting this to work correctly. I'm currently testing this on a Windows Vista Ultimate computer member of an Windows Server 2003 SP2 Active Directory domain. This is what I did: 1. Installed the ActiveX Installer Service on the Vista computer. 2. Configured to ActiveX Installer service...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 23rd 07 06:16 AM
by jb3 Go to last post
16 392
Problems with Vista security obsession! by Larry S.
After choosing to reformat my hard drive and do a clean reinstall of Vista, I've run into some strange problems with Vista security that I wasn't having before. First of all, When I installed Hotsync Manager (to sync with a Palm TX handheld), I find that every time I boot up I get a Windows message that some programs were blocked (in quick launch). I can go in and instruct the program to...
October 23rd 07 06:15 AM
by Larry S. Go to last post
0 211
Outlook 2007 by Lawrence
I cannot go to URLs in incoming emails as I get a message not possible due to restrictions in place on this computer. Refer to your system administrator. Please help
October 22nd 07 11:35 PM
by OKuma Go to last post
1 252
yEnc by martha
gotta new computer. Vista Home Premium. Always before I used Yenc32 to open yenc binaries. It no longer works. I get a "Could not execute yEnc32 to decode this file" message. It's a "HewlettPackard Media Center PC" I didn't get a Vista disk with the computer. I have an XP disk. I'm wondering... I know that Vista is a ram hog... I'm thinking that I would get a lot more bang out of 3+gigs of...
October 22nd 07 04:29 PM
by silverlight168 Go to last post
4 587
Windows Firewall Problem by John[_15_]
Every time I boot up my Vista Home Premium machine Windows Firewall is turned off. I have to manually turn it on EVERY time I boot up. It doesn't matter if the WIFI I'm using is set for "Public" or "Private". How do I change the Windows Firewall settings to turn on the firewall regardless of the type of WIFI connection I'm using?
October 22nd 07 04:28 PM
by John[_15_] Go to last post
7 626
Error installing ActiveX cab on Windows Vista by Joe K
I have a 3rd party ActiveX control I distribute with my software that fails to install on Windows Vista. When I install it from the browser, it prompts me to install, appears to have been successful, but the install fails silently. Using the MS ActiveX log utility, I can see it fails with an error: "Code Download Error: (hr = 80004005) Unspecified error". If I manually copy this ActiveX to the...
October 22nd 07 12:57 PM
by Joe K Go to last post
4 230
windows defender by Farbuncle
any views on how windows defender stacks up with other such programs?
October 22nd 07 03:12 AM
by David Go to last post
2 190
Backing up BitLocker recovery keys to Active Directory by Andreas Stenhall
I have written a short guide about how to backup BitLocker recovery keys to Active Directory, find out what you need at http://www.theexperienceblog.com/2007/10/21/backing-up-bitlocker-recovery-keys-to-active-directory/ Regards, Andreas ------------------------------------------------------------------ Blogging about the experiences with XP, Vista and Server 2008 www.theexperienceblog.com
October 21st 07 07:27 PM
by Andreas Stenhall Go to last post
0 186
Unknown Program/Application Startup by Henri Monnier
After a recent death of my old machine I have upgraded to a new machine. During the process of transferring, somehow I have ended up with a 'box' in the upper left corner with "cancel" in it. It cannot be moved or deleted and does nothing that I can see when it is 'clicked' on. Additionally there is a task in the taskbar, that has the word "ZIP" (in red) and under it a blue paperclip (on...
October 21st 07 04:54 PM
by Henri Monnier Go to last post
0 205
Startup Programs Not Being Executed by GLSmyth
I am new to Vista and am crippled by all of the security requirement. All of my startup programs are not working, and I am particularly concerned with AVG being blocked. When I bring up Windows Defender it is telling me that AVG is not yet classified. How do I get it classified so that it runs when I start the computer. Thank you for your help.
October 21st 07 02:07 PM
by GLSmyth Go to last post
0 160
Bleu screen caused by Antivirus Sotware by Sacha Vieux Roy
I think the only 2 Antivirus Software Products I Have A -Windows Defender 1.1.1505.0 -Kapersky Interne Security 6.0.6.621 In the past I have experience quite a few stability issues with Kapersky, this may be the worst yet. I had installed Kapersky Internet Security 7. Because, I had more stability issues with this upgrade, than the previous version, I downgraded to 6.0 Today I Got This...
October 21st 07 01:11 PM
by Malke Go to last post
1 193
Which Firewall is best for Vista? by JJ
I was reading the very much informative responces between David Bedee MSFT an Mr Arnold which I thought were very informative and interesting BUT when you are not at tech or computer savy about the inner workings of a PC it still leaves one in a quandre about there answers. It all sounded so technical and to the point. Windows firewall has been slammed because it protects only incoming. I DO...
October 21st 07 11:51 AM
by Hank Arnold (MVP) Go to last post
4 212
LAN Manager Security setting in Vista Home Premium by sbirkner
I have Vista Home Premium and need to change one of the LAN Manager security settings to enable my X-Box Media Center to access shares on my Vista machine. I understand that I don't have secpol or gpedit, but I also understand that those apps just alter registry settings. Can someone here help me with what I need to tweak in the registry to do the following? In "Network Security: LAN Manager"...
October 21st 07 11:30 AM
by Andreas Stenhall Go to last post
1 164
windows defender command line utility fails by knight-gkla
I get frequent freezing caused by windows defender command line utility. the problem is with Mp Telemetry and the detail is below Problem signature Problem Event Name: MpTelemetry Problem Signature 01: 8024402c Problem Signature 02: EndSearch Problem Signature 03: Search Problem Signature 04: 1.1.1505.0 Problem Signature 05: MpSigDwn.dll
October 21st 07 08:02 AM
by knight-gkla Go to last post
0 129
Virus Guards by DK[_2_]
Which is better NORTON or AVG????? Now I dont know if any of you can answer, but VERIZON offers a FREE "package" Yahoo online protection.., I have used it on XP., is this NOW compatable with VISTA??? -- D J
October 20th 07 04:12 PM
by anandk Go to last post
3 250
Firewall settings for Brother network printers (e.g. 5250DN and 1870N) by No Name
I've recently switched to Vista (new laptop) and can't get my Brother laser printers to work from behind the Vista firewall. I've set an exception to let "File and Printer Sharing" pass through the firewall (as suggested on the Brother website), but no joy. Both my printers (5250DN at home and 1870N at office) work fine when I disable the firewall. Any idea what programs/ports I have to set...
October 20th 07 04:11 AM
by Mr. Arnold Go to last post
1 199
why has my security centre stopped by outlaw
my security centre has stopped and i dont know how to get it back on.
October 19th 07 07:20 PM
by midway Go to last post
1 190
A New Vista Security Policy on Audit:Force Audit Policy Subcategor by Gayle
SCENoApplyLegayAuditPolicy is the registry Value that stored the value of the Security Policy Audit: Force Audit policy subcategory settings(Windows Vista or later) to override audit policy category settings There are 3 instances of this Registry value on a Vista machine. What do each of these correspond to? eg.Under 1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet001\Control\Lsa 2....
October 19th 07 04:51 PM
by Paul Adare Go to last post

From The